E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > When do the turbos start boosting?

06-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Youno
United_States
Rep
Drives: A sexy 335i named Zedd

When do the turbos start boosting?

Hey I'm new to the forums and I tried a search and couldn't find any such answers (although I'm sure they're on here somewhere).

When do the turbos on my e90 335i start boosting and when do they reach max boost? Also, if I were to mess with the wastegate some would I be able to get a bit more boost?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youno View Post
Hey I'm new to the forums and I tried a search and couldn't find any such answers (although I'm sure they're on here somewhere).

When do the turbos on my e90 335i start boosting and when do they reach max boost? Also, if I were to mess with the wastegate some would I be able to get a bit more boost?

Thanks!
Just get a tune..... You cant mess with wgs.
They spool fast and hit stock max 8 psi.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
Just get a tune..... You cant mess with wgs.
They spool fast and hit stock max 8 psi.
posting machine going on!!

Yes 2k rpm and they are building, and max boost is 8psi.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
Youno
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SoFlo View Post
posting machine going on!!

Yes 2k rpm and they are building, and max boost is 8psi.
ah that's what I was wondering. So they start boosting 2k and just keep increasing their boost to about 4psi each all the way up till redline?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

no they hit almost instantly 8 psi and taper to 6 or something.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Yeah 3500-5000rpms 8psi +/- tapering to 6psi at 7000k rpms
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
Yodaime
Just a normal member.
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Banh Xeo

BOOST!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
Streetluger06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
The turbos are both running 8psi at half of the airflow needed by the engine. 4psi + 4psi does not = 8psi total for the situation. But 8+8=8.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
mundo74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10M5

At high idle. Just removed my intercooler today to change the waterpump. Started the car w/o the intercooler and was surprised to hear a whoosh from the turbo discharge pipe. It was actually pushing off my hand at the cold start idle!
      06-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
I think if you take an 8mm wrench you can adjust the wastegate manually to run more boost

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #11
eamon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i, 2010 328i (sold)

I didn't know wastegates had so much to do with boost.

Just curious then, if I have a muffler delete, there is less back pressure in the system meaning less pressure on the wastegates.

Will that effect performance or reliability in any way?
      06-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #12
eamon
Captain
Rep

Just curious then, if I have a muffler delete, there is less back pressure in the system meaning less pressure on the wastegates.

06-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #13
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 with MHD Custom flash

Having a muffler delete just really has to do with the way the car sounds. The stock muffler is actually not that restrictive to be honest. What is restrictive is the secondary cats, not so much the muffler. What most people run is Catless DP's secondary cat delete and keep the stock muffler just for sound sake. With the secondary cats off you get more power, better exhaust tone/note, and its WAY less restrictive. If you like your muffler delete then cut the secondary's as well and throw on some vibrant resonators to tone it down. Its way to loud for me with just straight pipes no muffler. just my 2cents
[SIZE="2"]Crimson Red E92 335i M-sport 6-speed with MHD custom stage 2+ flash only , 40% E85/93 mix,+ HRE P40S wheels, KW Clubsport, M3 sways,+BMW performance CF Mirrors, BMW Performance CF deck lid spoiler,+ CF interior trim, p3 vent boost gauge,+ LUX angel eyes (11.73@124mph on street tires)
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #14
eamon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostaholic786 View Post
Having a muffler delete just really has to do with the way the car sounds. The stock muffler is actually not that restrictive to be honest. What is restrictive is the secondary cats, not so much the muffler. What most people run is Catless DP's secondary cat delete and keep the stock muffler just for sound sake. With the secondary cats off you get more power, better exhaust tone/note, and its WAY less restrictive. If you like your muffler delete then cut the secondary's as well and throw on some vibrant resonators to tone it down. Its way to loud for me with just straight pipes no muffler. just my 2cents
Are there any negatives to a less restrictive downpipes? I only have a tune. Would a downpipe + tune setup be ideal or should I go for other mods first?
      06-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #15
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamon View Post

The wastegates are what controlls/regulates boost. The wastegates default to open when no vaccuum is applied. When requested load increases the DME sends the command to apply vaccuum to the wastegate actuators increasing the WGDC(amount of time the wastegate is closed compared to open) which in turn builds boost. In a nutshell.

Quote:
Are there any negatives to a less restrictive downpipes? I only have a tune. Would a downpipe + tune setup be ideal or should I go for other mods first?
There are a couple possible down sides to downpipes, if youre in a state/area that does emmissions testing and you get catless DPs then you will need a DP fix to pass the test if it is a OBD2 readiness test but if it is a sniffer test then you'll need to put the stockers back in. You'll also get a CEL for cat ineffeciency unless your tune disables that. Also, the sound of WG rattle will get louder with aftermarket DPs.

With that said, DPs are a great mod and really brings the exhaust note to life and makes the car much more responsive. They also provide a nice boost in power when combined with a tune to take advantage of them.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 12:51 AM   #16
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
take off the engine cowl/micro filter and you can hear it spool! my car is tuned so it spools rather instantly.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 12:56 AM   #17
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
ONLY positives to buying less restrictive DPs. Getting DPs will allow you to run higher boost (less stress on the turbos, spool faster) and will free up 20 WHP/25 WTQ alone. If you're gonna buy DPs, look into an FMIC (and if it's financially feasible) get them both at the same time.

You'll be FBO, be able run 16-18 PSI and have you around 370 WHP/400 WTQ.

*I just took off my VRSF DPs off my car, they were used for only a month & FS if you're interested
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #18
Youno
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
The wastegates are what controlls/regulates boost. The wastegates default to open when no vaccuum is applied. When requested load increases the DME sends the command to apply vaccuum to the wastegate actuators increasing the WGDC(amount of time the wastegate is closed compared to open) which in turn builds boost. In a nutshell.

There are a couple possible down sides to downpipes, if youre in a state/area that does emmissions testing and you get catless DPs then you will need a DP fix to pass the test if it is a OBD2 readiness test but if it is a sniffer test then you'll need to put the stockers back in. You'll also get a CEL for cat ineffeciency unless your tune disables that. Also, the sound of WG rattle will get louder with aftermarket DPs.

With that said, DPs are a great mod and really brings the exhaust note to life and makes the car much more responsive. They also provide a nice boost in power when combined with a tune to take advantage of them.
Ah it's these kinds of things that makes me hate living in California, the greenie tree-hugging capital of America. Is there any way for me to alleviate back pressure in the exhaust anywhere while still being able to pass the emissions test?

And yeah that's why I posted my OP, because I've heard of some people having the waste gate closed manually a bit and getting 12-15 psi. I know the oil will run hotter but so far even shifting high on the freeways I'm rarely ever over halfway on the temp gauge. I was curious also because I know the waste gate on the 335i is open by default compared to most other cars where the gate is default closed. Is it true the waste gate is only a wrench tightening away from more boost?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #19
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

No you need a tune....
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #20
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youno View Post
Ah it's these kinds of things that makes me hate living in California, the greenie tree-hugging capital of America. Is there any way for me to alleviate back pressure in the exhaust anywhere while still being able to pass the emissions test?

And yeah that's why I posted my OP, because I've heard of some people having the waste gate closed manually a bit and getting 12-15 psi. I know the oil will run hotter but so far even shifting high on the freeways I'm rarely ever over halfway on the temp gauge. I was curious also because I know the waste gate on the 335i is open by default compared to most other cars where the gate is default closed. Is it true the waste gate is only a wrench tightening away from more boost?
There are catted DPs available(AR design, CP-e, Akrapovic and a couple others) however these on occasion have been known to fail and still fail emissions and if your inspector is VERY picky he may still fail you on a visual. However, another option is the stock 1M DPs. They are freer flowing than normal N54 DPs and are 100% emissions complaint. No catted DP is cheap so that sucks.

Some people have had sticky waste gate issues but that happens even 100% stock so that's just a luck of the draw.

IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM is tightening the waste gates a viable means of controlling boost. Either the DME will see over boost and slam the throttle plate shut(this is almost 100% what will happen) or worse. Not to mention the difficulty, if not impossibility, in adjusting both waste gates the same/accurately.

Almost every tune has some form of user adjustments and that's the proper way of setting boost
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #21
Youno
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
There are catted DPs available(AR design, CP-e, Akrapovic and a couple others) however these on occasion have been known to fail and still fail emissions and if your inspector is VERY picky he may still fail you on a visual. However, another option is the stock 1M DPs. They are freer flowing than normal N54 DPs and are 100% emissions complaint. No catted DP is cheap so that sucks.

Some people have had sticky waste gate issues but that happens even 100% stock so that's just a luck of the draw.

IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM is tightening the waste gates a viable means of controlling boost. Either the DME will see over boost and slam the throttle plate shut(this is almost 100% what will happen) or worse. Not to mention the difficulty, if not impossibility, in adjusting both waste gates the same/accurately.

Almost every tune has some form of user adjustments and that's the proper way of setting boost
thanks! I'll look into the catted DPs.
Appreciate 0