F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > For all e92 owners going to an f30
proTUNING Freaks

09-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
Nitz99
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW F30 335i Sport

For all e92 owners going to an f30

Hi all, thought it would be fun to start a thread for those currently driving an e92 who are going to an f30 (or those who have an f30 now but were in an e92 prior to this). What's the reason for the switch? For those who already made the switch, any thoughts? I personally am coming out of a lease on an e92 and do not want to get into another e92 lease since I've already been in 2 (a 2007 and a 2010). I'm excited for the f30 as I love the aesthetics of the car and know it'll handle beautifully. I am a little concerned about the car feeling much bigger than what I'm used to but am hoping it will feel as nimble as the coupe. Either way I'm sure once I take delivery of the f30 I'll love it as much as I love my e92 now.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
JoNaH
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

i sold my e92 and ordered a f30 and awaiting delivery, i switched because i needed something new, new technology, 4 doors because i got annoyed with 2 doors. and the e92 was getting boring and old and looking outdated, plus the f30 m sport looks insane!!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
webdither
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Garage List
I am also going from an E92 to F30. I've only ever owned 1 sedan in my life which was a 2007 330i before my 335 coupe. I sold it in less than a year, I LOVED how it handled and loved the practicality of 4 doors. But really couldn't stand looking at it! It was just not a looker (in my opinion). So I sold it in less than a year and upgraded to the E92.

The F30 is just so much better looking at every angle inside and out, when I saw the M Sport trim level in the brochure I knew I'd wait to see it before ordering. Almost didn't get it because I didn't see the value in the extra cost but the more I saw it in pictures here I changed my order.
      09-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
webdither
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Also can't wait to get rid of those gigantic doors that refuse to stay open unless you open it all the way!
      09-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
CurlyFatAngry
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: his BMW as much as he can !

Baby on the way.

Had two coupes, loved them both so this is my first sedan in a very long time. If it was up to me I wouldn't have made the move.
'08 Jet Black E92 328xi, Premium, Sport, iPod, Black Grille, GP Thunder, Painted Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
mgarvey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Renault Megane

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdither View Post
Also can't wait to get rid of those gigantic doors that refuse to stay open unless you open it all the way!
+1

The doors used to irritate me on my E93...open a bit....just a bit more and I can get out...CLANG (as the door flings out miles)...no, not that far. Dread to think how many cars I put dings into in tight car park spaces.

The F30 is notably bigger, but you get used to it and it still handles pretty well!

Previous: F30 318d Sport, R56 MINI Dooper 2010, E93 325i M-Sport auto 2007, E91 320d SE 2005, E46 318Ci Coupe 2002
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

I'm not making the switch. My E92 is just shy of five years old, and has 40K miles on it. I'm not crazy about 2-door cars, but I like the looks of the E92, and the standard fold-down seats make the format work for me. The F30 would offer some minor electronic upgrades (notably bluetooth streaming and HUD), and much better fuel economy ratings, which would be a plus. But: (1) I like the N52 engine better than the N20; (2) I like the sport seats in Saddle Brown, which as an American I am no longer allowed to have; (3) I like the MT when paired with the non-turbo six; (4) I like the steering, handling and ride of the E92. So it seems that the car that will replace my coupe isn't made yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

I've had 2 E90 335s, an E90 M3, an E93 M3 and an E92 M3. Great cars, but they are really starting to look dated. I'm not a huge fan of the plastic graining on the F30, the dash and top of the doors look pretty cheap to me. (might be just in comparison to my other car which has a full leather interior)

But, the F30 is miles ahead in terms of ergonomics. Doesn't feel a huge amount larger to me, just a little bit, mainly because I can't see where the nose of the car ends. Still feel like a very tidy sedan. It's a TON roomier and more comfortable for me, too. Next year, the electronics in the f30 are getting an upgrade, for those of you with a late model E92, you might want to wait for the new one. The iDrive in the 2012 F30 (and early 2013) is the same (or largely the same) as in the 09 and later E9x.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #9
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

If I go with an F3x, it'll be the coupe or 4GC. I like the looks of coupes better and I like that the coupe encourages me to use my trunk rather than the back seat, thus keeping the interior of my car less cluttered.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #10
kokopuffs405
Yup
Rep
Drives: BMW?

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
I like new things
      09-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

I've had 2 E90 335s, an E90 M3, an E93 M3 and an E92 M3. Great cars, but they are really starting to look dated. I'm not a huge fan of the plastic graining on the F30, the dash and top of the doors look pretty cheap to me. (might be just in comparison to my other car which has a full leather interior)

But, the F30 is miles ahead in terms of ergonomics. Doesn't feel a huge amount larger to me, just a little bit, mainly because I can't see where the nose of the car ends. Still feel like a very tidy sedan. It's a TON roomier and more comfortable for me, too. Next year, the electronics in the f30 are getting an upgrade, for those of you with a late model E92, you might want to wait for the new one. The iDrive in the 2012 F30 (and early 2013) is the same (or largely the same) as in the 09 and later E9x.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 02:57 AM   #12
Shakal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

F30 looks nice, but I will rather wait for a F32, because it will look even better, just like E90 vs E92.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #13
martyl
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post

What do you mean when you say next year the electronics are getting an updgrade? Are you referring to the new NAV system or something else? I'm planning on a 2014 model so I'm curious. Thanks.
      09-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #14
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
The door on the E92 were longish, compared to my 135i.
The 135i has perfect sized coupe doors, not too long or short.

I do like the driver ergo's of coupe more so than a sedan, due to the B pillar.
This F30 has a very large B pillar. Plus, the trim curves in toward the driver as it gets to the B pillar and that takes away shoulder room. I have enough, but if they would have kept the trim piece straight it would be more comfortable for me.

A couple of times there has been a car to my left and they were completely blocked by the HUGE B pillar. You really have to set your side mirrors properly and then USE them or you might get a surprise.
If you have lane warning, then you've got that covered. I don't.

Are you guys, coming from coupes like me, getting the F30 because you want more passenger space?
If not, why not wait for the 3/4 series coupe?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #15
Nitz99
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90
Quote:
The door on the E92 were longish, compared to my 135i.
The 135i has perfect sized coupe doors, not too long or short.

I do like the driver ergo's of coupe more so than a sedan, due to the B pillar.
This F30 has a very large B pillar. Plus, the trim curves in toward the driver as it gets to the B pillar and that takes away shoulder room. I have enough, but if they would have kept the trim piece straight it would be more comfortable for me.

A couple of times there has been a car to my left and they were completely blocked by the HUGE B pillar. You really have to set your side mirrors properly and then USE them or you might get a surprise.
If you have lane warning, then you've got that covered. I don't.

Are you guys, coming from coupes like me, getting the F30 because you want more passenger space?
I'm going from coupe to sedan because of the timing of my lease. I've already had two e92 coupes and loved them both but it's time for something new and all that's available in a redesigned body style is the sedan. I actually love the styling of the f30 and am really excited to take delivery of it. As I mentioned earlier, my only concern is the car feeling much bigger and not handling the way I'm used to the coupes handling but from all I've read here and from my brief test drive, I don't think I have to worry about the handling aspect.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #16
webdither
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
A few reasons:
  • Passenger space. I don't really need it as I am single but it will be nice as I prefer to drive when going anywhere with friends. Maybe I am a control freak?
  • I got the new car bug! My coupe was a CPO, it has one year of warranty left. There's really no way I want a BMW out of warranty. Good time to sell while it has that warranty to make it more desireable.
  • It's very likely I'll be back into a 4 Coupe or maybe Gran Coupe after the lease on the sedan is up. I like change so that would be a good change for sure in 3 years.
      09-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #17
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitz99 View Post
I'm going from coupe to sedan because of the timing of my lease. I've already had two e92 coupes and loved them both but it's time for something new and all that's available in a redesigned body style is the sedan.
Wow, that really sucks. There's gotta be a better way to do this. I've never leased a car, so I don't know -- can't you just extend the term for another 6mo (or however long it takes) if they know you'll be picking up a new coupe soon?

Buy out the lease, then sell it privately (or trade it in, if you're married to the idea of getting a crap deal) before leasing an F32?

Any people familiar with leases have any better ideas?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #18
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

Quote:
+1... parking is super tight spots, the massively long doors do not make it easy to get in and out of.

Also, I like the F30 shape and I'm keen on having passengers exit through their own door rather than eject themselves very un-gracefully from the back on me
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #19
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconti View Post
Wow, that really sucks. There's gotta be a better way to do this. I've never leased a car, so I don't know -- can't you just extend the term for another 6mo (or however long it takes) if they know you'll be picking up a new coupe soon?

Buy out the lease, then sell it privately (or trade it in, if you're married to the idea of getting a crap deal) before leasing an F32?

Yes it does! My lease is up in early April and the new coupe doesn't go into production until July. BMW wont let you extend the lease until you have a VIN number. So that basically cannot happen. Then, if you can extend the lease, it's only for 6 months max. So basically lots of e92 coupe owners are likely to be screwed. Which leaves me in a dilemma. I was so set on doing an F30 ED. I'm still set on ED but I'm just not so sure I'm so set on an F30. So maybe it will be something else (see my Cayman v. F30 thread) and a trip to Europe!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #20
webdither
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
Also, I like the F30 shape and I'm keen on having passengers exit through their own door rather than eject themselves very un-gracefully from the back on me
It's even more entertaining watching a passenger try to get out while in a tight parking spot and simultaneously try not to put a dent in the other car It's like watching a contortionist!
      09-12-2012, 12:41 AM   #21
Nitz99
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitz99 View Post
I'm going from coupe to sedan because of the timing of my lease. I've already had two e92 coupes and loved them both but it's time for something new and all that's available in a redesigned body style is the sedan.

I can't say I feel like my situation sucks. I have always loved the 3 sedan throughout my ownership of coupes and have actually considered switching over before my last lease. Also, like others here I am looking extremely forward to having 4 doors as the coupe doors have been a burden due to their size. The f30 offers plenty of technology updates from what I'm coming from and is a beautiful car. I have no regrets with my decision to lease one and can't wait to take delivery in a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 01:13 AM   #22
Peach
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 f30 335i Sport

Garage List
Driving a loaner e92

I'm coming from a 98 m3 sedan! I sold it a few months ago thinking I was getting my 2012 F30... But it's been delayed. In the meantime I've been driving a loaner '11 E92 328 coupe. That jump alone has been amazing. But I have to agree that the car is aging and LOL about the large doors in small spaces. My car doesn't have idrive or any additional options other than special paint and leather seats. So I know my fully loaded F30 is going to rock. I do have to say that my old M3 had some kick to it and 14 years later, the 328 I'm driving doesn't seem that more powerful....just tighter and refined.

My 2 reasons for getting a new BMW was I spend soooo much time in my car I wanted some technology (which I had absolutely none in my M3) and also every trip to the mechanic was costing me 1500-2000 grand in repairs - no matter what the problem was. I figured it was time for a warranty again. Besides, it will be my first brand new car!
Appreciate 0