E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Too many LEDs and FRM Module?

03-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
335xi_zer0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 2007 335xi

Too many LEDs and FRM Module?

So a while back, I had an interior LED kit and LED angel eyes in my 07 335. The interior kit was put in in October and the angel eyes in December.

The interior kit never had any issues and worked perfectly. The angel eyes worked amazingly as well.

However, after about a month I started getting a "door open" error all over the car and it was nonstop. It also only happened at night/or in a garage, so when the highlights/angel eyes had to flip on.

I took out the interior kit and it kept giving me the errors. I tested the nighttime theory and when I switched them to on during the day, the error popped up again.

I found out it was a blown footwell module, which I have since replaced. I just recently put the interior kit back in and has given me no issues.

So the question is: was it the angel eyes that caused the blown FRM? Was it just bad luck? Would it be safe to put the angel eyes back in without blowing the module again? If I went with a different manufacturer, would that help?
      03-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
TheeGovernor
Life is better with burnouts
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
If any of those leds had resistors or capacitors, they could have overloaded the frm. Please post the led and angel kit you used and if they have resistors/ capacitors.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
335xi_zer0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks.

I got the HighPerformanceBulbs replacements for both.

HPB Interior Kit: http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/bmwe90hipoin.html

HPB Angel Eyes: http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/bmwaneywh6wa.html

The interior kit comes highly recommended and again I didn't have issues before.
      03-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Alpineweiss e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeGovernor View Post
If any of those leds had resistors or capacitors, they could have overloaded the frm. Please post the led and angel kit you used and if they have resistors/ capacitors.
All LED units have resistors. Some have caps.

OP, who told your FRM was blown?....because I doubt it was.

The door open error is a known problem with cheap AE units.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
335xi_zer0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

BMW said the FRM was blown. And my mechanic said too I believe.

If I went with a better set like the MTEC V.3 AE, would I probably eliminate this error?
      03-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

if the frm was blown, switching AEs won't fix that. its a hardware component in your car, costs a few hundred. email HPB and ask for am exchange of the AEs and that should fix the car on lift error. sounds like a defective unit.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
335xi_zer0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
if the frm was blown, switching AEs won't fix that. its a hardware component in your car, costs a few hundred. email HPB and ask for am exchange of the AEs and that should fix the car on lift error. sounds like a defective unit.
I already switched out the FRM. I'm wondering if getting the more renowned AE manufacturers would fix the issue by paying the extra amount of money for the quality?

I just don't want to blow another FRM and pay for yet another one if the whole situation can be avoided.
      03-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

good point. perhaps best to pay up for something of slightly better quality, just to be safe you know? the HPB ones are extremely good for the price...but they're not the best out there. if you can afford to pay more then why not!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
Alpineweiss e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 330xi

The AEs the OP linked to can be found on eBay....they are cheap. Any LED unit without a constant current drive source is cheap....

Like I said before, the door open error is a known problem with the cheaper AE units being sold. I don't know which units exactly have these problems, but some do throw this error.

Do you still have your stock AE bulbs? Install those. Does the error go away? If it does, there's your answer.
Appreciate 0