E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Touch-Sensative Sensors on the Six Programmable iDrive Memory Keys

07-03-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
Dmillion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 bmw 545i

Touch-Sensative Sensors on the Six Programmable iDrive Memory Keys

Taken from the 1 series PDF file found on bmwusa.com

This latest version of iDrive is equipped with six Programmable Memory Keys that allow the driver to program functions that are used particularly often such as navigation destinations, radio stations or specific telephone numbers. Touch-sensative sensors on these buttons preview the function on the iDrive screen before the button is depressed. This allows the driver to choose the stored function safely and conveniently, keeping his or her eyes on the road in the process.

I wonder if the 08 3 series will have this too...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
ifaudi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E55 AMG [E92 Sold]

Mine has it...came on the March 07 and later builds with iDrive/Nav
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
Dmillion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 bmw 545i

Ahhh...

I guess no one really mentions the touch sensitive part...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yep, its available already on the post march cars.
      07-03-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
0asis
Senior Officer In Charge.
Canada
Rep
Drives: G30 540i / Past: F10,E92, E46

this feature was first available on the new X5
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 07:36 PM   #6
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54162

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 10:05 PM   #7
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
More technology for technology's sake.. too much of this crap making its way into our cars, turning them into gadget freaks' cars, not drivers' cars.
      07-03-2007, 10:32 PM   #8
krash
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i (e90)  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmillion View Post
Ahhh...

I guess no one really mentions the touch sensitive part...
Yep, it is pretty cool.

All you have to do is run your fingers across the buttons, and the corresponding value of the buttons are displayed on the screen.

'07 335i Sedan
Titanium Silver, Black Dakota, Burl Walnut Trim, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav/iDrive, Comfort Access, iPod Adapter, Sirius
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 03:41 AM   #9
KillDork
First Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: E90 MY '06 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
More technology for technology's sake.. too much of this crap making its way into our cars, turning them into gadget freaks' cars, not drivers' cars.
Just you push the button, can't really see how it interferes with it still being a drivers' car...
Aluminium trim|black Dakota leather|Xenon|Comfort Access|Sports seats|Steptronic|iDrive Professional|Bluetooth|Voice|PDC front & rear|sun shade rear window & sides|auto dim outside & inside mirrors|Comfort|Dynamic|Advantage
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 03:54 AM   #10
chbrules
MSVConrad++
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2006 325i | E92 2007 335i

I slightly feel regretful for not getting the iDrive, but then I always remember that I don't want that thing cluttering up my dash. It ruins the asthetics for me, and I'd rather be focused on the driving of the car. It is, of course, a driver's car.
      07-04-2007, 05:16 AM   #11
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X740i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Mine has this as well. I wish it had more buttons like this, 6 isnt enough, especially when you can use it for so many different things.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 05:42 AM   #12
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

This is a great feature. I have it on my 328, and it is extremely helpful to have because the memoy buttons can be programmed with several different types of information.
      07-04-2007, 07:40 AM   #13
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Relax Kevin. They didn't remove the brakes or change the weight distribution of the car. They didn't alter the responsiveness of the steering or reduce the horsepower. There is no CA telling someone "sorry, you can't get the 6MT because you're getting the buttons instead".

The next thing, you'll be whining about how tedious it is navigating through iDrive menus to get to frequently used functions. That's what the buttons are for.

If it were a true driver's car, you would be signaling your turns by sticking your arm out the window. There would be no air conditioning, since that can reduce available HP.

Why have wood or aluminum trim? What does that add to the drive? Leather is probably heavier than pleather by a few grams... why have that? Why have a radio at all? If it's the drive you're interested in you shouldn't be distracting yourself with music. And I'm sure you don't own a cell phone.

Life is not a car commercial where all your driving is done on twisting mountain roads. You probably don't spend a great deal of time trying to "get away from the bad guys" either.

How is this little bit of technology, added for convinience taking away from your driving experience exactly?

If BMW were not keeping up with the luxury requirements (as defined by the buying populace) there would be no BMW company. You would then be buying some other brand to complain about....

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 07:52 AM   #14
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

Great feature, and your right six isn't enough. I have 2 of them set for telephone #'s and 4 for navigation setpoints. With the traffic info tied in to the Nav, I just press the button for work and I instantly know if there is an accident or something and get re-routed or not.
You can program radio stations too but thats where another six buttons would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 08:10 AM   #15
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Relax Kevin.
Me, relax? I'm quite relaxed. You're the one who wrote a long-winded diatribe in response to my short-winded angst towards this piece of extraneous, unnecessary technology. You like it? Good for you, you can have it. Me, I would have avoided the 3 if iDrive were mandatory, and many others feel this way too. The fact that they now feel the need to "enhance" iDrive by adding more buttons to it only furthers the widely-held theory that the whole concept is a bad idea in the first place. The rest of your rant, somehow trying to relate this to wood trim, cellphones, etc., was ridiculous and had absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand. You don't have to go way off on a tangent to try to defend iDrive, or at least shouldn't have to.. or maybe you do?

We just have to agree to disagree on this one, getting into a pissing match over it will have no winner.
      07-04-2007, 08:37 AM   #16
GTownUDM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Relax Kevin. They didn't remove the brakes or change the weight distribution of the car. They didn't alter the responsiveness of the steering or reduce the horsepower. There is no CA telling someone "sorry, you can't get the 6MT because you're getting the buttons instead".
Yeah but those buttons DID add weight to the car!!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 09:22 AM   #17
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Me, relax? I'm quite relaxed. You're the one who wrote a long-winded diatribe in response to my short-winded angst towards this piece of extraneous, unnecessary technology. You like it? Good for you, you can have it. Me, I would have avoided the 3 if iDrive were mandatory, and many others feel this way too. The fact that they now feel the need to "enhance" iDrive by adding more buttons to it only furthers the widely-held theory that the whole concept is a bad idea in the first place. The rest of your rant, somehow trying to relate this to wood trim, cellphones, etc., was ridiculous and had absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand. You don't have to go way off on a tangent to try to defend iDrive, or at least shouldn't have to.. or maybe you do?

We just have to agree to disagree on this one, getting into a pissing match over it will have no winner.

Sorry you felt it was a rant. Wasn't intended to be, but an opposing point of view, laced with the usual required amount of sarcasm.

We can certainly agree to disagree, but it's the "drivers car" thing that gets me a bit. Felt like I was reading a Satch editorial in Roundel. No one (pronounced "not any one, anywhere, at all") makes a "drivers car" by those standards.

I don't personally see the point of comfort access, and don't have it. But I don't disparage it and say that it somehow lessens the car. People willing to pay $500 for the luxury of leaving the key in their pocket are welcomed to it.

I know it's fashionable not to like iDrive, as evidenced by all the "I've never seen it, but I don't like it because others don't like it" reviews. Having had it for only a few months, I can certainly see where it has shortcomings. But I like having better than not having it. The buttons are very convinient and answer one of the complaints people had with iDrive. How can that be bad?

One could just as easily argue the bastardization of the 3 Series with the introduction of the twin turbo in the 335s. What? No naturally aspirated engine?

Anywho, we agree to disagree. No disrespect at all.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 09:35 AM   #18
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Dirt View Post
Great feature, and your right six isn't enough. I have 2 of them set for telephone #'s and 4 for navigation setpoints. With the traffic info tied in to the Nav, I just press the button for work and I instantly know if there is an accident or something and get re-routed or not.
You can program radio stations too but thats where another six buttons would be nice.

Dirt, can you explain how you programed the 4 buttons for Nav setpoints? I'd like a little more details on that, seems like that would come in handy leaving work to get details fast about what's ahead of you before you get there. How do you do that? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 09:46 AM   #19
krash
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i (e90)  [0.00]
Quote:
Me, I would have avoided the 3 if iDrive were mandatory, and many others feel this way too. The fact that they now feel the need to "enhance" iDrive by adding more buttons to it only furthers the widely-held theory that the whole concept is a bad idea in the first place.
This is silly. Bad idea in the first place??? Come on. It is 2007.

I really don't get why some people have so much hate for iDrive. Also, the 6 new buttons are not further proof of it's failure. Quite the contrary, the new programmable buttons are an evolutionary improvement.

iDrive is especially nice with the Bluetooth feature and iPod integration. I have a software engineering background--so maybe I am more receptive to this technology, but quite frankly, I really like iDrive a lot.

NAV + Bluetooth + iPod Adaptor + iDrive = AWESOME!

'07 335i Sedan
Titanium Silver, Black Dakota, Burl Walnut Trim, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav/iDrive, Comfort Access, iPod Adapter, Sirius
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 11:46 AM   #20
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Anywho, we agree to disagree. No disrespect at all.

As for Comfort Access.. I hear ya. I sprung for it mainly because I didn't want to have to insert the damn fob into the dash AND press a silly button to start the car. CA should be standard equipment if they're going to do the start button nonsense. And why is CA a $500 option on the 3, but a $1k option on the 5? That's some serious BS!
      07-04-2007, 04:15 PM   #21
SGP335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92 Jet Blk

I got it as well
      07-20-2007, 02:33 AM   #22
bimmerron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Does anybody know if the programmable buttons can be retrofitted to e92 335 with I-drive, January 2007 build?
Appreciate 0