E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Adaptive Headlamps Warning after 10 Minutes

02-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
Shane23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Adaptive Headlamps Warning after 10 Minutes

Ok i've searched for an answer but most people with the problem either saw the warning once or twice and it went away or some just have bigger problems..

I got new Headlights, and I placed the module from my old headlights onto the new ones along with ballast..

Problem is, I start car and my lights do their level check, if i turn the wheel they work.. even after i start to drive they turn completely left and completey right.. However around 10 Minutes sometimes less sometimes more, I get the warning and then they dont work @ all, the little green led is also blinking on the control..

My passenger side was hit low impact only cracked the housing, but i bought two new lights didnt want them to look uneven...

My only guess is to just try and buy a new module for the pass side..

But what else can it be, its not that they are not working @ all, they work and then stop.. (My brain says has something to do with heat as the car gets warm) but I cant think which way to pursue this problem, can it be something with programming, but these are the same modules from original headlight..

Thx in advance..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Alpineweiss e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 330xi

Does this happen even when the car is parked? Like if you leave it for 10 minutes, does the error come up?

If it doesn't, then it's probably a loose connection.

The AHL modules need to be programmed, then coded to your car. My dealer quoted me $290 for just programming and coding in addition to the $160 the new module costs.

My passenger side blew out and I got a used one of eBay for $100. It was a direct swap, no programming. But it matched the same specs as my car....passenger side and US spec.

I've heard you can code a blank .man file to the FRM module and this will code them back to stock.

But I think your issue is a loose connection.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
Shane23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpineweiss e90 View Post
Does this happen even when the car is parked? Like if you leave it for 10 minutes, does the error come up?

If it doesn't, then it's probably a loose connection.

The AHL modules need to be programmed, then coded to your car. My dealer quoted me $290 for just programming and coding in addition to the $160 the new module costs.

My passenger side blew out and I got a used one of eBay for $100. It was a direct swap, no programming. But it matched the same specs as my car....passenger side and US spec.

I've heard you can code a blank .man file to the FRM module and this will code them back to stock.

But I think your issue is a loose connection.
Never tried, i will try this..

Ive been told that maybe the manual adjustment just needs setting, if its too extreme when the lights are moving they may touch the housing and the ECU will disable them thinking something is wrong..

will let you know of outcome
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Alpineweiss e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane23 View Post
Never tried, i will try this..

Ive been told that maybe the manual adjustment just needs setting, if its too extreme when the lights are moving they may touch the housing and the ECU will disable them thinking something is wrong..

will let you know of outcome
I don't think the manual adjustment will have anything to do with it.

But if it does, first try moving the modules to either side. Are you positive you replaced each module to their original side? I believe programming tells the module what to do....ie sets it to US or Euro regulations. Coding will tell the module which side it's operating on....driver or passenger side.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
Shane23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpineweiss e90 View Post
I don't think the manual adjustment will have anything to do with it.

But if it does, first try moving the modules to either side. Are you positive you replaced each module to their original side? I believe programming tells the module what to do....ie sets it to US or Euro regulations. Coding will tell the module which side it's operating on....driver or passenger side.
Well it fooled, me I adjusted them, while the battery was off for about 20 minutes, once i put everything back went driving, and it lasted for about 45 + minutes on my way home..

Parked the car..no problems

Woke up this am started driving, 5 minutes into drive Bamm its back...

The modules are on the correct side because; when they werent, the adaptive headlamps wouldn't do the automatic self check on start-up.

Really wanted to exhaust any other method before dealer but I guess its where im going to end up..

Last edited by Shane23; 02-07-2012 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0