E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Steering Wheel Malfunction?

06-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
HowFast
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe 6Speed

Steering Wheel Malfunction?

Hello Guys,

I was driving my car around my local area and I stopped to grab a bag of chips from a convenience store. When I returned to my car, I inserted the FOB and was presented with the red steering wheel with the lock above it after trying to start the car. My car is currently sitting outside of a convenience store and will not even attempt to turn over. Have you guys had this problem before? Any Advice?

Vehicle Information:

2007 BMW 335i 6MT
86000kms
Just had a full inspection done on Tuesday last week. Along with other service like break fluid, Seals around the oil cooler line, transmission fluid, and micro-filter. Also I had the entire vehicle repainted in the last month.

Other Info

When I try to start the car other warnings were appearing. The car will no longer even attempt to start.

I tried the following methods to fix this problem:
- Tried shaking the steering wheel while in rolling back in reverse.
- Tried boosting the battery and trying to start it.
- Called my nearest dealer (2.5h away) who told me to apply the break as far as it can go and try starting it. Tried doing this and was unsuccessful.

After calling BMW back, the service techs were gone. I am out of ideas and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matthew
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Kodak
The Law
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi, 4dr, Alpine

I had the same issue and thought it could have been the steering column issue that I've heard about , took it to the dealer and it turned out all I needed was a new battery, so check the battery first if your out of warranty.
Let us all know the outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowFast View Post
Hello Guys,

I was driving my car around my local area and I stopped to grab a bag of chips from a convenience store. When I returned to my car, I inserted the FOB and was presented with the red steering wheel with the lock above it after trying to start the car. My car is currently sitting outside of a convenience store and will not even attempt to turn over. Have you guys had this problem before? Any Advice?

Vehicle Information:

2007 BMW 335i 6MT
86000kms
Just had a full inspection done on Tuesday last week. Along with other service like break fluid, Seals around the oil cooler line, transmission fluid, and micro-filter. Also I had the entire vehicle repainted in the last month.

Other Info

When I try to start the car other warnings were appearing. The car will no longer even attempt to start.

I tried the following methods to fix this problem:
- Tried shaking the steering wheel while in rolling back in reverse.
- Tried boosting the battery and trying to start it.
- Called my nearest dealer (2.5h away) who told me to apply the break as far as it can go and try starting it. Tried doing this and was unsuccessful.

After calling BMW back, the service techs were gone. I am out of ideas and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matthew
      06-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
HowFast
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe 6Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak View Post
I had the same issue and thought it could have been the steering column issue that I've heard about , took it to the dealer and it turned out all I needed was a new battery, so check the battery first if your out of warranty.
Let us all know the outcome.
Well Like I said, I tried to boost the car and start the ignition which did not work. I just had my car to the deanship last week and they had said my battery was low but they did a load test and it came back good. I honestly can not see how my battery could have died in less than a week? Although I am not mechanically inclined. I just pray that it is not the steering column because I read that it can cost an upwards of 2000$.
Appreciate 0