ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

How do you limit heels slipping on the floor mats?

I've noticed my Piloti driving shoes slip quite a bit on the stock floor mats. I just purchased some BMW all-weather rubber mats with the theory that the rubber texture would be a lot more grippy and prevent this, but it wasn't as helpful as I'd hoped. I may resort to applying some friction tape to the mat, but this seems ridiculous.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm not sophisticated enough to heel-and-toe, and find I can more precisely modulate the brake or throttle by having my heel planted on the floor, provided it doesn't slip.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

I don't think my foot is on the floor when I heel toe. Not something that I have thought about before. Some purpose built race cars have a plate to rest the heel.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Just noticed your an engineer. You'll figure it out!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank View Post
I don't think my foot is on the floor when I heel toe. Not something that I have thought about before. Some purpose built race cars have a plate to rest the heel.
Interesting about race cars, didn't know that . Yes, I think this is more of a problem for me specifically because I have /not/ been heel-toe'ing. I may start practicing that on my track weekend, but I haven't had a chance to yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
JasonH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe, 2003 M3 Vert

At the track you'll remove the mats. In my experience that has been mandatory. If you want to have something non-slip with a mat you can always attach a metal plate to the mat then cover it with some skateboard grip tape or the like. Race cars often have something like that affixed to the floor, or a textured metal plate. Same goes for pedals, they're frequently smooth metal covered with grip tape.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonH View Post
At the track you'll remove the mats. In my experience that has been mandatory. If you want to have something non-slip with a mat you can always attach a metal plate to the mat then cover it with some skateboard grip tape or the like. Race cars often have something like that affixed to the floor, or a textured metal plate. Same goes for pedals, they're frequently smooth metal covered with grip tape.
Great idea, the skateboard grip tape; hadn't thought of that specific source / type of friction tape.

I am not sure about the PCA's rules, but I wasn't required to remove mats for either of my two track days with BMW CCA. Also, the floor itself is carpeted and I'd imagine not any more grippy, though I understand the motivation to ensure the mats don't move.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 04:16 AM   #7
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
That's odd, i don't find that my shoes slip at all on the mats. Perhaps get different shoes with more rubbery soles?