F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > European Delivery? Advice, Tips, Tricks, from those that have been ???
Extreme Powerhouse

03-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

European Delivery? Advice, Tips, Tricks, from those that have been ???

My lease is up in September,

I would like to set up ED, I would also like to turn it into a mini-vacation with my wife. Do not want to be gone too long, as we have little ones that we miss.

Please provide any help, hotels, routes, tricks, advice, and stories from your trip. Including the day of pick up at BMW.

Also: I would like to drive through Italy, and would love to see Paris, but I wonder if that should be a flight to Paris rather than a drive in the new car?

Where would you drive, what routes would you take, what is the best way to manage time w/o compromising on sites.

In order what are the best spots
Switzerland, France, Italy, Belgium be as sepcific as possible and hotel reccomendations are appreciated.

Thank you so much for this valuable inormation !!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Check out all the European Delivery threads and features we've posted throughout the years and you'll get a great idea of many of the things you're asking.

See http://www.bimmerpost.com/europeandelivery/
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

It depends on how much time you'd like to spend in Europe. When you're talking about Italy and Paris, etc. I would advise against rushing the whole thing, plus you will be driving a lot so, take that into account. Take your time and enjoy.

If you know how much time you can devote you can start from there. Also, factor in if you do travel in the summer, it will be beautiful but also more expensive (just wanted to get that out of the way). In addition, more people on holiday as well, I do remember summer traffic jams many, many years ago in Europe.

Any particular areas you want to see in Italy? Personally, I would make a list of must see cities and then work around that.

P.S. Don't forget to factor in your drop-off location. That will be quite important in planning your trip.

*Edit- Realized that you'd probably be in Europe in Fall, that'll be quite a nice time to be there.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

I actually might be there in summer. BMW has offered me and (probably most of this forum) to leave my car 3 months early for the f30.

Thanks for the advice, I would rather have been there now, or in April/May, I know some people over there now, they avoid summer all together. I can probably be flexible and try for fall.

Since the thread is so broad, just any hints, or must do items, would be better.

If I were to do it over, I would do this, or if I went again I would definitely do this....

That sort of thing.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
chicagolab
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 2006 TiAg

I did ED in 2006 with my e90 and it was a wonderful experience. Link in my signature for details on the trip. Used priceline for hotels and was able to stay at Sheraton in Munich and Hilton in Paris for about $100 a night, see biddingfortravel website l, they give you an idea of how much to bid and what area and what star class. The Alps were great (take the tram up the mountain in Mittenwald, incredible views at the Austrian border). Munich is a really nice city. Paris was nice but I had been there many times before and probably wont go there on my next ed, skip Frankfort. Heidelberg was nice and again another tram up a mountain and a day cruise on the Rhine was memorable.

I will try at all costs to do this again and am expecting to get a F30 via ED probably in Sept if not sooner but I definitely want the 2013 model. was planning on JUly like you but I dont think you can take delivery of the 2013 until it is released here but I am not positive so it would be closer to September. I did a ton of research before I went and luckily a dealer in my area has an expert in ED and he was great to work with and gave me a ton of pointers.

Good luck

E90 330i | Titanium Silver | Black/Aluminum | Step | Idrive | Sunshades | PDC | Heated Seats | M3 Lip | Roof Spoiler | Front Splitters | Lux 5.0 | Blacklines
Link to my European Delivery write up:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143486
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
martyl
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I did ED in 2006 and go to Europe regularly so you will enjoy the experience. Since you have limited time, I would try to limit the places you see. Germany is a great country so you could just stay there and see Munich and the Bavarian Alps. If you want to go outside of Germany I would go to northern Italy, especially the Lake Como area. For me it is the most beautiful part of Italy and you can see southern Switzerland as well which includes Lake Lucerne. Como is in the footlhills of the Swiss alps. We have seldom stayed at hotels in Europe and almost always opt for condos, apartments, convents, inns etc. They are cheaper and more authentic than a chain hotel. Go to www.vrbo.com to get a sense of your options. One great drive in Germany is the Romantic Road and the town of Rothenburg which is like something out of fairy tale. You can get info on that easily.
      03-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

Thank you.

I would like to be gone maybe 8-10 days max. I have power traveled around parts of the world where I would stay in a place and see it all by getting up early and hitting it hard "sans my young kids".

I would like to see the factory, drive the autobahn, Munich, then get on the road. I do not have to drive, I can take trains, etc, to see the rest. Really want to see Switzerland, Italy, and possibly France.
Appreciate 0