E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Ok to use 3mm spacer with stock wheels?

03-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Ok to use 3mm spacer with stock wheels?

Hello, I would like to add some 3mm spacers to my E90 with stock 162’s and am curious what the verdict is on the compatibility. Some vendors say no go cause of the beveled bore on the wheel and others say its ok. Anyone running them with stock or beveled wheels without issue?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

my question is why only 3mm?? stock offsets are conservative, so 3mm isnt going to change much in looks imo.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I am not really concerned with looks, rather the slight performance gain from 6mm more track.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

I run 18mm spacers in rear with extended lugs. Visually looks amazing. going to probably get 10mm for the fronts.

3mm seems like a waste of money and time installing them.

I have an e90 330i with stock 162 wheels

And you wont notice much if any performance gain with spacers, especially 3mm
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
Hey Ant
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

3mm spacers wouldn't make a difference in performance, your wheels will only be 3mm further from your current stock wheels. You will never tell a difference if you were to look at them, save your money and get real spacers or wheels that will fit to your liking.

I heard if you use 1mm spacer, it will increase performance and make your wheels poke, regardless of what wheels you have. You should look into that. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Ant View Post
3mm spacers wouldn't make a difference in performance, your wheels will only be 3mm further from your current stock wheels. You will never tell a difference if you were to look at them, save your money and get real spacers or wheels that will fit to your liking.

I heard if you use 1mm spacer, it will increase performance and make your wheels poke, regardless of what wheels you have. You should look into that. Good luck.

Wow, thanks for that excellent insight. If 3 and 5 mm spacers are so insignificant, why to the race teams I have crewed for use them to do minor tweaks to the car? But hey, sounds like you know more than they do. I'll be sure to forward on your contact info so you can inform them about how the illest poked 225’s on 10” wheels with ET18 will win them more races. Also, BMW saw fit to increase the track on the LCI and it was in the range of 6-8mm. But again those guys know nothing about car set up.

And you may be right that it could be $100 wasted, but looking around this forum, I see way more money being wasted on completely useless cosmetic mods. Each to their own.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
onebadmofo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Sounds like you already made your choice, why bother asking others' opinion?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
I am not really concerned with looks, rather the slight performance gain from 6mm more track.
is your car already set up for track? unless its heavily tracked, i dont think 6mm extra track is worth anything in my opinion. the race crews you reference do it because theyre going after that specific race time/lap, and every split second counts. on a street car, you're way better off by the simple switch of tires alone. dialing in suspension travel. wheel widths and offsets. camber. toe. if it comes down to "3mm spacers" all the others should've been pretty much accomplished prior. just throwing on 3mm spacers because race cars do it is as useless as throwing on canards on the front bumper of a stock car because "race cars use them too." just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmofo View Post
Sounds like you already made your choice, why bother asking others' opinion?
I was asking if people know if the spacer is compatible with stock wheels as some of the vendors/manufacturers say 3 and 5 mm spacers are not for wheels with beveled bores. I wasn't asking if people thought it would look cool or if I would notice the difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #10
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edirtaynine View Post
is your car already set up for track? unless its heavily tracked, i dont think 6mm extra track is worth anything in my opinion. the race crews you reference do it because theyre going after that specific race time/lap, and every split second counts. on a street car, you're way better off by the simple switch of tires alone. dialing in suspension travel. wheel widths and offsets. camber. toe. if it comes down to "3mm spacers" all the others should've been pretty much accomplished prior. just throwing on 3mm spacers because race cars do it is as useless as throwing on canards on the front bumper of a stock car because "race cars use them too." just my 2 cents.
exactly. That’s why I already have spring and shock upgrades, M3 arms, custom alignment and PS2's. Just wondering if these will fit or if the wheels will be unbalanced or un-centered on the hub. I think I am just going to buy them and find out. And you are probably right, that it’s not necessary and I probably won’t notice, but it’s something I want to try.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

It'll work. But I'd go at least 10mm in the rear and 12mm front if you want to feel any performance gains on a stock car. I honestly don't think 3mm's is going to satisfy your wants.
      03-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #12
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

I'm not answering your question, in fact, I'd like to find out the same. But I think due to the vast majority of the forum members being more focused on the looks, you probably will have to try on your own and see. I mean, ultimately that's the only way you'll really learn.

I do believe that even a few mm spacers will change handling slightly because they alter the suspension geometry. One can assume that the tires are further away from pivoting joint, thus making the car sit a little lower and increase a bit of negative camber; further, front wheel rotation arc becomes larger in diameter, and this may change steering quickness and effort, etc. I have no idea as to what extent. I'll prob try myself in the near future.

Sorry I haven't really answered your question; no I don't know if you can just slap on the 3mm spacers between your OEM hubs and OEM rims using OEM bolts RELIABLY...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #13
mave198
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Get a ruler out brotha so you can see how insignificant 3mm is.

I have 162's and I'm running 15mm front and 20mm rear.

If you're lucky, you might have a shop by you with some spacers lying around so you can try before you buy.
Appreciate 0