F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > which suspension is firmer? f30 m sports or e90 standard?
GetBMWParts

08-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
WALLER
Rep
Drives: 328I

which suspension is firmer? f30 m sports or e90 standard?

my 328I is standard version, the suspension is too soft.I love the e90 suspension very much. which one shoud I choose? m sports or m performance? thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALLER View Post
my 328I is standard version, the suspension is too soft.I love the e90 suspension very much. which one shoud I choose? m sports or m performance? thanks.
Are you doing this after market?
IOW, you already have your 328i, and you want to get a BMW sport suspension?

If so, there are better after market setups that would give you a very nice setup, and likely not cost as much as a BMW setup.

You don't have to go with a full coil over setup.
Get a set of springs for what you like, such as stock sport, which will give you the drop as OEM and provide similar ride quality.
Then, pick some dampers to match the kind of driving you do.
Have a shop but them on, do an alignment and carry on.

BTW, are you saying that the non sport E90 had a firmer suspension than the non sport F30?
From what I recall that wasn't the case.
The E90's non sport suspension was just as soft and wallowy as the F30's non sport suspension.

The E90's sport suspension was nice. I think it was firmer than the F30's sport suspension. But, the E90 also rolled on the previous gen RFT's that had rock hard sidewalls. The F30's are using next gen RFT's that have softened up the overall ride.
I think that may be a big part of why many people think the F30's sport suspension is softer than before.
The next gen RFT's could very well be giving people that impression.
But the overall sport susp ride quality in the F30 feels nicer with these next gen RFT's.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
WALLER
Rep
Drives: 328I

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post

If so, there are better after market setups that would give you a very nice setup, and likely not cost as much as a BMW setup.

Get a set of springs for what you like, such as stock sport, which will give you the drop as OEM and provide similar ride quality.

BTW, are you saying that the non sport E90 had a firmer suspension than the non sport F30?
The E90's non sport suspension was just as soft and wallowy as the F30's non sport suspension.

The E90's sport suspension was nice. I think it was firmer than the F30's sport suspension. But, the E90 also rolled on the previous gen RFT's that had rock hard sidewalls. The F30's are using next gen RFT's that have softened up the overall ride.
I think that may be a big part of why many people think the F30's sport suspension is softer than before.
But the overall sport susp ride quality in the F30 feels nicer with these next gen RFT's.
thank you for your relply. the after market setups are too low for me (30mm-60mm lower, B12 KWV2 KWV3),the bmw setup is perfect(sports 10mm,performance 20mm). i have drove E90 for 5 years, the suspension was very nice ,much better than F30.i just want my F30 can be drove like a standard E90.maybe i should choose m sports suspension?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 01:22 AM   #4
s2000jan
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E89 - sDrive 35is

I had an E92 and the F30 M sport suspension is definitely harder - in sport mode that is - than the standard E92 suspension.

In comfort mode it is softer compared to the E92
      08-31-2012, 02:34 AM   #5
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post

Surely these modifications would invalidate the BMW warranty?
Well it would in the UK for sure!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

I know this isn't helpful but did you drive he F30 before you bought it? It seems that you would have noticed the more compliant suspension. And second, you should have bought the Sportline.
Appreciate 0