2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Opinions on Passive M-Sport Suspension

06-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Opinions on Passive M-Sport Suspension

How does it behave on UK roads?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 03:55 AM   #2
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
I find it quite hard on rough roads, but I think that is partly down to the run-flats the car came with. I hope to replace them with proper tyres when they are done.

On my last car, a 335d M Sport, the ride and handling improved a good bit when I ditched the run-flats. I hope the same with this car.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

i echo that
I'm running on 19" wheels and i finf ride a bit softer than the e39 msport on 18" i had previously - however you do know when you cross a bad surface.
in general happy with it but find I try and avoid potholes and bumps if I can.

best advice like most things is to try it out. pop into a dealership and find he spec of car yo want to drive, try and it if you're happy go for it or else decide on a diferent spec whether that be differtn size wheels, going for te Se instead of Msport or going for active suspension.
At the end of the day, it's what you like. everyone is going to explain the ride differently - whats firm to someone is soft to another.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 02:19 AM   #4
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
How does it behave on UK roads?
I know the question's about passive Sport Suspension... (and agree with post above everyone has a different taste/opinion)... but thought I give my 2 cents worth since I chose to DELETE sports suspension...

I find it OK and bearable (I don't like a hard ride, prefer a plusher ride)... and think that if I not deleted the option it would have been far too hard. That said when in Sport or Sport+ mode it really tightens up and is great for cornering and high speed...

I suspect the M Sport suspension would be even better on that side of things of course.... but would be horrible on the ruts and bumps....

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
MPH
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530D SE 2013 Imperial Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpause View Post

I find it OK and bearable (I don't like a hard ride, prefer a plusher ride)... and think that if I not deleted the option it would have been far too hard. That said when in Sport or Sport+ mode it really tightens up and is great for cornering and high speed...
Unless you have VDC the Sport and Sport+ mode don't change the suspension, only the throttle response and steering
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 05:10 AM   #6
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
Unless you have VDC the Sport and Sport+ mode don't change the suspension, only the throttle response and steering
You may well be right, however I can tell you that when I go into Sport or Sport+ the suspension definitely goes tighter and does not roll as much around sharp corners... have trialled this many times...

I stand to be corrected, but I know what I feel

See:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=582999 - It seems perhaps I am wrong, but I do have an M-Sport, just need to check if I have DHP Europe equivalent

Last edited by jedpause; 06-18-2012 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: Added Forum Link showing further discussion
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
mroll320
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 530d

I had an e60 amd the f10 is no worse....
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
MPH
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530D SE 2013 Imperial Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpause View Post
You may well be right, however I can tell you that when I go into Sport or Sport+ the suspension definitely goes tighter and does not roll as much around sharp corners... have trialled this many times...

I stand to be corrected, but I know what I feel

See:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=582999 - It seems perhaps I am wrong, but I do have an M-Sport, just need to check if I have DHP Europe equivalent
I thought the same when I test drove an M Sport but I think it's the steering tightening up not the suspension that makes it feel like that. Without Variable Damper Control (VDC) the switch by the gearbox only adjusts steering and throttle response and definitely not suspension despite the graphic indicating otherwise.
Appreciate 0