E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Basic Cell Phone

04-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
eogintz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi coupe

Basic Cell Phone

Hi Folks,

I hope that some of you can offer your valuable input regarding a problem that I am having.

I own a 2008 328xi and have been using my old (about 7 years old) Motorola RAZRV3XX with this car. This phone has worked flawlessly until now. I am starting to get some weird error messages. etc. and I think that it is time to upgrade. I am on the AT&T network.

I have no need for a smartphone since this phone is only used for calls and text messaging. I am retired.

Last week I went into my local AT&T company store and would you believe that they had 34 smartphones and only 5 basic phones which all looked and felt like junk. I have no intention of paying their monthly data plan fee for a smartphone since I do not want it or NEED it.

I am not opposed to get an older model unlocked gsm phone branded for AT&T through Ebay but I don't know which phones are good and will pair with my BMW. BMW has been of no help at all unless I am looking at current smartphones.

Would any of you have a good quality basic cell phone which pairs with the BMW that you could recommend?

My needs are pretty simple but I would, like good call quality and reception, good battery life, good volume and a phone that pairs easily with our cars. A touch screen or traditional keypad would both be OK providing that the keypad is of decent size.

I had ordered and received through Ebay an older model Motorola and I was just supposed to swap SIM card and be set. However, this phone was not branded for AT&T and functioned erratically and did not provide all of the features that my current phone which was purchased from AT&T had. I contacted the Ebay seller and he agreed to a full refund. It appears that to get all of the functions of your carrier the phone must be programmed for your carrier or else you will get your basics and nothing else. I was also told that if I buy an unlocked phone branded AT&T the phone is supposed to provide all of the functionality as if you bought it at an AT&T store. This is what I am told.

Any advice or suggestions you can make would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Ed
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

How about the "quick messaging" phones with a keyboard?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
i've always been a fan of Sony Ericsson phones
they usually stick to the bluetooth specs and have less issues
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-ERICSSO...item256ecad5e8
      04-19-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
eogintz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi coupe

Thank you guys for your responses. I will look into the Sony Ericsson and would you be able to give me any models about "quick messaging phones?. I am not familiar with any of these models. Thanks again guys.

Ed
Appreciate 0