E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Front bumper removal with PDC - help!!

05-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Thumbs up Front bumper removal with PDC - Sorted!!

Hi guys,

Probably a very stupid question, but simply because these days people want to rip you off for the simplest and most stupid things! I need to have my front bumper repaired and resprayed for some minor damage - don't want to do localised spraying, hence wanting to have the bumper removed for this. But it has front PDC sensors.

The labour for removing and refitting the bumper is more expensive than the repair and respraying of the bumper itself! Hey?! Apparently they say that they have to run diagnostics and clear errors from the PDC being disconnected!

Surely if you remove the bumper, have it repaired, refit it without the car being moved, all should be fine? Also, for that matter, disconnect the car's battery before hand?

It seems a ridiculous as being expected to believe that codes would have to be reset and diagnostics run for a bulb that has stopped working!

So basically, what's the story? Can a bumper with PDC be removed without these issues that the official BMW repairers are claiming?

Last edited by Three_thirty_I; 06-27-2012 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 05:02 AM   #2
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Any ideas guys?!

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330, 20' F97 X3m

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
They're giving you a stroke job brother. Find another straight forward shop. No need to reset anything. Simply unplug the sensors and plug them back in when done

LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 05:46 AM   #4
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!! View Post
They're giving you a stroke job brother. Find another straight forward shop. No need to reset anything. Simply unplug the sensors and plug them back in when done
Thanks! That's exactly what I thought! What kills me is that when I spoke to this guy and asked him, he had no problem lying to my face about this! Still waiting for their quote, but think I'll just reserve my car into my garage, unplug the battery, carefully remove the bumper and take it through for repair and respray...

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
So got the bumper back on Friday, fitted all of the trim bits and then polished the fog lights with some brasso to take out the majority of the scratches and pitting. Super glue gel seems to have fixed the broken plastic attaching point on the fog light, so no more rattling!

Saturday morning took the forward wheel well liners outside and gave them as good a clean as I could, so they do look better, but will need to spend more time on this, so decided to rather leave that for a later time and clean some other areas on the car before fitting the bumper. Nothing major, just cleaned behind the kidney grills and some of the areas usually covered by the bumper.

Fixed bumper being fitted - they seem to have been able to match the paint quite well! The tow point cover was was not painted, maybe not the best plan, but thought I would use this to check the paint finish when collecting, so ever so slightly different metallic and shade, but could also be that I need to properly polish the cover and then it's match. But fitted on the car it seems to be spot on!

So very happy with the results! And no errors on the cluster, PDC works properly etc! Just sprayed the car off after fitting - not going to wash for at least a few days. Maybe next month or so is time for some TLC with some of my polishing goodies!

Edit: will take better pics when the sun is out!!

Appreciate 0