E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Trunk mount meth tank + pump

06-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Trunk mount meth tank + pump

Reconfigured my Vishnu PWM system to have both the pump and dedicated tank in the trunk on my 135i.

This is a 4 quart tank and space is pretty tight in the trunk of the 1 series.....but it worked out quite well.

Tucked it behind the rear wheel arch and still have all my usable trunk space.

I was surprised at how quickly the system primed from the trunk to the engine bay. Completely dry pump and meth line had full flow in under 2 seconds

My meth flow is now completely flat and stable on my datalogs whereas with the WW setup, it would oscillate a few points up and down.

The head of the pump is now at the bottom of the tank resulting in direct gravity flow. The tank and pump also stay much cooler in the trunk than the engine bay.

Jeff Howerton mentioned that he does not like seeing pumps draw fluid from large distances like the WW setup- but some people do it

Of course, there is no added power to a trunk setup....just some peace of mind.

Some pics...
Attached Images

Last edited by Ilma; 06-21-2012 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Xdrive

Wouldn't it make sense to switch the tank around so its shielded?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i 6MT

Nice work, i ordered one of Jeffs custom tank units and was pleasantly surprised to find small Wiffle ball looking things inside the tank, to act as a baffle. If you can find some, i would certainly suggest adding them.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass335 View Post
Wouldn't it make sense to switch the tank around so its shielded?
Yes it would. The bracket is attached to its mounting base using screws....so the top tank part is completely removable and can be easily turned around.

I will give that a try.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulz_M3 View Post
Nice work, i ordered one of Jeffs custom tank units and was pleasantly surprised to find small Wiffle ball looking things inside the tank, to act as a baffle. If you can find some, i would certainly suggest adding them.
Sloshing and the resulting air ingestion is one of the reasons I went with a larger tank. If I keep it above 1/4 full, the feed line should remain covered during acceleration or cornering.

What the hell is a Wiffie ball anyways? Last time I had a wiffie......well let's not go there.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
335okc
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 335

ilma, good lookin project!
i got the exact same tank.
i chose the other side because my golf clubs have to stick to the left side lol.
how are you wiring the pump? i haven't moved my pump to the trunk.

i do wanna see the wiffle ball or whatever it's called.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335okc View Post
ilma, good lookin project!
i got the exact same tank.
i chose the other side because my golf clubs have to stick to the left side lol.
how are you wiring the pump? i haven't moved my pump to the trunk.

i do wanna see the wiffle ball or whatever it's called.
I just spliced into and extended the red and black lines that fed the pump from the wiring harness in the engine bay to the trunk.....easy peasy.

The original mounting bracket and FAV are still in the engine bay, as are all the other parts of the wiring harness that integrate into the tune....so you don't have to worry about anything else.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

By the way....a big thumps up to Howerton Engineering.

They tapped the tank and pressure tested it for leaks. Then added a filter inside the tank and mounted a swivel barb fitting to the bottom tap complete with teflon tape on the threads.

They even attached a couple of feet of meth line to the barb fitting on the swivel mount and then mounted the tank to the bracket before shipping it out.

I was impressed.

Except for that barb fitting at the bottom of the tank the entire system has compression fittings right up to the nozzles.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Great stuff!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Now that I have meth again, I wanted to see if cleaning my intake valves made any difference to fuel trims and AFR's.

Before cleaning the valves I would get about a 5+% variation in fuel trims and my AFR in bank 2 would oscillate compared to bank 1.

Seems the issue is still there when I use meth......but not on regular pump gas

Wondering if others are seeing the same variations while using meth?

Notice how completely flat the methflow graph is with the trunk mount setup

Timing looks good too on a 70/30 mix of meth......and this is peaking 18 psi boost on stock downpipes but all other bolt ons.

Tried to buy a set of AR downpipes last week but they are on backorder for 3 weeks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #11
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Those seem like minor deviations, since we dont run direct port meth, some cylinders will get more or less, nature of the beast.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #12
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulz_M3 View Post
Those seem like minor deviations, since we dont run direct port meth, some cylinders will get more or less, nature of the beast.
Thanks.

I agree that cylinder distribution won't be even given our intake manifold, but funny that it only happens on meth?

I guess the evaporation rate must be so fast that the farther cylinders are not getting as much. I guess with direct injection engines the intake manifold design is not so critical.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #13
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

good stuff Ilma, i have my tank... now i just need some damn time to actually do this. don't have a free weekend until sometime in August
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
good stuff Ilma, i have my tank... now i just need some damn time to actually do this. don't have a free weekend until sometime in August
Lol......I thought a simple trunk mount would take me a couple of hours.

Ended up taking a couple of days on and off.

Your Advan tank setup is so stealth though.

Where are you going to mount your pump?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #15
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

going to cross the pump-location-bridge when this goes down... it'll be a surprise to one and all
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #16
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
Thanks.

I agree that cylinder distribution won't be even given our intake manifold, but funny that it only happens on meth?

I guess the evaporation rate must be so fast that the farther cylinders are not getting as much. I guess with direct injection engines the intake manifold design is not so critical.
It wouldnt happen on pump because its in direct control of the fuel being sprayed, whereas with meth in the equation, it is trying to hit its targets with the addition of the meth - which isnt evenly distributed. I hope that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #17
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Likely the 90 degree bend at the CP itself. The sharp turn increases sheer flow closer to the bend causing a pressure inequality of the two banks as the air enters the intake manifold through the TB. Not sure if the TB imparts enoguh turbulence to counteract it. Just my theory. As gimmicy as they are, I wonder if a swirler would help with meth distribution.

If its any condolence, I did some pulls last night and my trims deviate ~5% on pump, bank 2 always being higher. On meth, its closer to 13%! Carbon cleaning will reduce this, but not completely mitigate it.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #18
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu View Post
Likely the 90 degree bend at the CP itself. The sharp turn increases sheer flow closer to the bend causing a pressure inequality of the two banks as the air enters the intake manifold through the TB. Not sure if the TB imparts enoguh turbulence to counteract it. Just my theory. As gimmicy as they are, I wonder if a swirler would help with meth distribution.

If its any condolence, I did some pulls last night and my trims deviate ~5% on pump, bank 2 always being higher. On meth, its closer to 13%! Carbon cleaning will reduce this, but not completely mitigate it.
Thanks for that info Tzu.

It is reassuring to know that it's the nature of the design rather than something peculiar to my car only.

I have no doubt that cleaning your valves will improve your deviations, but like you say, meth flow is still not ideal even with pristine valves.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #19
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Take a look at Joshboody's thread from a few weeks ago. He re-tapped the nozzles further upstream and the results were great. Almost no difference between banks while spraying meth. I plan on doing the same
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #20
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
Take a look at Joshboody's thread from a few weeks ago. He re-tapped the nozzles further upstream and the results were great. Almost no difference between banks while spraying meth. I plan on doing the same
Thanks for the tip!

Makes sense if the meth is evaporating too quickly for some cylinders. Locating jets closer probably reduces the degree of evaporation.

Edit - My bad...you said upstream as in closer to the intercooler.

This thread here?: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=Joshboody

Last edited by Ilma; 06-21-2012 at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #21
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I think if anything, the meth is not completely distributing evenly in the charge air. I don't think anyone has reported negative reviews after moving the nozzles further away. I wanted to move them to the cold side IC coupler, but the bungs didn't arrive in time. I will eventually though.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #22
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu View Post
I think if anything, the meth is not completely distributing evenly in the charge air. I don't think anyone has reported negative reviews after moving the nozzles further away. I wanted to move them to the cold side IC coupler, but the bungs didn't arrive in time. I will eventually though.
I'm going to try installing mine at the beginning of the CP. Jeff from howerton engineering recommended installing them on the post intercooler outlet, about 3 inches apart. Only thin that worries me is possible puddling, especially since Meth is corrossive to aluminum.
Appreciate 0