E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > St coilover's v. oem sport suspension

03-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
jephs422
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 335i E90

St coilover's v. oem sport suspension

So, I'm on the fence. I did search a bit and didn't really come up with anything.

Basically, I probably won't ever track my car more than once a year. I will however, continue driving the crap out of it in the canyons. So originally I figured it was an easy choice and just get a set of V2's. But with all the ST coilovers for sale right now, I thought I might pick a set up.

How much better will the ST's handle over my oem sport suspension (if at all)
How much better will the ST's ride over my oem sport suspension(if at all)

I'll grab the the st's provided they at least make the car handle a little better than stock and ride a little better than stock. Also, I really need to bring the car down, so I'm hoping I can get at least a full inch lower.

Here's how it sit's now...

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
YMB_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BSM M3 6MT

off topic but what did you do to your taillights? are they tinted or is that just photoshop shadow effects?
the car looks great
and what % is that tint?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
jephs422
Private First Class
Rep

it's just a stupid cell phone pic. It's the only one I have. The tails are stock...but i am one set of inner tails away from completing my LCI conversion, LOL! my roof is wrapped now and my trim is black too.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
jephs422
Private First Class
Rep

ehh screw it, ordering V2's.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
TitanLH8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi

lol I was hoping there would be more responses to this thread as I'm on the fence between OEM sport suspension and ST coilovers too. Please update on your thoughts when you get the V2s installed
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanLH8 View Post
lol I was hoping there would be more responses to this thread as I'm on the fence between OEM sport suspension and ST coilovers too. Please update on your thoughts when you get the V2s installed
Guys get the ST coils, I got them from LTBMW and I rode from non-sport susp. You'll get the drop you want and the feel is much better, I've already tested most of the rough roads I drive around in the NorCal area, it's held up. No clunking, thumping, creaking, it's all good. Just get alignment done after 2 weeks of settling. My wife and baby have no complaints of any harshness. And my back doesn't hurt from any stiff susp. handling.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
It's strange for someone to consider between the OEM sports suspension and coilovers. I would say that even the OEM sports suspension is ultimately leaning towards comfort and not performance. The ST/KW coilovers lean towards performance but still keep a reasonable degree of comfort. The coilovers are a significant performance upgrade over the sports suspension, but the ride is significantly stiffer.

I really can't see a reason to pick the OEM sports suspension to replace the stock suspension. It's a big waste of money. The only OEM suspension that does make sense is the BMW Performance suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
TitanLH8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
It's strange for someone to consider between the OEM sports suspension and coilovers. I would say that even the OEM sports suspension is ultimately leaning towards comfort and not performance. The ST/KW coilovers lean towards performance but still keep a reasonable degree of comfort. The coilovers are a significant performance upgrade over the sports suspension, but the ride is significantly stiffer.

I really can't see a reason to pick the OEM sports suspension to replace the stock suspension. It's a big waste of money. The only OEM suspension that does make sense is the BMW Performance suspension.
Oh no, I wasn't deciding whether to change my suspension to OEM Sport or ST. I currently ride on OEM Sport Suspension and wanted to know if there would be a significant difference if I changed to ST coilovers. Sorry for the confusion.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
e92ALi
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i Coupé

jephs422, check out my post. i just installed ST's on my car. LOVE IT!

my gf has oem bmw sport suspension on her 128. I am not a fan, personally! and not much of a drop compared to my oem 335i suspension. i find the oem sport waaaay to stiff/firm! With ST's the dampening is much better IMHO. Plus, you can adjust the height!

I wanted something with a beautiful drop without sacrificing comfort, i got that with ST.
      03-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #10
jephs422
Private First Class
Rep

My main objective is performance. However, I don't want to give up any more comfort than it already lacks. The OEM sport suspension I have now, combined with the 19" rims really rides like crap. I'm going to attempt to stuff some bigger tire in it to help alleviate a bit of that too.
I want the v2's because they are the only set of coilovers I've had a chance to try out. My buddy has a E93 with them and it rides WAAAY better than my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
tscdennab
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jephs422 View Post
My main objective is performance. However, I don't want to give up any more comfort than it already lacks. The OEM sport suspension I have now, combined with the 19" rims really rides like crap. I'm going to attempt to stuff some bigger tire in it to help alleviate a bit of that too.
I want the v2's because they are the only set of coilovers I've had a chance to try out. My buddy has a E93 with them and it rides WAAAY better than my car.
What's interesting is that some aftermarket suspensions improve both performance and comfort. I installed Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit (my review is on this section) and felt a big improvement in comfort and also in handling with the Bilstein monotube dampers. But it's not an all-out performance suspension, ST V1 is probably better in the performance area (stiffer springs).
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
TxBeem
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Would KW V2's ride better than ST V1's? I'm debating whether to spend the xtra $600 to get V2 if the ride is more comfortable. I'm riding on BmW performance spring/strut combo and with 4 in car it's not that comfortable. Too harsh when I hit those humps on the freeway. Do you get that affect if you run coilovers?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #13
tscdennab
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBeem View Post
Would KW V2's ride better than ST V1's? I'm debating whether to spend the xtra $600 to get V2 if the ride is more comfortable.
ST V1 would ride like KW V2 with the stiffness knob set at the middle. If you set the KW V2 at a softer setting, the ride would be more confortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBeem
I'm riding on BmW performance spring/strut combo and with 4 in car it's not that comfortable. Too harsh when I hit those humps on the freeway. Do you get that affect if you run coilovers?
Yes, I think you will get that effect even with coilovers, especially with ST V1/KW V1. Doesn't matter if it's coilovers or not, the fact is that KW/ST have stiffer springs than BMW Performance and the shocks are valved to handle those springs. KW V2 at the softest setting may provide a slightly more confortable ride though, but remember that KW V2 are adjustable only for rebound, not for compression (which is what happens when you hit bumps).
Appreciate 0