E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Aussie Order Timeline

11-12-2005, 08:44 AM   #1
padster
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: '13 Audi SQ5; '16 Porsche GT4

Aussie Order Timeline

Hi, wondering if any fellow aussies here can shed some light on their order timeline?

I placed my order on 11 Sep and I was told last week (6 Nov) by the dealer that the car will only be produced in Week 46 (this coming week). This means it would have taken just over 2 months from order to car production, which seems excessive to me. The dealer originally quoted 3 months as the estimated delivery. Now it's looking more like 4 months... :mad: The more I think about this, the more I believe the dealer has done a shifty on me...

The dealer said when I placed the order it was too late for Oct production and so it had been scheduled for Nov production. Could they not have organised Oct production considering that the order was placed on 11 Sep??

Any info on Aussie timelines would be appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2005, 05:46 PM   #2
Costa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I placed my order mid August, and it was not in product until mid-lat September. Although, after that, it seems to have either not finished production or have been waiting for a truck to take it to the shipping port for about five weeks. At the moment the car is somewhere between Fremantle and Melbourne (due to dock on the 15th). Once the ship docks, the standard BMW dealer response is "2-3 weeks to delivery" - this is to allow time to deliver to your dealer and do any prepping/repair.

So for me it will be about 3.5 months all up - pretty average if you compare with how long it takes for the American folks.
      11-12-2005, 06:19 PM   #3
mowog
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by padster
I placed my order on 11 Sep and I was told last week (6 Nov) by the dealer that the car will only be produced in Week 46 (this coming week).

The dealer said when I placed the order it was too late for Oct production and so it had been scheduled for Nov production. Could they not have organised Oct production considering that the order was placed on 11 Sep??
I placed an order with BMW Melbourne on September 9th, and was told at the time it would be October production, for December delivery. I managed to get a VIN number from them in mid-October, so on that basis I'm fairly confident that it actually got built already

I've been checking Wallenius Wilhelmsen's cargo tracking page daily since then, but they have no record of the car yet. All that means though is that the car hasn't been booked for shipping and is probably about to make its way from Rosslyn to Durban.

What I find disappointing about the whole process is the dealer can't give me any idea of delivery date until the car docks in Melbourne, or so they say. From what they've told me, by tracking the car with W&W I'll actually know more about the timeframe than they will..

Anyway, it sounds like you were fed about missing October production. Your order went in two days after mine, and my car was produced somewhere mid-month.

--m
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2005, 06:27 PM   #4
Costa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Yeah I agree with being fed with regards to the status of the car. The salesmen here (Oz) really don't seem to like any questions about the car's status, and act stupid whenever you ask. I think there is some kind of arrangement between BMW Oz and the dealers where they get kick-backs for "flexibility" with customer delivery ("dealer holdback ?"). This is why I believe they do not divulge any information until the very end. I don't care how they make their money personally, so long as they can tell us what is going on - it is a long and painful wait. It's a good thing this site exists to keep us busy otherwise I personally would have died wondering.
      11-12-2005, 10:27 PM   #5
padster
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: '13 Audi SQ5; '16 Porsche GT4

Thanks for the info guys.

I did email the dealer to tell me what the order cut-off date for Oct production was and he never bothered to get back to me. I'm not too pleased to say the least.

I should probably get them to explain.
Appreciate 0