E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Help: 2008 To 2010 Headlight Swap?

03-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
ITS_NEMESIS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 328i

Help: 2008 To 2010 Headlight Swap?

Okay, ive done about 30 mins of research and, once and for all, need a simple yes or no for this potential conversion.

It seems as if LCI/pre-LCI years differ between E90 and E92, correct? I recently purchased a 2008 328i coupe, and looking to trade headlights with a 2010 328i coupe. We both have adaptive xenon headlights. Will this be a direct plug and play swap? Ive found mixed information when swapping these years of an E92. Some mention the housing shape and bumper issues, other mention ballasts and wiring, and then some list these model years as the same build (no fitment issues during 2007-2010).

So will we really be able to trade headlights smoothly? Id prefer not to run into any ballast/coding issues. And id certainly not like to start replacing my bumper and other front end parts to make this happen.

FYI... reason for swap is that im purchasing his OSS modified headlights. I just want to make triple sure im not digging myself into a hole with this potential pre-LCI vs LCI situation. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
ITS_NEMESIS
Private
United_States
Rep

Bump... Anyone?

Id really like peace of mind for this transaction by tonight. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
ExpensiveTaste
Poor Kid with Dreams
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 07 E90 335xi

I'm pretty sure you're going to need coding since the LCI's have LED turn signals. AHD might not work as well but I'm not sure. I would post this in the coding section or PM one of the coding gurus.

'07 BSM 335xi JB4, DCI, CX Racing I/C, ER Chargepipe, Meth, KW V3 - Pending Sale
'95 Mustang GTS 347ci Ported TFS TW Heads,Custom Cam,Victor 5.0 IM,Tubular Front Suspension,Full Exhaust,Big and Littles
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

for e90s, they can just swap in e90 LCI headlights and do coding.

for e92s, you need a new bumper to get the e92 LCI headlights to fit. the actual shape of the headlights is different.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

If we are talking E92, then both 2008 and 2010 will be pre-LCI and will be a direct swap. E92 LCI wasn't until 2011 model year.

Not sure how the OSS angel eyes are setup, but you might need some coding to remove bulb check errors for the AEs. Fitment wise they should be plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
ITS_NEMESIS
Private
United_States
Rep

Yes, sorry if my initial post was a bit confusing. To clarify, this is E92 to E92. But it seems as if we're pulling the same contradicting information that i found in my research... lol.

If the physical shape is different, requiring a new bumper, etc then i will definitely hold off. If it's "only" coding, what is needed to fix that issue? Do i take it to the dealer to have them reset some values? Or is it more of a complex situation?

It definitely sounds like i'll be encountering at least some coding problems, though, which id rather not even deal with. Unless someone can 100% confirm that it is virtually plug and play, then im leaning towards steering away from the deal.

Thank you all for the assistance thus far.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Wait pause...the 2010 coupes didn't have the new lights. Make sure they look like this--take note of the turn signal area and the white strip across the top of the light. http://media.photobucket.com/image/r...s/P1010825.jpg

You'll definitely need to do coding, I have no doubt in my mind about that. But that's the easy part. And it's not "virtually" plug and play, at the very least you need a new bumper as well.

But I just read your situation, and I think you're misinformed. I think this guy had his e92 Pre-LCI lights shipped off to OSS, which came back with full-LED rings, am I right? In that case, as long as they are pre-LCI lights, they should be plug and play.

You know what would make this easy? Post a pic of one of the lights this guy wants to sell to you and I'll verify it for you!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
ITS_NEMESIS
Private
United_States
Rep

rollinstone,

Thanks the detailed reply!

Your first comment is actually the main thing I'm trying to determine here. Did 2010 E92s even have the new headlights yet? I've received and looked up all sorts of contradicting info. Some threads I've found even say that early 2010 models had the pre-LCI headlights, and late 2010 models had the LCIs.

Having said that, though, his headlights definitely do not look like the ones you linked to, I know that much! They do not have the brow or updated turn signal. So this leads me to believe that we are trading the same headlights. Below are a pic of mine, and a pic of his after OSS modification:

Mine-

His-

I've probably turned myself paranoid after going back and forth to make sure they're the same general shape and build. At this point, I think I'm correct, but I'd love some confirmation from some of you guys with much more knowledge than myself (only owned the car for a month and a half).

So since they look to be the same pre-LCI E92 headlight, will I still require a new bumper? That is now the main concern. If I still need to switch out my front end, then I'm not really looking to go down that road. Too expensive.

If I only need some coding done, then it seems like there are some very reputable members in my area that should be able to help out.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITS_NEMESIS View Post
rollinstone,

Your first comment is actually the main thing I'm trying to determine here. Did 2010 E92s even have the new headlights yet? I've received and looked up all sorts of contradicting info. Some threads I've found even say that early 2010 models had the pre-LCI headlights, and late 2010 models had the LCIs.

Having said that, though, his headlights definitely do not look like the ones you linked to, I know that much! They do not have the brow or updated turn signal. So this leads me to believe that we are trading the same headlights. Below are a pic of mine, and a pic of his after OSS modification:

Mine-
[Img of Pre-LCI headlight]

His-
[Img of Pre-LCI headlight w/ OSS rings]

I've probably turned myself paranoid after going back and forth to make sure they're the same general shape and build. At this point, I think I'm correct, but I'd love some confirmation from some of you guys with much more knowledge than myself (only owned the car for a month and a half).

So since they look to be the same pre-LCI E92 headlight, will I still require a new bumper? That is now the main concern. If I still need to switch out my front end, then I'm not really looking to go down that road. Too expensive.

If I only need some coding done, then it seems like there are some very reputable members in my area that should be able to help out.
Build date is a critical factor in this, and I can't tell you when the E92 switched over to LCI builds, but here's some easy ways to tell:
1. the brow and turn signal.
2. the schweet factory angel eyes.
3. The car is either a 2011 or 2012 E92/E93 (coupe/convertible)

I can tell you with 100% certainty that that is simply the same E92 Pre-LCI headlight, but with the OSS LED rings installed. As such, they will fit without any body modification. You MIGHT need coding, depending on how the previous owner had OSS do the rings (when you purchase, you can have Luis wire in resistors, or tell him to skip on the resistors and do the coding yourself). I would code regardless, I don't like the strobing you sometimes get on startup. And if there are resistors installed, you can remove them, and then get the added benefit of reduced power draw if you chose to code! You can also code out the amber corners and amber running lights with...coding. Which is another big plus.

TL;DR: the headlights will work with no cosmetic modification to your car. Good call on the headlights!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
ITS_NEMESIS
Private
United_States
Rep

Terrific response, man! Youve been a gigantic help in easing my mind and making sure that im not looking over any costly details. Sometimes i can freak my own self out by thinking twice.

It sounds like i should get them coded, regardless, so that i can even tweak certain settings to my own personal preference. I had actually considered getting some other things on my car altered through coding, so this gives me the incentive to follow through with that idea. I will ask the current owner of the headlights about those resistors when we officially begin the transaction/payment tomorrow.

Again, i owe ya one! This is what makes the forum so great. Cant wait to get them swapped out now!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 12:43 AM   #11
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
rollinstone,

Mine-

His-

those are both pre-LCI e92 headlights. that being the case, you can swap them directly. no need for a new bumper.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 07:16 AM   #12
ITS_NEMESIS
Private
United_States
Rep

^^ Thanks! Good to see someone else confirm.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #13
Vigorous
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I'm very interested in this topic as well, since I'm in the same situation. I do realize that the 2007 and 2008 offer the same headlight setup. However, if 2008 OSS lights are swapped with a 2007 headlights, what coding is required on both cars (if the resistors are left alone)? Help please!
2007 Montego Blue 335i Coupe / VRSF Downpipes / ETS Intercooler / Injen Intake / Alufelgen SF-71 Hyperblack / Orion V4 Angel Eyes / Aero Lip / M3 Side Skirts / CSL Trunk / Roof Spoiler / HID 3000k Fogs / Painted Shadowline Trim / Lowering Perches
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #14
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigorous View Post
I'm very interested in this topic as well, since I'm in the same situation. I do realize that the 2007 and 2008 offer the same headlight setup. However, if 2008 OSS lights are swapped with a 2007 headlights, what coding is required on both cars (if the resistors are left alone)? Help please!
All of the E92/E93 Pre-LCI lights are exactly the same, regardless of year. So the 2008 OSS lights on the 2007 car will work just fine, assuming there are resistors wired in. And if there are no resistors, just code and you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #15
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Terrific response, man! Youve been a gigantic help in easing my mind and making sure that im not looking over any costly details. Sometimes i can freak my own self out by thinking twice.

It sounds like i should get them coded, regardless, so that i can even tweak certain settings to my own personal preference. I had actually considered getting some other things on my car altered through coding, so this gives me the incentive to follow through with that idea. I will ask the current owner of the headlights about those resistors when we officially begin the transaction/payment tomorrow.

Again, i owe ya one! This is what makes the forum so great. Cant wait to get them swapped out now!
No problem! Just lending a helping hand!
I do think you should get the car coded, there's so many things you can do! From folding mirrors, to navigation tweaks, to auto-closing sunroofs...it's a fantastic "mod".

Let me know how it goes! And in the off-chance you do run in to any sort of problem, I'll help you out!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #16
Vigorous
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
All of the E92/E93 Pre-LCI lights are exactly the same, regardless of year. So the 2008 OSS lights on the 2007 car will work just fine, assuming there are resistors wired in. And if there are no resistors, just code and you'll be fine.
That's what I figured, but what coding is required though?
2007 Montego Blue 335i Coupe / VRSF Downpipes / ETS Intercooler / Injen Intake / Alufelgen SF-71 Hyperblack / Orion V4 Angel Eyes / Aero Lip / M3 Side Skirts / CSL Trunk / Roof Spoiler / HID 3000k Fogs / Painted Shadowline Trim / Lowering Perches
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #17
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

To eliminate the bulb checks for the angel eye bulb. If the OSS has no resistors wired in, then the car will think the angel eyes are burned out and throw a bulb out error.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #18
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
To eliminate the bulb checks for the angel eye bulb. If the OSS has no resistors wired in, then the car will think the angel eyes are burned out and throw a bulb out error.
Exactly!
Appreciate 0