F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Looking for 5 N20 Downpipe Testers
Extreme Powerhouse

04-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

Looking for 5 N20 Downpipe Testers

Hey guys,

So after a successful event at Buttonwillow over the weekend with our downpipes installed on our F30 328i, we're finally ready to release them to the public for independent review

We're currently looking for 5 testers with easy access to a dyno near them. The downpipes will be offered to you at 40% off retail and locals will also get free installation (Free shipping for those that aren't local).

The only requirements we will have for the testers is that they do a before and after dyno of the downpipes.

If you're interested in being a tester or have any additional questions, please send me an e-mail at johnzhang@evolutionracewerks.com

Oh and for those that are concerned with the CEL that is usually associated with catless downpipes, we have already sent over a prototype unit to BMS and they will be releasing a downpipe fix very soon

Here are some additional pictures that we took of the downpipes. The finished unit will come in 3 different finishes: fully polished, brushed, and thermal coated ($100 extra). You can find our original intro thread of the downpipes here: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674439

Below are some pictures of the extremely restrictive stock cat:

Random fact: The flex section that we use on our downpipes is actually better and cost more than the flex section that BMW uses on the OEM Cat.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

don't you need a dyno tune whenever mods are put on?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 10:35 PM   #3
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT & 12 128i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
don't you need a dyno tune whenever mods are put on?
Welcome to the world of BMW tuning...unlike the Evo (which I just sold), the BMW ECU is far more locked down. The tuning community is not as open, and people generally don't do custom dyno tunes nearly as often as with the Evo community.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

thanks for the welcome! what do you mean more locked down? i know there are ecu chips with pre tuned flashes...but the question is still wont you get the output with a tune somehow? its like slapping on a part and having minimal effect. or are you saying that the ecu automatically adjusts to it? thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the welcome! what do you mean more locked down? i know there are ecu chips with pre tuned flashes...but the question is still wont you get the output with a tune somehow? its like slapping on a part and having minimal effect. or are you saying that the ecu automatically adjusts to it? thanks.
The ECU used by Mitsubishi is not nearly as thoroughly encrypted as the BMW ECU. That means that tuners are not able to connect to the BMW ECU and make changes to maps in the same way you can with Mistu. With my Evo X I had the Cobb Accessport. I could go online and find maps to fit virtually any combination of aftermarket accessories, fuel ratings, etc...You will not find anything like that for a modern FI BMW any time soon. The encryption is one of the reasons there are fewer flash tunes and why they are so expensive - it takes a lot of engineering to get into a BMW ECU. As far as I know there are no ECU chips with pre-tuned flashes for the N20 motor. It would be great if there was! At this point there are only piggy-back boxes like the JB and the Kelleners. Dinan, and Cobb are allegedly working on a flash but there is no ETA.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead View Post
The ECU used by Mitsubishi is not nearly as thoroughly encrypted as the BMW ECU. That means that tuners are not able to connect to the BMW ECU and make changes to maps in the same way you can with Mistu. With my Evo X I had the Cobb Accessport. I could go online and find maps to fit virtually any combination of aftermarket accessories, fuel ratings, etc...You will not find anything like that for a modern FI BMW any time soon. The encryption is one of the reasons there are fewer flash tunes and why they are so expensive - it takes a lot of engineering to get into a BMW ECU. As far as I know there are no ECU chips with pre-tuned flashes for the N20 motor. It would be great if there was! At this point there are only piggy-back boxes like the JB and the Kelleners. Dinan, and Cobb are allegedly working on a flash but there is no ETA.
i already had an understanding of everything you have wrote but then whats the point to all these parts if they aren't gonna give you big gains? for sound? wouldn't you run rich / lean?
is that why there are horror stories of 335s blowing up or cracking?

i guess what im saying is if i were to do it - i would just go with a jb/kelleners/dinan/whoever tune WITH the mods they based it on to optimize it. but to have 100 different cars with variations in go fast parts and all with the same exact tune just doesn't make sense to me.

give me more info - i'm trying to understand as much as possible LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
i already had an understanding of everything you have wrote but then whats the point to all these parts if they aren't gonna give you big gains? for sound? wouldn't you run rich / lean?
is that why there are horror stories of 335s blowing up or cracking?

i guess what im saying is if i were to do it - i would just go with a jb/kelleners/dinan/whoever tune WITH the mods they based it on to optimize it. but to have 100 different cars with variations in go fast parts and all with the same exact tune just doesn't make sense to me.

give me more info - i'm trying to understand as much as possible LOL
Sorry for being capt. obvious!!! In my experience these products do typically give nice gains. My point was just that you won't go get a custom tune for each additional mod. There is a place here in So. Cal. http://www.gintani.com that did some custom tuning on the e90 328i. They were one of the few who offered a flash tune for that car. I have never worked with them and so I am not vouching for their work, but you might give them a call and discuss the f30 with them.

The 335i's had other issues that caused failures, not necessarily related to bolt-on parts. It is too soon to tell what weaknesses these motors will show. However historically dp's, intakes, etc...worked well on the 335i and there is no reason to believe they won't also work well here.

Just don't expect the types of gains you saw with the Evo. Honestly that is one thing (maybe the ONLY thing) I will miss about my Evo...

Now join BMW CCA and come out for some track events and autocrosses!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead View Post

Just don't expect the types of gains you saw with the Evo. Honestly that is one thing (maybe the ONLY thing) I will miss about my Evo...

Now join BMW CCA and come out for some track events and autocrosses!
Not planning on tuning the car...but suspension mods...that is must isn't it?! lol .... where do they usually hold events? all over the place? laguna seca!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

moco you follow socalevo?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
moco you follow socalevo?
I was active on socalevo when I owned my car. Actually the guy who bought my X just won his class at big willow in my former car!!!

BMW CCA has events all over California. Join up and come see what the club is all about!

Back on topic though - Evolution Raceworks is really involved in BMW CCA Club Racing and has some really fast cars. Hopefully their down pipes add lots of good power to the N20!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

i wonder if i can get some parts done for free at berk.
Appreciate 0