BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2012 Mercedes E550: a review (kinda)

07-13-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
2012 Mercedes E550: a review (kinda)

Well, I'm not sure if most of you remember, but I posted here a while ago saying that my mom had gotten a new 2012 Mercedes-Benz E550 4MATIC sedan, with the AMG package and about everything else you can throw into that car, about a week and a half after I got my new 335is.
Well, today I got to drive the beast with it all broken in and neither of my parents accompanying me. So... I'll give a small review! First some pics, and then a full(ish) review!

NOW... the review.

I'll start with the cons:
-barely any exhaust note ... and it's a V8 turbo
-slow gear shifts. Compared to my DCT, the car is really not very responsive to gear changes with the paddle shifters.
-handling/road feel: Handling is ok, but the steering is so light, you really have no road feel at all. Very weird at first coming from my BMW's steering and handling.
-Navigation: the car has so much amazing technology (i go into further detail below), but the nav system still feels old and outdated, and their psuedo-idrive is just not up to par with BMW's at all!

The pros:
-THE POWER... 4.6L turbocharged V8 producing 402 horsepower and 443lb/ft of torque!! This car PULLS! I would say it isn't as 'quick' as my 335is, at least not to 60, but it really just pulls at high speeds because of the hp and torque. Really nice
-Smoothness: Even when launching and at higher speeds, the car is just extremely smooth and comfortable.
-Comfort and appointments. When driving normally, the car is truly just a joy to drive. It pretty much does everything for you and it's super comfortable - like a Mercedes saloon should be. And the ambient lighting and appointments are truly eye pleasing.
-Technology: again, the car does everything for you... it will hug you when turning, heat and cool your seat, 2 sunroofs, shaded back window, and it will even tell you when you are falling asleep.
-4MATIC: 4 wheel drive in this car is really nice. No wheelspin at all when launching (I never really floored it, but I did some quick launches from a standstill).

Wrap-up:
Overall, I'm a fan. Not as fun to drive as my car, but a sleeper on the streets. Probably the perfect 'mom' car... extremely comfortable at any speed, and super smooth - but you can pass a bunch of cars on the road with ease.
I like the styling, a lot. For a sedan, the car is quite sporty and appealing to the eye. IMO, I like the design better than the 5 series. Steering could be better, and I wish Mercedes made the exhaust more pronounced for a big V8.

Would I ever buy this car for myself? No, just not my type of car.

I guess it's true... Mercedes definitely has the comfort and tech down, but when it comes to true driving pleasure and fun, BMW has it down (except for the AMG models of course... having been in a couple, those cars are MONSTERS).
Mercedes really is the 'muscle car' of the german world... except it also has a nice interior, haha.

Feel free to ask any questions!

EDIT: I haven't made any videos, but I can do a walkaround/through... and I might do some exhaust/acceleration clips.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 04:11 AM   #2
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

My mom has the same car and ur review is pretty much spot on haha. Great power, comfort and torque. Tech is all there. Just doesn't have the driving or steering feel like my own bmw. I will say this tho, the steering "tightens" up when you drive it faster.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 04:41 AM   #3
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
My mom has the same car and ur review is pretty much spot on haha. Great power, comfort and torque. Tech is all there. Just doesn't have the driving or steering feel like my own bmw. I will say this tho, the steering "tightens" up when you drive it faster.
Glad you like the review. how does your mom like the car? My mom absolutely loves it. She says it's the most comfortable car she's driven, and she came from GL450 SUV (which was very comfy).

I'm sure the steering tightens up, I didn't drive at crazy high speeds, but I always felt in control in a straight line and around corners. I just didn't feel as in control around the corners as I do in my BMW at similar speeds.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Glad you like the review. how does your mom like the car? My mom absolutely loves it. She says it's the most comfortable car she's driven, and she came from GL450 SUV (which was very comfy).

I'm sure the steering tightens up, I didn't drive at crazy high speeds, but I always felt in control in a straight line and around corners. I just didn't feel as in control around the corners as I do in my BMW at similar speeds.
My mom doesn't drive it everyday but when she does, she keeps saying it's super comfy. My dad loves the car as well. She came from the previous gen E350 so having even more luxuries as well as a overall bigger car is only a plus for her!

I also wish that the exhaust note was a little better tho. All that power needs some grunt in it. Since it's 4matic, try accelerating during the big turn when entering a highway. You'll literally feel the active steering go "heavier" kinda like the bmw steering feel. Not as good but during big changes and higher speeds, the feel of the wheel gets better. Sad thing is, we can't set it to keep that setting/feel at all times. It only activates when the car is in "stress" if that's even the right word to use LOL!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
My mom doesn't drive it everyday but when she does, she keeps saying it's super comfy. My dad loves the car as well. She came from the previous gen E350 so having even more luxuries as well as a overall bigger car is only a plus for her!

I also wish that the exhaust note was a little better tho. All that power needs some grunt in it. Since it's 4matic, try accelerating during the big turn when entering a highway. You'll literally feel the active steering go "heavier" kinda like the bmw steering feel. Not as good but during big changes and higher speeds, the feel of the wheel gets better. Sad thing is, we can't set it to keep that setting/feel at all times. It only activates when the car is in "stress" if that's even the right word to use LOL!
That makes sense about the 4MATIC and the steering. I actually haven't driven the car on the freeway, but I did push it out of turns a bit and I never felt the car would slip.

And I'm just so sad about the exhaust. I can understand why Mercedes wouldn't really give the car a noticeable exhaust note though, considering their target audience. Also, that's why they have the E63... monster car and monster exhaust! haha
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
jkrig
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)

Big fan of the w212....shame the 550 will only be 4matic....should buy mom a Renntech tune for xmas, their website says ther programming brings that beast to....
(crank hp)530 HP @ 4900 RPM; 606 LB-FT @ 4100 RPM
      07-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
In picture 5 is that a Bentley behind ur car..?

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
JayML
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ....

I find the car is outdated a little. I mean its nice, dont get me wrong but compared to the bmw 550 or even the s6 i find it trails both of them in a few areas, definetly the "fun factor".

most mercedes are known for there vault like status, so I guess it depends on who you ask in regards to the car. Maybe I'm a little young to be driving it (I'm 37) but my next car will not be a Mercedes. Its funny because my mom drives a 750, and she took my car the other day and told me she loves it. On a nice night I always take my 335.

The E550 has no sport. At all. AMG package does nothing. Its just the way Mercedes make there cars. Ive driven SL63, S550, C63, and an E55. Speed aside, all these cars are boring.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #9
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYearsBoy View Post
In picture 5 is that a Bentley behind ur car..?
Yes. Our neighbors at our home in palm desert have a Bentley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapmyfro View Post
I find the car is outdated a little. I mean its nice, dont get me wrong but compared to the bmw 550 or even the s6 i find it trails both of them in a few areas, definetly the "fun factor".

most mercedes are known for there vault like status, so I guess it depends on who you ask in regards to the car. Maybe I'm a little young to be driving it (I'm 37) but my next car will not be a Mercedes. Its funny because my mom drives a 750, and she took my car the other day and told me she loves it. On a nice night I always take my 335.

The E550 has no sport. At all. AMG package does nothing. Its just the way Mercedes make there cars. Ive driven SL63, S550, C63, and an E55. Speed aside, all these cars are boring.
I agree. Definitely an older persons car. My dad has an SL550 and loves it. Fast car, very comfortable and sporty looking... But it isnt much fun to drive compared to my 335is.
I would consider a C63 though. My friend had one - coming from a 335i M-sport. He says the AMG is much more fun and also much more difficult to drive well. It just has so much power and torque. And the exhaust note is just plain scary haha.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 11:17 PM   #10
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
That makes sense about the 4MATIC and the steering. I actually haven't driven the car on the freeway, but I did push it out of turns a bit and I never felt the car would slip.

And I'm just so sad about the exhaust. I can understand why Mercedes wouldn't really give the car a noticeable exhaust note though, considering their target audience. Also, that's why they have the E63... monster car and monster exhaust! haha

yeah, the dead exhaust note are for the old classy folk E63 for the enthusiast

As for me, I'm rocking the inline 6 NA engine on my 128i and Loving it. Once I get enough cash, I'm gonna get me the C63 Coupe. NA all the way!

Last edited by Garduna; 07-14-2012 at 05:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapmyfro View Post

Yea but nothing conveys image and status like a Mercedes.

An S Class always pulls more prestige than a 7

An E always has more road presence than a 5

I barely notice the 5 series, though I do believe its the best in its class. I didn't like the E350 I drove, mostly because of the chassis was stiff yet steering numb...so it was confusing. ENgine was marvelous...and styling wasn't for me.

That being said...when an E-class is coming at you, you know it.

When a 5 is coming at you, it looks like a 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 02:45 AM   #12
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

That's very true. There's just something about a Benz where everyone will know that something special is coming your way. I do notice the new 5 series simply because I'm a car enthusiast. All my other friends and family don't even register it.
Appreciate 0