ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-20-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
shiyan
has no social skills
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0 Roadster

new Mini Cooper S or used Z4 2.5...

Hi everyone, great forum

I'm from Belgium, and am currently looking for a new car. I almost decided on a new Mini Cooper S, but then I found that for the same price I can get a 3~4 year old Z4 2.5 from BMW's "Premium Selection" - 2nd hand cars with 2 year guarantee from BMW.

The most important aspect of my purchase is having fun behind the wheel - hoping to visit Spa and Nurburgring in the near future.

So I'm wondering, does the 2003~2004 Z4 2.5 have sufficient power for its weight to have fun? (141kW)

Also, is there any modding potential to this engine?

and my apologies if I offend anyone by comparing a Z4 to a Mini
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

you know, unless you feel the need for the droptop, I might be tempted to say the mini S would be more fun.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
shiyan
has no social skills
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
you know, unless you feel the need for the droptop, I might be tempted to say the mini S would be more fun.
thanks for the lightning fast reply!

I was not expecting this reply from a Z4 forum

indeed this country isn't really that sunny so I'm not really in it for the drop top... Had I been able to choose between a Coupe and a Roadster with the same engine I'd definitely pick the Coupe.

In your opinion, should I get the Mini now and wait a few years till when I can afford (and get insurance for) a 3.0 Coupe?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 07:15 PM   #4
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

My GF has a Mini S and it is fun to drive. I say sell your furniture , television , computer etc and get them Z4M coupe ...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 07:16 PM   #5
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

I actually like the style of the Z4 much better, and even with the 2.5 the Z4 should carry a power advantage

the mini has better steering and it's hard to say, but it's just a really "fun" car. It's one of the most entertaining cars I've driven at any price.

The huge speedometer and quirky styling on the mini are big drawbacks to me though

how about a 1 series, or the upcoming 1 coupe? that's sort of in the middle of the 2 cars
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 07:21 PM   #6
ovrkll
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Blue Z4M

There are a few people on this forum that have owned/own MINI's, so do not be surprised. I think it will come down to what you want to do, from what you posted earlier about mods, the MINI is one of the best vehicles on the roads to do modifications to (many vendors available and not very expensive). There are not many Z4 modifications available, and the ones that are, tend to be more expensive than a regular vehicle.
For handling and driveability, take them both out for a test drive and decide for yourself what fits your desires.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 08:00 PM   #7
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
My GF has a Mini S and it is fun to drive. I say sell your furniture , television , computer etc and get them Z4M coupe ...
Definately.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 08:24 PM   #8
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
uh....Z4 coupe or roadster, hands down.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 09:22 PM   #9
FloridaBoy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.oi

Good gosh, why are you even asking this question.
The Mini is to... well, mini.
Get the roadster.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 09:43 PM   #10
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

The Mini Cooper S would be a wonderful buy! It's small, cute, hip, and there's plenty of room in the back for your dresses and make-up kit!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 09:47 PM   #11
felixoz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Titanium M Roadster

Have you test driven both? Both are German engineered, but only one has German styling...

Two very different cars, best chose them for both they both represent and what you want to do; (i) taking GF on alpine roadtrips or (ii) stealing gold from northern Italian banks?

The 2.5 is a bit underpowered IMHO. Might be a power/weight choice. Also I've heard Mini is a bit mini on interior and seat comfort.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 03:40 AM   #12
ovrkll
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by takedown8 View Post
The Mini Cooper S would be a wonderful buy! It's small, cute, hip, and there's plenty of room in the back for your dresses and make-up kit!
I see it functioned well for you in your evening gig. What made you change to a Z4?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 03:51 AM   #13
ovrkll
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixoz View Post
The 2.5 is a bit underpowered IMHO. Might be a power/weight choice. Also I've heard Mini is a bit mini on interior and seat comfort.
IIRC the S version is putting out 170HP while weighing in around 2600lbs., not a bad power/weight ratio. There are a couple of MINI's running around that are putting 300hp+ down, so for the uninitiated be careful which MINI you decided to sneer at out on the road, it might have you for lunch (that includes the esses/curves).
The MINI actually has a lot more interior room than the Z4 and the seats are a little more firm. The biggest drawback is the styling, but to each their own, it seems to be a love/hate type of thing when styling is so different from anything elso out there.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 07:30 AM   #14
ZEEFOUR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 3.0i, 03 MB E55 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiyan View Post
Hi everyone, great forum

I'm from Belgium, and am currently looking for a new car. I almost decided on a new Mini Cooper S, but then I found that for the same price I can get a 3~4 year old Z4 2.5 from BMW's "Premium Selection" - 2nd hand cars with 2 year guarantee from BMW.

The most important aspect of my purchase is having fun behind the wheel - hoping to visit Spa and Nurburgring in the near future.

So I'm wondering, does the 2003~2004 Z4 2.5 have sufficient power for its weight to have fun? (141kW)

Also, is there any modding potential to this engine?

and my apologies if I offend anyone by comparing a Z4 to a Mini

ignore the 170HP thats at peak RPMs which is not practical in the real world, compare the torque numbers and where it is in the power band, the lower the better. 2.5 175 ft lbs @3500 Mini 155 @4000, also if your driving it at the track, while the mini does handle great rear wheel drive is the way to go. I believe the 2.5 is 1 second faster 0-60
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 10:34 AM   #15
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

They're both good choices, as you'll get a lot of fun out of either car. They're also both head-turners. Overall, I think you can get more "fun" out of a Mini because of mod potential. But it all comes down to your style and purpose for the car. With the Mini, you can haul ass AND haul a lot of stuff.
      06-21-2007, 03:45 PM   #16
shiyan
has no social skills
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
Even if I were able to afford one, I wouldn't be able to get insurance for it. I can't even get insurance for a Z4 2.5si

If I was 2 years older I can find a E46 M3 without guarantee for the same price as these 2 cars.

I'm 24 right now and Belgian insurance companies have a sort of "performance" limit on the cars you can get insurance for until you're 26 years old
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 03:46 PM   #17
shiyan
has no social skills
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by takedown8 View Post
oh buuuuuuuuuuuurned

I see your point though
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 03:50 PM   #18
shiyan
has no social skills
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixoz View Post
Have you test driven both? Both are German engineered, but only one has German styling...

Two very different cars, best chose them for both they both represent and what you want to do; (i) taking GF on alpine roadtrips or (ii) stealing gold from northern Italian banks?

I've test driven the Mini Cooper S but not the Z4 (yet)

I was actually looking at hot hatches and ended up testing a bunch of them, but then realized with my budget I could actually get a used Z4
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 03:53 PM   #19
shiyan
has no social skills
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
They're both good choices, as you'll get a lot of fun out of either car. They're also both head-turners. Overall, I think you can get more "fun" out of a Mini because of mod potential. But it all comes down to your style and purpose for the car. With the Mini, you can haul ass AND haul a lot of stuff.
yeah they are quite different cars

I wasn't considering convertibles as Belgium isn't exactly the sunniest country, but the Z4 just looks so good

thanks for all the replies everyone
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 04:11 PM   #20
fire-n-ice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

shiyan: I have a 2003 Z4 2.5i, and the power is just fine. I also test-drove a 3.0 and just couldn't justify the 7 or 8 thousand dollar difference in performance. It's not really that noticeable, just slightly. If you want to spend that money, go for an M. I have not driven the mini because its styling does not appeal to me so I cannot vouch for personal experience there.

Don't let anyone dis-sway you from what you really want. It's all about what gives you a smile without having to sell your soul to the devil
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 04:33 PM   #21
soeharyo
lettuce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

I'd go for the Z4 because its a BMW... though the MINI is also a subsidiary of BMW.

Also, don't forget to count in depreciation since you're comparing used with new... buying a reliable used car usually means saving money because you're buying it at a lower price and the price doesn't depreciate as much as a new car (in terms of percentage)

But i think you will have much fun with either car...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 05:44 PM   #22
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiyan View Post
oh buuuuuuuuuuuurned

I see your point though
I'm just joking around with you. I do like the Mini Cooper. It's a cool little car. If you can get yourself a convertible with some sporty stripes, then all the better. Definitely a more practical car than the Z4, but I still don't think you'll have as much fun.
Appreciate 0