E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Gilbert@ModBargins ST Coilovers

03-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
chaosticbry
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

Gilbert@ModBargins ST Coilovers

just like 2 take a minute to say thank you to Gilbert@modbargins
he was extremely helpful, and convinced me to go with the ST Coilovers vs. the KONI FSD shocks with Eibach Pro-kit and im glad i did, car handles way better, the ride feels smoother, and and the drop is perfect. they were defiantly worth it! they installed it for me the same day witch worked extremely well since i work 7 days a week and not much free time. thanks again ModBargins!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosticbry
he was extremely helpful, and convinced me to go with the ST Coilovers vs. the KONI FSD shocks with Eibach Pro-kit and im glad i did, car handles way better, the ride feels smoother, and and the drop is perfect. they were defiantly worth it! they installed it for me the same day witch worked extremely well since i work 7 days a week and not much free time. thanks again ModBargins!
Just curious...you're making a comparison and glad you chose what you did on what basis? Did you try the Ebachi/FSD kit?

Again, just curious because I myself am looking for a good set. I wanna drop 2" front and at least 1" back without loss of too much ride comfort.

Too many suspension sets, hard to decide. Plus I have an E93 I need something that can handle that weight.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
chaosticbry
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

i had the Ebachi/FSD on my e46
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
E93MAC
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 328i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosticbry View Post
i had the Ebachi/FSD on my e46
I'm in the exact same boat as you. I have an e93 also and am wondering what to get with a good enough drop that ride comfort isn't sacrificed.

Did you receive any new insights into what you will be going with?

Thanks!

Mac.

################[Mac's '07 E93 328i]################
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosticbry View Post
Thanks again for your order/support and I'm glad that you ended up going with the ST V1 coilovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
Just curious...you're making a comparison and glad you chose what you did on what basis? Did you try the Ebachi/FSD kit?

Again, just curious because I myself am looking for a good set. I wanna drop 2" front and at least 1" back without loss of too much ride comfort.

Too many suspension sets, hard to decide. Plus I have an E93 I need something that can handle that weight.
The answer is simple; you get what you pay for when it comes to vehicle suspension. As such a crucial component of your vehicle, suspension is definitely something you do not want to cheap out on. A coilover suspension basically gives you a matched lowering spring and shock absorber combination with the added benefit of adjustable ride height and spring rates through a moveable spring perch or perches. Coilovers are to your car's advantage by reducing unsprung mass, increasing suspension travel, and allowing the car to be corner balanced.

Coming from the makers of KW suspension systems the only main difference between the ST Variant 1 and KW Variant 1 is the steel they use. While KW uses Stainless Steel for their shock housing, ST uses Galvanized Steel. However, this does not mean a drop in quality, durability, or appearance. Although coilovers that use galvanized steel are more prone to corrosion due to environmental influences (i.e. mixture of salt water); those in the lower states: California, Texas, Florida, Nevada, etc. don't have to worry about corrosion. Those in the mid to upper States that snow still don't have much to worry about as long as they do not drive in heavy snow conditions upon where salt is used on roads. to further ensure those with doubt about Galvanized Steel, ST has corrosion resistant zinc plating on all of their threaded strut housings for further protection.

Seeing how you're from Canada, you may want to look into getting a set of the KW V1 coilovers as the shock housings are made of stainless steel. Both the ST and KW coilovers make a specific application for the E91/E93 models.

KW V1 E91/E93 (non xi) drop rates:
Front: 1.2"-2.3"
Rear: 0.8"-2.0"

ST V1 E91/E93 (non xi) drop rates:
Front: 1.2"-2.4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93MAC View Post
I'm in the exact same boat as you. I have an e93 also and am wondering what to get with a good enough drop that ride comfort isn't sacrificed.

Did you receive any new insights into what you will be going with?

Thanks!

Mac.
Both the KW V1 and ST V1 coilovers will give you the ability to adjust the height of your car with pre-set damping from the engineers at KW. This is perfect for an everyday driver and does still maintain a ride quality that is similar to the OEM Sport Suspension. It’s slightly stiffer and will definitely give you more responsiveness on turns as compared to the OEM setup.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
That's pretty descriptive Gilbert, but I honestly don't care to be messing around with ride height with this car. I want a modest drop to get a slight tuck without sacrificing comfort and adding some grab when turning.

Can I not get these benefits from a spring kit and shock combo?
Again my goal is a modest drop over sport suspension, ride handling upgrade, but maintain comfort as much as possible.

I was interested in the Ebachi/FSD kit, but the drop rating doesn't specify whether or not that's front sport height or regular height. I also heard the Koni sports are more appropriate for drop purposes than the FSD's.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

I got my ST coils from Alan************, They have a good team over there.

As for the STs. I love them, the ride has improved a lot, and I can tell, I drive on NYC roads. they have helped with my rubbing issue, when I had H&R springs on stock shocks, I could hear my fender liners being shredded apart, but at teh same height on the STs, there is no rubbing, no noise. My only gripe is that the rear looks like a monster truck on the lowest setting. It comes nowhere close to the height I had with the H&R sports. My installer said to give it time to settle. I guess he may be right, I could tell it went down on the ride home but it still has far to go, ideally i want one finger space between the tire and quarter panel.
      05-29-2012, 02:49 AM   #8
bmw888
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s.com View Post
Thanks again for your order/support and I'm glad that you ended up going with the ST V1 coilovers

The answer is simple; you get what you pay for when it comes to vehicle suspension. As such a crucial component of your vehicle, suspension is definitely something you do not want to cheap out on. A coilover suspension basically gives you a matched lowering spring and shock absorber combination with the added benefit of adjustable ride height and spring rates through a moveable spring perch or perches. Coilovers are to your car's advantage by reducing unsprung mass, increasing suspension travel, and allowing the car to be corner balanced.

Coming from the makers of KW suspension systems the only main difference between the ST Variant 1 and KW Variant 1 is the steel they use. While KW uses Stainless Steel for their shock housing, ST uses Galvanized Steel. However, this does not mean a drop in quality, durability, or appearance. Although coilovers that use galvanized steel are more prone to corrosion due to environmental influences (i.e. mixture of salt water); those in the lower states: California, Texas, Florida, Nevada, etc. don't have to worry about corrosion. Those in the mid to upper States that snow still don't have much to worry about as long as they do not drive in heavy snow conditions upon where salt is used on roads. to further ensure those with doubt about Galvanized Steel, ST has corrosion resistant zinc plating on all of their threaded strut housings for further protection.

Seeing how you're from Canada, you may want to look into getting a set of the KW V1 coilovers as the shock housings are made of stainless steel. Both the ST and KW coilovers make a specific application for the E91/E93 models.

KW V1 E91/E93 (non xi) drop rates:
Front: 1.2"-2.3"

ST V1 E91/E93 (non xi) drop rates:
Front: 1.2"-2.4"

Both the KW V1 and ST V1 coilovers will give you the ability to adjust the height of your car with pre-set damping from the engineers at KW. This is perfect for an everyday driver and does still maintain a ride quality that is similar to the OEM Sport Suspension. It’s slightly stiffer and will definitely give you more responsiveness on turns as compared to the OEM setup.
ST V1 how to compare to performance shocks set up?
Appreciate 0