E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Recommended Springs + Shocks and few questions....

03-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Recommended Springs + Shocks and few questions....

I dont feel the need to pop for coilovers at the moment (not tracking, and only small amounts of driving), so i am wondering what are the recommended shocks + springs? I am trying to get a lower, and more confident/planted suspension ( i took a ride in a friends M3 and feel my suspension is lacking ).

Im very unfamiliar with suspension components, so all help is appreciated (:

So my questions:

1) What shocks + springs should i go with, if it went that route?

2) How are coilovers better? If its only a few 100 dollars difference, ill just go with BC Coilovers (recommended over shocks/springs?)

3) Combined with the BCs or Springs/Shocks, what other suspension bits would provide a more planted feel? Sway arms or something???

Thanks!!!

Sorry for a most probable repost, i couldnt find any info to be honest... search system is not too great lol

Eric
      03-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
shoopdawoop
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI Jet Black 335i

bump
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Keep in mind the M3 feels different not only because of different shocks and springs, but also because nearly every other part of the suspension has stiffer bushings and is made of aluminum, to name a few.
See here for a full explanation:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379775

Those M3 parts will not change the ride height; only springs/shocks do.

2) The advantage of coilovers over just shocks and springs (for street purposes) is that you can adjust the ride height; the springs determine the ride height with regular shocks and springs. Coilovers are just matched shocks + springs with adjustable ride height (aka, threaded shock body), not anything magical.

RECOMMENDATIONS ... depends on budget. (I'm assuming lowering is your priority at moment). Low budget ($1.5k or less total including install/alignment) I'd go shocks + springs.
I'm not a fan of low-end coilover kits (less than $1k - like ST, KW V1) because they are cheaply made and can rust and leak in a short period of time. A simple search here validates that. Low-end coilovers are simply adjustable lowering kits, nothing more; they're not advertised to improve handling/ride.

You'll get a better riding and handling setup by going with independently chosen shocks and springs. The tricky part is figuring out the right springs to get the ride height you desire.

Some springs to look into:
-Eibach Pro-Kit (very moderate drop)
-H&R Sport (moderate drop)

This is a kit to consider:
http://hpashop.com/HPA-Stage-1-E82-E...on-e82-e9x.htm
The Koni Yellow shocks are well respected and rebound adjustable so you can match them to the springs you get.
      03-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

As such a crucial component of your vehicle, suspension is definitely something you do not want to cheap out on. Are you looking for something that is going to give you the ability to adjust the height of your car? If you answered yes, then you probably want to look into getting a coilover setup. A coilover suspension basically gives you a matched lowering spring and shock absorber combination with the added benefit of adjustable ride height and spring rates through a moveable spring perch or perches. Coilovers are to your car's advantage by reducing unsprung mass, increasing suspension travel, and allowing the car to be corner balanced.

To clarify, coming from the makers of KW suspension systems the only main difference between the ST Variant 1 and KW Variant 1 is the steel they use. While KW uses Stainless Steel for their shock housing, ST uses Galvanized Steel. However, this does not mean a drop in quality, durability, or appearance. Although coilovers that use galvanized steel are more prone to corrosion due to environmental influences (i.e. mixture of salt water); those in the lower states: California, Texas, Florida, Nevada, etc. don't have to worry about corrosion. Those in the mid to upper States that snow still don't have much to worry about as long as they do not drive in heavy snow conditions upon where salt is used on roads. To further ensure those with doubt about Galvanized Steel, ST has corrosion resistant zinc plating on all of their threaded strut housings for further protection.

If you're not looking to adjust the height of the car and are okay with out the box drop rates, then going with a spring and shock combo is a great option. The Koni adjustable shocks (aka Koni Yellows) are a great choice and will give you the ability to control the stiffness/damping of the shocks.

Lowering rates E92 335i:
H&R Sport Springs - Front: 1.3" & Rear: 1.2"
Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs - Front 1.4" & Rear: 1.0"
ST V1 - Front: 1.2"-2.4" & Rear: 1.0"-2.2"
KW V1 - Front: 1.2"-2.3" & Rear: 0.9"-2.1"
Appreciate 0