F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > M adaptive suspension observations
ARMA SPEED

09-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #1
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

M adaptive suspension observations

I've had my 335i Msport for a bit over a week and about 450 miles.
Not a lot of time, but enough to get some good impressions of how it works.

Over all it's great.
I can't tell if sport mode is any firmer than than the non adaptive sport, but in sport mode it's nicely firm.
The RFT's don't match the suspension though. Even with this new gen they still have a harsh impact on bigger hits, and with the sport suspension I get that same harshness as I did in my 135i with RFT's.

The most surprising thing for me is that in "comfort" mode handling is still nicely controlled. Chalk that up to the sport springs and the adaptive dampers doing their job nicely.
There is a bit more body lean/sway when in comfort mode in higher speed transitions, but it holds itself nicely. It's of course better in full sport mode when the road gets twisty and speeds increase.

The thing that I didn't expect is how much I like comfort mode for day to day driving. I thought that it might be too soft. The sport springs still do their job to give a firmer ride, and the dampers simply take out those little "bumps" and soften the undulations on roads that aren't nicely flat.
Comfort suspension setting is great for day to day driving. It's not like the standard non-sport suspension, which feels too soft all around for my taste.
I'm driving in 'sport' drivers mode while in 'comfort' for suspension. Excellent ride quality.

That setting is achieved in iDrive. You can configure "sport" mode so that when you choose 'sport' drivers mode, you can alter either the 'drive train', 'chassis', or both.

The other cool thing I did, after reading a members post, I use the #1 button to quick access the sport mode config. Once you get to the mode config screen, you can assign that screen to one of the 8 numbered buttons on the dash. It's a great way to get quick access to things you want to adjust more often, but don't want to go through all the iDrive screens.
I have #2 set to radio/sat stations, and #3 is set to tone controls.
So if I want to set eq I hit the #3 number and the tone settings come up on iDrive. Very cool.

Back to the suspension. I didn't know if would really need it or use it as I've always liked BMW's sport suspension. But, once I experienced the comfort setting for day to day driving, it's very nice, and adds a nice flexibility.
VSS comes with the DH pkg. Frankly, I don't notice anything unique or necessary about it. It's good that BMW included it in the DH pkg for 2013 since now it costs less to get the adaptive suspension and VSS.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
webdither
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Garage List
Good writeup! It looks like the DHP is going to be $1000 well spent, can't wait until I get to feel it for myself
      09-08-2012, 12:48 AM   #3
franzbk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i MSport

Thanks for the info! Cant wait to play with it myself. Congrats!
328i M-Sport Estoril Blue W/ Black Dakota Leather, Estoril Blue Accent & Aluminum Trim| Dynamic Handling PKG| Premium PKG| Technology PKG| Lighting PKG| Driver Assistance PKG| HK Sound || Sport Steering W/ Shift Paddles|
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #4
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
VSS comes with the DH pkg. Frankly, I don't notice anything unique or necessary about it. It's good that BMW included it in the DH pkg for 2013 since now it costs less to get the adaptive suspension and VSS.
For the Canadian market, adaptive M suspension is a stand alone option for $500, but only available with M Sport package ($2300 extra). VSS ($450 extra) is also available for either Sportline or M Sport.
Thanks for your feedback on adaptive suspension and VSS.

I am eagerly waiting for my M Sport, expected to arrive late November.
      09-08-2012, 01:44 AM   #5
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Thanks for the write up!
      09-08-2012, 02:46 AM   #6
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
The thing that I didn't expect is how much I like comfort mode for day to day driving. I thought that it might be too soft. The sport springs still do their job to give a firmer ride, and the dampers simply take out those little "bumps" and soften the undulations on roads that aren't nicely flat.
Comfort suspension setting is great for day to day driving. It's not like the standard non-sport suspension, which feels too soft all around for my taste.
I'm driving in 'sport' drivers mode while in 'comfort' for suspension. Excellent ride quality.
That mirrors my experience exactly. Got my 335i a week ago and done 500 miles, and ended up with the same settings. I wasn't going to go for the adaptive suspension originally but I am *so* glad I did, the ride quality in "comfort" is just outstanding.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 03:43 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
The most surprising thing for me is that in "comfort" mode handling is still nicely controlled. Chalk that up to the sport springs and the adaptive dampers doing their job nicely.
There is a bit more body lean/sway when in comfort mode in higher speed transitions, but it holds itself nicely. It's of course better in full sport mode when the road gets twisty and speeds increase.

That is what I would expect to find, something a passive sport suspension won't give in such a refined way.

BTW, my interest in F30/31 models has just changed, I've bought a 535i M-sport wagon this week and have the full Adaptive Drive suspension. So in addition to the softer 'comfort' feel, have the active roll/sway bars which in my view are as important as the damping, you just don't roll in transitions.

I get it next week, so I'm sure you will hear more about it, and how I'll be configuring it, similar to you I imagine.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #8
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

Quote:

Over all it's great.
I can't tell if sport mode is any firmer than than the non adaptive sport, but in sport mode it's nicely firm.
The RFT's don't match the suspension though. Even with this new gen they still have a harsh impact on bigger hits, and with the sport suspension I get that same harshness as I did in my 135i with RFT's.

That setting is achieved in iDrive. You can configure "sport" mode so that when you choose 'sport' drivers mode, you can alter either the 'drive train', 'chassis', or both.

The other cool thing I did, after reading a members post, I use the #1 button to quick access the sport mode config. Once you get to the mode config screen, you can assign that screen to one of the 8 numbered buttons on the dash. It's a great way to get quick access to things you want to adjust more often, but don't want to go through all the iDrive screens.
So if I want to set eq I hit the #3 number and the tone settings come up on iDrive. Very cool.

Back to the suspension. I didn't know if would really need it or use it as I've always liked BMW's sport suspension. But, once I experienced the comfort setting for day to day driving, it's very nice, and adds a nice flexibility.
When I switch over to sport mode (less and less these days as the comfort setup is very good in most daily drving conditions as you statet) I configure as follows--

Chassis only for sport mode setup
DS on 8at

This give me the firm steering and shock control, raised shift, points and leaves the normal (more easily controlled IMHO ) throttle response.

Give it a try..

M adaptive is well worth its cost. VSS--for $100. its ok, $300. (2012) probably not.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
crowed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:

Over all it's great.

Thanks for the post I am surprised that you prefer the comfort mode steering feel. Although I haven't tried the steering in the MY13 model w/ adaptive M suspension, I did try comfort and sport mode steering in a MY12 335i sport line and found the steering in comfort mode to be a bit lax-- note that I am coming from an E92 coupe which has hernia inducing steering feel. I expect to always keep the sport mode steering/suspension combined with the comfort mode throttle response.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #10
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

It's always interesting to see how people choose to actually use the car as opposed to pre-purchase theorizing. One needs to actually drive the car to learn what works best for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Delete....
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
E36toF30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT

RPM90, your thoughts on the adaptive suspension match my impressions almost exactly. I think the comfort mode is great for everyday driving -- quite comfortable while still providing good handling, but sport model is always there if I want to take things up a few notches
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #13
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Without it, the car is one dimensional. A perfect suspension reigns supreme. M Sport Adaptive is so close to nirvana. Thank you BMW.
      09-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #14
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
That is what I would expect to find, something a passive sport suspension won't give in such a refined way.

BTW, my interest in F30/31 models has just changed, I've bought a 535i M-sport wagon this week and have the full Adaptive Drive suspension. So in addition to the softer 'comfort' feel, have the active roll/sway bars which in my view are as important as the damping, you just don't roll in transitions.

I get it next week, so I'm sure you will hear more about it, and how I'll be configuring it, similar to you I imagine.

HighlandPete
Nice!
Congrats.

The active dampers sway bars would be a great addition to the DH pkg on the F30 too.

Last edited by RPM90; 09-08-2012 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #15
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowed View Post
Thanks for the post I am surprised that you prefer the comfort mode steering feel. Although I haven't tried the steering in the MY13 model w/ adaptive M suspension, I did try comfort and sport mode steering in a MY12 335i sport line and found the steering in comfort mode to be a bit lax-- note that I am coming from an E92 coupe which has hernia inducing steering feel. I expect to always keep the sport mode steering/suspension combined with the comfort mode throttle response.
No, I actually MUCH prefer the firmer steering effort.
But I do like the "comfort" setting for the suspension for day to day.

Last edited by RPM90; 09-08-2012 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #16
PF64
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Quote:

The way I have it set gives me the same functions of "sport" driver mode as any 3 gets, which is firmer steering, quicker throttle, and higher rpm shifts.
I configured sport mode to only affect the "drive train" functions, which are the standard functions.
This way, only the adaptive suspension is left in "comfort" mode.
When you want the firmest adaptive suspension setting, you can go into the configuration and include the suspension/"chassis" to also go into sport mode.
I can easily get to the configuration screen by pressing the #1 button. I assigned the sport config screen to that button. Very cool.
Are you saying that if you set certain configurations you can leave the car and when you return to it you can press one of the assigned buttons and it will return to your assigned set up ?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #17
crowed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:

The way I have it set gives me the same functions of "sport" driver mode as any 3 gets, which is firmer steering, quicker throttle, and higher rpm shifts.
I configured sport mode to only affect the "drive train" functions, which are the standard functions.
This way, only the adaptive suspension is left in "comfort" mode.
When you want the firmest adaptive suspension setting, you can go into the configuration and include the suspension/"chassis" to also go into sport mode.
I can easily get to the configuration screen by pressing the #1 button. I assigned the sport config screen to that button. Very cool.
I'm actually pretty sure that suspension and steering are tied together in 'chassis only' mode, and 'drivetrain only' affects throttle response/mappings. So I don't think it's possible to get sport throttle+steering, and comfort suspension. Maybe the the increased speed makes it seem like you have firmer steering?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #18
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF64 View Post
Are you saying that if you set certain configurations you can leave the car and when you return to it you can press one of the assigned buttons and it will return to your assigned set up ?
No. We all wish it would do that.

If you have the M adaptive suspension option, then you also get a driver mode "sport configuration" screen. This screen is where you can set the adaptive suspension mode, to either "comfort" or "sport".
That configuration is then held for when you select "sport" for the drivers mode.
But, you still have to select sport mode, because as you know, every time you start up the car it's default is "comfort" mode.

The buttons I am referring to are the buttons numbered 1-8 on the dash.
You can assign certain iDrive screens to those buttons so that you can access those screens quicker, without having to go through all the steps in iDrive to get there.
I assigned button #1 to go straight to the "sport mode" configuration screen.
It's a cool function of iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #19
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowed View Post
I'm actually pretty sure that suspension and steering are tied together in 'chassis only' mode, and 'drivetrain only' affects throttle response/mappings. So I don't think it's possible to get sport throttle+steering, and comfort suspension. Maybe the the increased speed makes it seem like you have firmer steering?
No, you are correct.
The steering effort and suspension are tied together.
I much prefer the sport steering effort, but the comfort suspension setting is great for day to day commuting.
Once I get the new set of non RFT's, I think I'll like using sport/firm everyday.
With RFT's my 135i's rear end would literally leave the ground on big bumps, and other bumps were quite harsh.
When I switched to non RFT's the ride was much better and the suspension worked better as well.

Coming from a 135i so I don't mind a heavier steering.
But, my N54 developed poor throttle response after a software update a couple of years back, and I much prefer the snappier response in the 335i in sport mode.

As with others, I too wish that BMW would allow us to pick certain aspects of these modes that we like, and then let us FULLY configure the available modes.
In the least, if BMW simply put in a "firm/soft" button or setting for the adaptive suspension, then it would leave everything else as it is and we just alter the suspension. There are so many buttons and configurations, and we still can't set things up they we individually want them.
It's just software programming at this point.

Last edited by RPM90; 09-08-2012 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #20
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtrey View Post
When I switch over to sport mode (less and less these days as the comfort setup is very good in most daily drving conditions as you statet) I configure as follows--

Chassis only for sport mode setup
DS on 8at

This give me the firm steering and shock control, raised shift, points and leaves the normal (more easily controlled IMHO ) throttle response.

Give it a try..

M adaptive is well worth its cost. VSS--for $100. its ok, $300. (2012) probably not.
Went for a drive earlier using the "chassis" only setting.
Great setup.
Even though I prefer the quicker throttle, the chassis only setting sets all the other things more to my liking.
In that mode I get the firmer steering, full sport suspension, and in auto trans mode I get all 8 gears without having to use manual shift mode.
For quicker shifts there is DS or manual mode.
Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by RPM90; 09-08-2012 at 11:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #21
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
No. We all wish it would do that.

If you have the M adaptive suspension option, then you also get a driver mode "sport configuration" screen. This screen is where you can set the adaptive suspension mode, to either "comfort" or "sport".
That configuration is then held for when you select "sport" for the drivers mode.
But, you still have to select sport mode, because as you know, every time you start up the car it's default is "comfort" mode.

The buttons I am referring to are the buttons numbered 1-8 on the dash.
You can assign certain iDrive screens to those buttons so that you can access those screens quicker, without having to go through all the steps in iDrive to get there.
I assigned button #1 to go straight to the "sport mode" configuration screen.
It's a cool function of iDrive.
Ask your dealer if they can program the drive select switch to "last user mode" if I remember right my dealer said it could be done (and they may even do it for free, mine offered to do so) and then it will always stay in whatever mode you left it in until you change it.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #22
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Ask your dealer if they can program the drive select switch to "last user mode" if I remember right my dealer said it could be done (and they may even do it for free, mine offered to do so) and then it will always stay in whatever mode you left it in until you change it.
That would be great. But my sales guy says it can't be done.
Maybe something new available?

They did program "last user mode" for the ASS.
Maybe this is what your dealer was talking about?
Appreciate 0