BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Harmon Kardon vs Hi-Fi Sound System

02-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
jamot
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Ford Fiesta

Harmon Kardon vs Hi-Fi Sound System

Hi Everyone,

Is the difference between Harmon Kardon system vs Hi-Fi Sound System vastly noticeable?

Is the Harmon Kardon really worth the extra cash you pay for it?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
Underwood
BMW > Audi+ Merc. Simple math.
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 14' Wrangler

yep
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
Occean
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1 series

I have I only heard the standard and hk systems.

I have the hk, and I'm quite into my audio and it really is a top system, one of the best incar system I have heard. If I had to have one option, this would be it.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
airblade550
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118D Auto Mineral Grey

I had the pro hu and the std speaker system with my E87 which I soon upgraded via the Alpine route... I always assumed that the BMW Business speaker system was on par with the Alpine, ie tweeters in the mirror housings in the front doors... However, after checking in the options spec list, http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesfor...lequipment.pdf, it would appear that tweeters are not included in business pack for the F20 just mid-range speakers front/aft/dash with two woofers... You have to specify the HK system to get any real, "HiFi" potential, which is what I spec'd for my new F20 expected in March...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
Sonnig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 118i Sport

Is the HK hifi system available to add after if I did not order it with my car?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
me11ada
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series F20 118D Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnig
Hi Sonning, check with your dealer if it hasn't entered it's build phase then you can as it's what I did, if it has an upgrade may be possible once it arrives but will probably cost more - hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 01:40 AM   #7
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 116i (F20) Auto

Garage List
The professional Hi-Fi is not that good. I have it in my car and I can barely notice any difference compared to the standard one...it is nowhere near in audio quality compared to the Professional Hi Fi I had in my E46. If I could order the car again, I would either pay for the HK or keep the standard one...the HiFi is not worth it.
2005-07: BMW 325ti (E46)
2004-05: BMW 318i (E36)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
LUV2XLR8-NL
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i Business Sportline

Garage List
I had HK in my 2005 MINI Cooper...it was great in all sorts of music!
      02-09-2012, 12:35 AM   #9
jamot
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Ford Fiesta

Thanks. Everyone has been very helpful.

I'll go for the HK.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 05:24 AM   #10
AlpineVert
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i vert

And just to make sure you don't have any buyer's remorse.
The HK is fantastic. It's my favorite option.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #11
Doubleyou
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 116d F20

I have tested all 3 systems at the IAA in Frankfurt last September. HK is really super! But I decided for the Hifi Active as I think this is also a very nice upgrade. The standard system is not bad but I could really hear the difference. I had a limited lease budget so I decided that the Active system was good enough and spent the difference with HK on other options . You can not have it all...But if you can: take the HK!

Last edited by Doubleyou; 02-11-2012 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #12
Sonnig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 118i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by me11ada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnig
Hi Sonning, check with your dealer if it hasn't entered it's build phase then you can as it's what I did, if it has an upgrade may be possible once it arrives but will probably cost more - hope that helps
Thanks me11ada, I be checked that in Hong Kong, I can upgrade the system to an Alpine system via BMW dealer. But kardon must be ordered with the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #13
padishah
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F20 1.16i

Is it possible to upgrade pro system to harman kardon ? Or does it need more holes for speakers?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #14
MI35i
Rep
Drives: M135i

I am getting business loud speakers in my car as don't have to pay extra... HK is £580 (Bit steep). If I get hold of the HK centre (mid range), HK front door (mid range) and HK rear shelf speakers would they just straight swap over? Not interested in faffing with changing amps adding tweeters etc.

I assume they are all same size/fitment and same connectors? Just better quality speakers? Might work out a decent upgrade without much cost/effort.

PS from what I can gather, the individual speakers are around £40 each so poss total upgrade around £200

Last edited by MI35i; 03-13-2013 at 08:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #15
Bradbury
Vroooooom!
Norway
Rep
Drives: F20 120d

Garage List
I had standard speakers in my E87 and HiFi in my current F20. Honestly I don't notice much of a difference. Then again, I'm not much of an audiophile. I was content with the standard speakers, so I probably wasted money on the HiFi (wish I'd gotten the speed limit camera instead).
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #16
airblade550
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118D Auto Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI35i View Post
I am getting business loud speakers in my car as don't have to pay extra... HK is £580 (Bit steep). If I get hold of the HK centre (mid range), HK front door (mid range) and HK rear shelf speakers would they just straight swap over? Not interested in faffing with changing amps adding tweeters etc.

I assume they are all same size/fitment and same connectors? Just better quality speakers? Might work out a decent upgrade without much cost/effort.

PS from what I can gather, the individual speakers are around £40 each so poss total upgrade around £200
i would be surprised if you complete the speaker upgrade for that price, (using genuine parts), unless of course u have access to a friendly parts dealer.

The main differences between HK and Pro are Amp power, eq, tweeters front and rear and of course better quality and higher power handling speakers.

In addition to the HK speakers, (if u choose the genuine upgrade path), would be mouldings front and rear plus some kind of x-over to filter the low frequences from the tweeters.

As has already been mentioned, the Pro is missing any tweeters and as you have mentioned you are not so worried about power. Therefore, the most cost effective and least hassle upgrade is just to add tweeters at the front only. You would still need the mouldings and x-overs but it would be much cheaper and a worthy quality increase. Better still to get some third party tweeters which would fit the mouldings and prob come complete with suitable x-overs.

Whilst the other speakers, door and parcel shelf would be better, it is unlikely without the xtra power supplied by the HK amp, that u would notice much of a difference...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #17
tawia
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F21 125d

Garage List
Back in my day, I seen me paying £600 for a poxy alpine CD head unit, then having to buy speakers amps and subs, then the hassle fitting and wiring everything. HK system for £550... Was a very easy choice. And loving it
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #18
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawia View Post
Back in my day, I seen me paying £600 for a poxy alpine CD head unit, then having to buy speakers amps and subs, then the hassle fitting and wiring everything. HK system for £550... Was a very easy choice. And loving it
Lol very true.... But it was fun though
      03-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #19
MI35i
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by airblade550 View Post
Whilst the other speakers, door and parcel shelf would be better, it is unlikely without the xtra power supplied by the HK amp, that u would notice much of a difference...
I believe with hifi in general, you get a bigger increase in sound quality from upgrading speakers as to upgrading amps so i think the doors and rears might be worth a shot for little cost. The business amp is fairly powerful anyway. This is the part for rear shelf + centre (mini i know but same part no). It gives an idea of the cost.

http://www.minigenuineparts.co.uk/mini-parts/info_BM65_13_9_169_690.html

If i decide to do this il report back.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #20
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

as one of the dying breed of audiophiles, and the owner of the standard system due to it being f*g overpriced, my two pence says that the construction of the door card and in particular the ability of it to cope with pressure differential in front of versus behind the speaker cone is the most important factor. "its all about the housing"

also Harman International aren't what I would call a premium speaker brand. Neither are the bose ones audi plonk in. Put in something from B&W or Castle and I will consider it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #21
tawia
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F21 125d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcomma
as one of the dying breed of audiophiles, and the owner of the standard system due to it being f*g overpriced, my two pence says that the construction of the door card and in particular the ability of it to cope with pressure differential in front of versus behind the speaker cone is the most important factor. "its all about the housing"

also Harman International aren't what I would call a premium speaker brand. Neither are the bose ones audi plonk in. Put in something from B&W or Castle and I will consider it.
I'm an audio engineer, went through several years of education, have a trained ear and have many hours listening to the best of the best monitors in very expensive treated studios. perfect listening condition you just don't get anywhere else. I agree, Bose are just a marketing success, but for the money the HK system is very good. I have tested it with my usual reference material and altho not perfect, its very good and gets a thumbs up. At this price its a bargain and would recommend to anyone.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #22
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawia View Post
I'm an audio engineer, went through several years of education, have a trained ear and have many hours listening to the best of the best monitors in very expensive treated studios. perfect listening condition you just don't get anywhere else. I agree, Bose are just a marketing success, but for the money the HK system is very good. I have tested it with my usual reference material and altho not perfect, its very good and gets a thumbs up. At this price its a bargain and would recommend to anyone.
at least we agree on bose
Appreciate 0