E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Help!! DIY M3 paddles not working

05-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Help!! DIY M3 paddles not working

Ok,

Just bought a brand new M3 steering wheel for my 2011 335 Sport.

My 335 has the standard sport wheel (non-M sport) and the LCI paddle shifters.

I bought M3 paddles from a fellow poster, installed them in the M3 wheel and installed the wheel on my car.

No check control messages. Paddles do not work. And strangely, when I put the transmission over to the left in Drive sport, I get no DS in the dash, paddles don't function, and when I shift with the transmission lever, I get manual but it comes out of manual by itself, like when you click a paddle without moving the transmission lever to the left (D/S)

I put my old steering wheel back in the car with the original paddles and everything worked as normal. Only thing that I can think of is one of two things:

1. The M3 paddles that I bought from one of our fellow members are faulty

2. The steering wheel control modules that fit inside the trim piece (that the paddles connect to) which work with the LCI paddles are not designed to work with the M3 paddles

I did this exact mod with my 2010 135i Sport with the pre-LCI paddles and stock trim piece modules and everything worked perfectly

Any ideas?

Last edited by spmd11; 05-25-2012 at 10:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

The 2011 and newer cars with the LCI paddles are different than the older cars - the paddles originally just had 3 wires one common and one for up and one for down, completing the circuit form the common power wire to one of the other wires send the + or - signal, in the case of the M3, each paddle had only 2 wires, one with power and the other wire was the + wire in one and the - wire in the other.

With the LCI paddles, they don't just complete the circuit, they provide different levels of resistance on the circuit depending on it being an up or down shift, so it isn't plug and play anymore.

Search around, I think I have read about someone doing it, I certainly have read that people have modified LCI shifters into older cars, so should be able to go the other way, but will probably involve opening up the shifters and adding resisters into the circuit.

This thread explains hos the resisters in the LCI paddles work, you would need to make your M3 paddles work like the LCI ones with the resistance added to them.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10355838

This thread has some info in it near the end http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=361439&page=6

Good luck, should be doable if you are comfortable with a soldering iron and a trip to the Rad Shack.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob
The 2011 and newer cars with the LCI paddles are different than the older cars - the paddles originally just had 3 wires one common and one for up and one for down, completing the circuit form the common power wire to one of the other wires send the + or - signal, in the case of the M3, each paddle had only 2 wires, one with power and the other wire was the + wire in one and the - wire in the other.

With the LCI paddles, they don't just complete the circuit, they provide different levels of resistance on the circuit depending on it being an up or down shift, so it isn't plug and play anymore.

Search around, I think I have read about someone doing it, I certainly have read that people have modified LCI shifters into older cars, so should be able to go the other way, but will probably involve opening up the shifters and adding resisters into the circuit.

This thread explains hos the resisters in the LCI paddles work, you would need to make your M3 paddles work like the LCI ones with the resistance added to them.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10355838

This thread has some info in it near the end http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...439&page=6

Good luck, should be doable if you are comfortable with a soldering iron and a trip to the Rad Shack.

Rob
Thanks for the response. Sounds like if I just purchase a set of M3 steering wheel switches then I will be good to go. In lieu of trying to use the stock sport wheel switches like I am now.
      05-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

I've got the internals from M3 DCT MF buttons which should solve your problem. Yours for shipping. PM sent.
Appreciate 0