E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Stett CAI install issues and Frustration, HID Lights

06-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
Mightymango
Rep
Drives: 09 335ix 05 Evo VIII

Stett CAI install issues and Frustration, HID Lights

Yes I know the CAI threads have been beaten to death but after struggling for damn near 4 hours with a Stett CAI I'm just about at the point of selling it off because having tried just about everything I can not get it to fit, period.

I've looked the two DIY threads about the V1 and V2 intakes, and I can say my fitment attempts are no where close. It looks like the installer in those thread had the non-HID headlights as pulling the fender liner, brake duct and everything else in the way the pipe will hit the ballast or the connector on the back of the light. Granted you have to figure out which pipe goes where as the DIY and lack of instructions leave you guessing. If I pull it away from the ballast/collector then it is intruding on the wheel liner to the point that it can't be installed. I don't know if the X-drive cars with the Sport package are different then the 335i but there is no room above the fog light or brake duct if you leave that in either.

So my question is the people that have HID lights, xdrive or even just HID. How in the hell did you get it to fit correctly? I'm at my wits end with it and need a little guidance. I have installed numberous CAI kits on other cars, including 3 BMWs and I have never been as lost as I am with this "kit"

I wasn't able to take pics of my plight as the shop closed at 5 and I had to get the stock intake back in so I could go home.

Thanks
      06-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
TT3 iN NyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CS

I have an e92 and had the Stett CAI installed no problem. I think you need to remove the wheel and the fender liner. Install it piece by piece. I believe you also have to relocate one of the reservoirs. It should come with everything needed
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
nwn54
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymango View Post
Yes I know the CAI threads have been beaten to death but after struggling for damn near 4 hours with a Stett CAI I'm just about at the point of selling it off because having tried just about everything I can not get it to fit, period.

I've looked the two DIY threads about the V1 and V2 intakes, and I can say my fitment attempts are no where close. It looks like the installer in those thread had the non-HID headlights as pulling the fender liner, brake duct and everything else in the way the pipe will hit the ballast or the connector on the back of the light. Granted you have to figure out which pipe goes where as the DIY and lack of instructions leave you guessing. If I pull it away from the ballast/collector then it is intruding on the wheel liner to the point that it can't be installed. I don't know if the X-drive cars with the Sport package are different then the 335i but there is no room above the fog light or brake duct if you leave that in either.

So my question is the people that have HID lights, xdrive or even just HID. How in the hell did you get it to fit correctly? I'm at my wits end with it and need a little guidance. I have installed numberous CAI kits on other cars, including 3 BMWs and I have never been as lost as I am with this "kit"

I wasn't able to take pics of my plight as the shop closed at 5 and I had to get the stock intake back in so I could go home.

Thanks
I had this same experience. I installed mine but was not happy with the final result of the fitment. i have a 2007 e90.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
Mightymango
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwn54 View Post
I had this same experience. I installed mine but was not happy with the final result of the fitment. i have a 2007 e90.
Did you just give up on it then?

I didn't have any issues with the power steering res, that part worked as designed. (To the previous poster)
      06-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
joed1
ED RN
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi coupe/2011 X3

Although I didn't install it myself, I had a member here do it. NO instructions, none. For the cost of the intake you would think they would put out model specific instructions. Actually pretty poor.
      06-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

Was a pain in my ass as well. Remove the wheel and fender liner. Makes it much easier.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
Mightymango
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
Was a pain in my ass as well. Remove the wheel and fender liner. Makes it much easier.

I did, removed the wheel, fender liner, headlight assembly, brake cooling ducts, power steering res was moved out of the way. Also removed the cowl trim so I could access the rear flex tube as well. Also attempting this all on a hoist so I could see everything.

I appreciate the feedback and I'm glad I'm not the only one that has been disappointed by the fitment.
      06-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang
I had to do the same thing. Well, my mechanic did lol. And because I have an E93 we had to remove the driver side structural brace.

I was surprised though that some members were saying it had to be cut. Was pretty easy to remove. (2 bolts)

I was very disappointed with fitmeant though and the lack of instruction. I was also missing a coupling with mine which connects to the intercooler cold side. Piss off and for $450+ not worth it.

I love it, but the install was a bich and they could have designed the firmer
much better IMO.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
D_Smiderreen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Please delete my account

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwn54 View Post
I had installation issues as well. There were clearance issues with the filter and lower pipe hitting the headlight washer hose/ connectors. I ended up taking out part of the brake duct....If I had to do it again I would have just stuck my dci's back on
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #10
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 with MHD Custom flash

I didnt have near as many fitment issues as you guys did. Mine installed pretty easily to be honest. But you MUST take WHEEL and FENDER LINING off before even attempting it. Also, it might have been easier because I have the M-tech bumper and chose not to install the fog lights for better cooling for intake and oil cooler I personally dont like fog lights anyways... just my opinion....
[SIZE="2"]Crimson Red E92 335i M-sport 6-speed with MHD custom stage 2+ flash only , 40% E85/93 mix,+ HRE P40S wheels, KW Clubsport, M3 sways,+BMW performance CF Mirrors, BMW Performance CF deck lid spoiler,+ CF interior trim, p3 vent boost gauge,+ LUX angel eyes (11.73@124mph on street tires)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
Evelyn
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M

Garage List
2008 335 m  [5.00]
I had no problems. Had installed in 1 1/2 hours, where the filter goes is a little tight though. There is plastic plate you can remove next to the fog light for air. I left it in and drilled holes in it. I have HID fog lights, so doing this reduces water and dirt from getting on the ballest or the yaw sensor that is mounted on the fender liner.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #12
._.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

V1 was a pain in the ass and I had to head the fender liner to fit the filter in. I can not comment on V2 though.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
venom3469
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 AW/R 6MT 335i, YZF-R6.

I as well had issues with STETT...the instructions are more like a parts list and everything was way to close for a good fitment to me. The piping was hiting the alternator. Not to mention I didn't know on the e92 coupes you have to take off a brace. I also didnt think I would have to take off the wheel and fender lining....just to try and make the filter fit right. Which of course wouldn't fit unless you put way to much piping into the filter. Spent like 3 hours in total getting it on. (kinda) To say the least I wasn't pleased at all with the product. I figured for the price I paid, you would be avoiding these things.

I called them and told them I was very disappointed with the product and sent it back.

I now have Vishnu DCI and for the price I love them. Not much at all really of a difference in performance between a CAI and DCI to me since the DCI is 1\4 the price. Plus down the road I plan on doing a single turbo upgrade so no need to waste more money.

In the end I learned to do a lot more of an extensive researching before I buy something.
      06-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #14
venom3469
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 AW/R 6MT 335i, YZF-R6.

Edit: I thought my first post didn't post...bad cell connection.
      06-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #15
asian010
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

when i had a stett v1 i removed the fender liner and everything to do it. got it all in but then i couldnt put the fender liner back on....
Appreciate 0