M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

08-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
m5huang
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1995 bmw 325is

ED n00b question

Hi Folks,

I've been reading the forums because I'm interested in doing ED of the F10 M5. I live in California, but have family in NJ.

Honestly, my main concern is pricing. Doing some feeler calls around to my local dealership, the salespeople are all playing the game that they can only sell the car at ED MSRP. I told them that I wasn't going to be that sucker who would buy it for that price and for them to call me back once they're serious. So I'm thinking of expanding my reach. I'm 99% certain of what i want (Thanks guys for posting the bmwconfig site!!)

Therefore:

1- Does it matter which dealership I purchase the m5 for ED?
2- Assuming I'm OK with traveling to that dealership to pickup the car after ED in Germany, what benefits does a local dealership have over let's say I bu y one from NJ? Does it change the service warranty or....? I realize that I'll need to ship the car back over, but if I can save thousands in the car price, it may be worth it.
3- I read in the forums that some dealerships are willing to make deals at a little above ED invoice. Is that still the case?
4- Any other tips or experience in the buying process would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
journeyguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Whats your email ? Check your message also ? I might be able to help you. Lemme know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5huang View Post
Hi Folks,

I've been reading the forums because I'm interested in doing ED of the F10 M5. I live in California, but have family in NJ.

Honestly, my main concern is pricing. Doing some feeler calls around to my local dealership, the salespeople are all playing the game that they can only sell the car at ED MSRP. I told them that I wasn't going to be that sucker who would buy it for that price and for them to call me back once they're serious. So I'm thinking of expanding my reach. I'm 99% certain of what i want (Thanks guys for posting the bmwconfig site!!)

Therefore:

2- Assuming I'm OK with traveling to that dealership to pickup the car after ED in Germany, what benefits does a local dealership have over let's say I bu y one from NJ? Does it change the service warranty or....? I realize that I'll need to ship the car back over, but if I can save thousands in the car price, it may be worth it.
3- I read in the forums that some dealerships are willing to make deals at a little above ED invoice. Is that still the case?
4- Any other tips or experience in the buying process would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!
      08-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
For the most part, no it does not matter. The only difference is what you noted in question #2. Once the car arrives in the US, it has to be delivered to either the selling dealership or the Performance Center in SC. So if you want to have the car in CA you will need to pay the extra cost to have it shipped. The warranty and maitenance plan are with BMW, so it is unaffected by the choice of dealer.

Quote:
Yes, all ED M5 orders currently come out of the dealer's allocation. While I have no facts regarding this change, it is my guess that the pool of cars allocated to the ED pool out of the first production batch have all been sold. Therefore the only production slots available in the first production batch are those allocated to specific dealers. I would expect (although I have no facts on which to base this assumption) that when the second production batch is allocated, the ED pool will again receive a certain allocation of cars.

I have no idea when BMW will plan/allocate the next production batch. However, my dealership only received 2 US allocations out of the first batch, both of which have been sold. So my CA has said to me that he tells his other customers waiting for an M5 allocation to expect delivery no earlier than late Ocotber or November. I do not think he has any hard facts on future timing of M5 production, but is making an educated guess after having sold BMWs for the past 20 years.

Quote:
Based on comments I've seen on this board and other M5 dedicated websites I can share a few general observations on selling prices/negotiating with dealers. First, it seems CA dealers are much more aggressive in charging full MSRP and in some cases a premium over MSRP. Second, members generally seem to get good deals from smaller dealerships or dealerships in smaller markets due to the lower demand for M5s from those markets. Third, you seem to be following the best strategy for negotiating:
1. Determine the exact build you want, and price it out on bmwconfig.com or edmunds.com.
2. Contact the dealer and show them the car you want. Offer a fair price over their cost that you are willing to pay.
3. If they decline, thank the salesman for his time and provide your contact information. Tell him you have a few other dealers you plan to talk to, and he should call if they change their mind about your offer.
4. Move on to the next dealer and repeat. If you call multiple dealers and get no positive responses, you either have to increase your price or wait out the intial "new model" demand until the market gets into a more normal supply/demand balance.

I hope this information is helpful. Good luck with your search!
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
m5huang
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyguy View Post
Whats your email ? Check your message also ? I might be able to help you. Lemme know.
BTW it looks like I can't private message for at least 1-2 days. so please drop me an email. thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
m5huang
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
For the most part, no it does not matter. The only difference is what you noted in question #2. Once the car arrives in the US, it has to be delivered to either the selling dealership or the Performance Center in SC. So if you want to have the car in CA you will need to pay the extra cost to have it shipped. The warranty and maitenance plan are with BMW, so it is unaffected by the choice of dealer.
Thanks so much for your advice! So I will expand my reach to other states, too. I was thinking of even trying Nevada. I wonder if buying out of state will help me save sales tax since CA is so high. Again, thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
journeyguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

email sent..lemme know.

Quote:
you can email me at huang0133 AT hotmail.com

Replace the "AT" with @
      08-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Thanks so much for your advice! So I will expand my reach to other states, too. I was thinking of even trying Nevada. I wonder if buying out of state will help me save sales tax since CA is so high. Again, thanks for your help.
FYI - You pay sales tax in your home state, not in the state of purchase.If you buy out of state you will pay sales tax when you register the car in CA.
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Probably wont get a car below ED MSRP at the moment. (that is already a 6-7% saving off US MSRP)
All the above correct per my understanding too
Appreciate 0