E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Need to replace ballasts/relay harness

03-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
BOSSBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Need to replace ballasts/relay harness

Hello,

As some of you may already know I've been struggling with lighting issues for the past year. They have gotten progressively worse, now turning off while driving, and turning back on randomly, sometimes only one, sometimes both are affected. I won't get into that part though, if you need to know more, ask.

Basically I've gone through the basics. My car is an '06, and I know they are difficult. I had the car coded by onebadmofo (excellent dude, reallllly knows his shit.), no more errors. But alas, I still have the same issues with my lights.

I also relocated my ground connection, thinking perhaps that was the culprit. My headlights were converted by e90_ndy 2 years ago, they are the OEM projectors.

While doing my VCG I was addressing my concern with a colleague and tapped on the ground connection in my engine bay. What seems like the ballast, started making funny buzzing sounds, which I had not heard before. This is what prompted me to move the ground to the more common location, behind the washer fluid hose. No difference in the lights. They still suck.

This harness that was sent to me with the lights came with 2 resistors on each side (the long bronze colored ones). One of them has since broken off and detached, and simply unplugging it from the driver's side didn't seem to have any affect on the functionality.

Basically, before I start throwing buko bucks at this, by replacing the entire lighting system, I think I should try replacing the ballasts and relay harness. Can anyone point me in the direction of a known-working, reliable one? I'm not trying to dish out the money for OEM if I can avoid it.

I attached a PDF containing the info of what this dude did to 'convert' my headlights. Thanks for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMWLS - PreLci PDF.pdf (912.5 KB, 383 views)
      03-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
BOSSBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

BUMP- I find it hard to believe that NO ONE can take the time to comment on this. Your help is appreciated.