E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Anyone got a AA tune on their 328?

04-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i TiAg

Anyone got a AA tune on their 328?

So, i would like to hopefully get my 328 tuned, and since my car is a nonturbo i can only get a powerbox for it, so i was just wondering if anyone with a 328 has gotten the Active flash tune, and if so is it worth getting, meaning does it add a lot of power?

please let me know thanks in advance!!!

Alen

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alen E90
So, i would like to hopefully get my 328 tuned, and since my car is a nonturbo i can only get a powerbox for it, so i was just wondering if anyone with a 328 has gotten the Active flash tune, and if so is it worth getting, meaning does it add a lot of power?

please let me know thanks in advance!!!

Alen
Not a lot, but it is noticeable. Worth it IMO- had it on my 2009 328 coupe. Never had an issue- had it on there for 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Not a lot, but it is noticeable. Worth it IMO- had it on my 2009 328 coupe. Never had an issue- had it on there for 2 years.
thanks for the info, also i was just wondering if i can get it from a vendor on here, and also does the tune do any damage to the motor, thanks in advnce

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
E92ML
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alen E90 View Post
thanks for the info, also i was just wondering if i can get it from a vendor on here, and also does the tune do any damage to the motor, thanks in advnce
As with all tunes, it won't purposely damage the motor but it will cause more wear and tear on the motor since you're running it harder.

Performance: JB4 ECU, CP-E DP's, WW BMS Meth Kit, AR meth elbow, BMS DCI, AFE Intake Scoops,
Exterior: Enkruez 19" H8R, H&R Spacers, Aero Lip, Tint, ACS Roof Spoiler, HID AE's, HID Fogs, Black Grills, Sport Pedals
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92ML View Post
As with all tunes, it won't purposely damage the motor but it will cause more wear and tear on the motor since you're running it harder.
thanks for the info

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92ML View Post
+1 It's all wear and tear. When running a tune, you need to generally change parts/fluids more often than the reccomended intervals as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
+1 It's all wear and tear. When running a tune, you need to generally change parts/fluids more often than the reccomended intervals as well.
do you know how much the parts would run me every time that it would have to be changed?

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
do you know how much the parts would run me every time that it would have to be changed?
Not alot. I'm talking pretty minor parts, like spark plugs on an N54 etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not alot. I'm talking pretty minor parts, like spark plugs on an N54 etc.
oh i see... and i was looking on their website right now and for 499 does it seem like too much for just a tune on a 328?

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
oh i see... and i was looking on their website right now and for 499 does it seem like too much for just a tune on a 328?
That sounds like an OK price to me. Anyone else want to chime in, perhaps someone with the AA tune?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That sounds like an OK price to me. Anyone else want to chime in, perhaps someone with the AA tune?
do you know anywhere else that i could get this same tune but for less?

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #12
RicheyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [8.34]
Quote:
anyone know if a tune is okay if you plan to keep your car long term? In regards to "wear n tear" and damages to the engine etc. Any can you pass yearly inspections with a tune?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #13
Wrngway
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan A6

Eurocharged also carries comperable a tune that may be less expensive.

You should check out the NA Engine board. There are several threads on this. The main AA Tune thread has well over 100 posts.

I've run tunes on several cars, including 2 Camaros, a Grand Prix GTP, and now an AA tune on my 328i. They've all been conservative enough not to cause any significant difference in reliability. The AA tune has a good reputation. I hear less about Eurocharged, but the power difference between both isn't much.

I ran a tune on a '96 Camaro Z28 for over 40,000 miles. It had 130k when I finally sold it. Issues that I've seen reported on 328i's with the AA have all been tracked to issues with other components and not the tune itself. NA engines should be more forgiving than turbocharged cars. Forced induction engines are generally more sensitive to changes. My supercharged Grand Prix was able to pass VA emissions inspections up until when I sold it with 65k miles.

Of all the tunes I've run, I've noticed the most significant difference with my 328i and AA tune. Power comes on earlier and the throttle response is much improved. I haven't really noticed an impact in mileage assuming I'm not too aggressive in acceleration. I would certainly recommend it.

Last edited by Wrngway; 04-29-2012 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #14
Wrngway
Lieutenant
Rep

I'd recommend reading through these threads:

AA thread mentioned above:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634855

One comparison between Eurocharged and a previous version of the AA tune:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683481

Example of some issues traced back to problems with other parts (O2 sensor, etc.):
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533572

Andrew at AA has been very responsive in answering questions on the board. You can always PM him if you want to know some more specifics.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #15
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrngway View Post
Eurocharged also carries comperable a tune that may be less expensive.

You should check out the NA Engine board. There are several threads on this. The main AA Tune thread has well over 100 posts.

I've run tunes on several cars, including 2 Camaros, a Grand Prix GTP, and now an AA tune on my 328i. They've all been conservative enough not to cause any significant difference in reliability. The AA tune has a good reputation. I hear less about Eurocharged, but the power difference between both isn't much.

I ran a tune on a '96 Camaro Z28 for over 40,000 miles. It had 130k when I finally sold it. Issues that I've seen reported on 328i's with the AA have all been tracked to issues with other components and not the tune itself. NA engines should be more forgiving than turbocharged cars. Forced induction engines are generally more sensitive to changes. My supercharged Grand Prix was able to pass VA emissions inspections up until when I sold it with 65k miles.

Of all the tunes I've run, I've noticed the most significant difference with my 328i and AA tune. Power comes on earlier and the throttle response is much improved. I haven't really noticed an impact in mileage assuming I'm not too aggressive in acceleration. I would certainly recommend it.
thanks and so this tune hasn't ever given problems to the engine of your 328?

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #16
Wrngway
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
thanks and so this tune hasn't ever given problems to the engine of your 328?
I've only had it for a few months. I've run their previous version, referred to as Stage 1 and their new Stage 2 tune that replaced the old version. The new one incorporates greater valve lift using the valvetronic system. No problems to report.

I'm running an N51, which is similar to the N52 engine with the exception of slightly reduced compression and the inclusion of a 3 stage intake manifold.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #17
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

None whatsoever. Returned my lease 3 months ago safe and sound. AA knows what they're doing- they've been working with our cars for over 20 years!
They get what little power is left on the table out of the N52 SAFELY.
I know of no one that has ever incurred engine damage from an AA tune.
Just do it man- there are worse things you can do to your car.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #18
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
None whatsoever. Returned my lease 3 months ago safe and sound. AA knows what they're doing- they've been working with our cars for over 20 years!
They get what little power is left on the table out of the N52 SAFELY.
I know of no one that has ever incurred engine damage from an AA tune.
Just do it man- there are worse things you can do to your car.
sounds good, and also just wondering if i should go with this tune or the BMS powerbox tune for the N52?

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #19
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd recommend reading through these threads:

AA thread mentioned above:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634855

One comparison between Eurocharged and a previous version of the AA tune:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683481

Example of some issues traced back to problems with other parts (O2 sensor, etc.):
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533572

Andrew at AA has been very responsive in answering questions on the board. You can always PM him if you want to know some more specifics.
thanks for the links

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #20
Wrngway
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
sounds good, and also just wondering if i should go with this tune or the BMS powerbox tune for the N52?
Again, search for threads on the NA Engine board. You'll find tons on just this question. I checked out the same stuff when deciding on AA.

I haven't experienced the powerbox, here's a brief summary of what I found, but feel free to read for yourself and come to your own conclusions...

BMS does 2 things. It changes how the computer (can't remember the acronym) interprets the input of your throttle. Basically it tells the computer you're pushing further on your pedal then you actually are. For example, when you press down 1/4 of the pedal travel, it may tell the computer that you're pressing down 1/2. This helps throttle feel, but doesn't really help performance. The performance portion, from what I've read doesn't add much. Some say that they don't notice the difference after a month or two. Maybe they're adapting to the tune, or the car is adjusting to the powerbox. Hard to say which is true.

The AA & Eurochaged tunes have a definite impact on performance and it's been shown in dyno charts. On the AA tune, power comes on sooner and continues up to the redline. I notice a significant difference above 3500 rpm. Low end torque is improved as well. I'm sure you're familiar with the throttle lag when you start to press on the gas pedal. There's about a 1/2" on travel before you feel the engine respond. That's nearly eliminated in the tune.

______
[EDIT] Since you're in SOCAL, you may also have the N51 version of the 3.0 I6. Under your hood there should be a sticker stating SULEV (50 state legal) or ULEV. If you have a SULEV than your engine is an N51, same as mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #21
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Just the AA, I was in your shoes last year Thanksgiving time, first get your intake exhaust, then get the tune, do not go backwards. Once you get the tune, run it hard for 500 miles at least to have your ECU recognize the tune faster and you'll be good to go. If you're too scared to run the tune do not do it. If you think you might damage the motor then get ready to convert it to an M3 or just keep up with the maintenance and you'll be good to go.

If this is your daily driver, don't worry about, you're practically driving careful on a daily basis and not trying to pass half dead sleepy drivers on the way to work in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #22
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Again, search for threads on the NA Engine board. You'll find tons on just this question. I checked out the same stuff when deciding on AA.

I haven't experienced the powerbox, here's a brief summary of what I found, but feel free to read for yourself and come to your own conclusions...

BMS does 2 things. It changes how the computer (can't remember the acronym) interprets the input of your throttle. Basically it tells the computer you're pushing further on your pedal then you actually are. For example, when you press down 1/4 of the pedal travel, it may tell the computer that you're pressing down 1/2. This helps throttle feel, but doesn't really help performance. The performance portion, from what I've read doesn't add much. Some say that they don't notice the difference after a month or two. Maybe they're adapting to the tune, or the car is adjusting to the powerbox. Hard to say which is true.

The AA & Eurochaged tunes have a definite impact on performance and it's been shown in dyno charts. On the AA tune, power comes on sooner and continues up to the redline. I notice a significant difference above 3500 rpm. Low end torque is improved as well. I'm sure you're familiar with the throttle lag when you start to press on the gas pedal. There's about a 1/2" on travel before you feel the engine respond. That's nearly eliminated in the tune.

______
[EDIT] Since you're in SOCAL, you may also have the N51 version of the 3.0 I6. Under your hood there should be a sticker stating SULEV (50 state legal) or ULEV. If you have a SULEV than your engine is an N51, same as mine.
thanks again for all the info, and yes i am familiar with the lag that the car has and i hate it soooo much

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0