E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > 2007 e92 armrest / console cable route

03-11-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
BMSilicon
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '07 335d (E92)

2007 e92 armrest / console cable route

Hi,

I need to get a USB and an iPod cable through into the driver armrest compartment. Cables are currently (hopefully temporarily) routed from the headunit under the console trim and pulled out through the handbrake gater.

Inside my armrest I have a cupholder, aux/power socket and a plastic plate labelled TCU which I believe is for mobile phone charging and signal boosting, however I do not use it and I would like to remove it to get to the grating underneath. Removing it however requires unclipping from the underside to which I haven't worked out how to access yet.

If someone knows what I can do on the e92 to achieve this I would appreciate some help

Cheers
Craig
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
BMSilicon
United Kingdom
Rep

Someone out there must have done this before?

Basically a way to unclip the TCU socket (if you have one) from within the armrest of an E92 to get to the gaps underneath.

I have seen a guide for adding a TCU piece, however this can be done from above the armrest which doesnt help much :/

Cheers
Craig
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

I haven't tried uninstalling one but I think the center console needs to be removed to get to the grating due to the anatomy of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
BMSilicon
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers PINeely,

I was hoping I wouldn't have to do this as it will be masses of work and time, but I guess I will do what I have to do...

I was hoping that the plastic panels that face the passenger and driver seats on each side of the console could somehow be removed as an easy access point.

Any one else fancy chipping in here?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
BMSilicon
United Kingdom
Rep

I had another dig around to try and get wires through to the arm rest in the E92. I can safely say that there is no way into it from the rear console. Pull out the rear vents and trim and there is some strengthened plastic blocking access to the aux-in plate rear, beneath which are vents which seem well wedged by numerous other plastic parts.

What is the switch inside the armrest near the phone cradle that can be switched between '1' and '0', it looked promising for releasing the phone cradle but didn't seem to help?
If I could somehow get the cradle out or the aux in plate or the power socket out from the top this would be so much easier.

Cheers
Craig
Appreciate 0