2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications How difficult to upgrade turbos and tune?

02-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
jchris
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 HPF Stage 3

How difficult to upgrade turbos and tune?

First of all I'd like to say that I'm not a gear head what so ever so thanks for your patience.

How difficult will it be for a tuner to push the envelop and see the true potential of our engines by upgrading the turbos and tune.

I hear a lot about upgrading the tune but what about upgrading the turbos?

The E60 M5 has just developed a supercharger a few months ago. So it took over 5 years after the car was released before anyone made the upgrade.

Will it take that long on the F10 550 engines as well?

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
Jimefam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550I Msport

Tuning is the only issue, if there is one competent tuner who can custom tune the car we will see upgraded turbos very quickly. The hardware part is super simple it's just being able to make it all work. The good thing is there are several companies currently working on tunes for this car and since already came turbo'd you'll never have to figure out as much as an E60 M5. As soon as there is a proven tuner who can do custom tuning I will upgrade my turbos.
Appreciate 0