F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Standard AT vs sport AT
proTUNING Freaks

09-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Standard AT vs sport AT

We've had a few threads on this issue.
I'm creating this one because I've now had an opportunity to drive a 328i with the standard AT. I've had the 328i for 2 days and it looks like I'll have it for the weekend as well.

I have a 335i Msport w/ sport AT. So, this comparison won't be exact as the engines are different, but for the most part the AT's in either 328i and 335i are the same trans with same gearing.
The differences are more between how the standard AT compares to the
sport AT.

Many have asked if the sport AT is really "faster", shifting, vs the standard AT, or is it just cosmetic leather boot, different lever style, and paddles.
Short answer: YES, sport AT is faster, and it's a cosmetic pkg.

In driver 'comfort' mode and the trans in D, both versions of the AT work wonderfully with very buttery, seamless shifts. Both lock to the engine at low speed and give you a "connected" feel as if there were a real clutch in there.

Manual mode, driver mode in 'comfort'. Here we start to feel a difference.
Single shifts are quick with the standard AT, but the sport AT is quicker.
If you haven't driven the sport AT, then the shift speed of the standard version will feel quick and very nice.
Even greater difference is felt in downshifts. With the sport AT downshifts are responded to quicker and very quickly. The standard AT at times, will take a bit longer to execute the shift. You will see the rev climb and then you will feel the downshift. In the sport AT both things happens at the same time.

Manual mode, driver mode in 'sport'. Here there is a more distinct quickness with the sport AT. Each tap up or down is an instant response from the sport AT vs the standard version. You really have to try both to appreciate it. It's not that the standard AT is slow, it's just that the sport AT responds quicker and executes the shift quicker, as I described above. You feel the shift happen as the revs climb with a down shift. In the standard AT the response is quick, but you see the revs climb and then the shift happens/is felt. Multi gear downshifts, like from 6 to 2, are extremely quick with the sport AT. Both trans types will skip gears in a multi gear downshift, the sport AT is quicker in doing so.

It seems that the standard AT goes about it's business in a quick yet smoother manner, where the shifts are designed to smooth out the shift so that it's not felt as much by the driver. The sport AT in sport mode and manual w/sport, gives up some smoothness in order to give a quicker shift, even if it's more perceived by the driver.
That's fine with me. IN sport drivers mode in either DS or manual, I prefer the instant quickness and give up a more damped/smoother shift, hence the "sport AT".

Both versions are fantastic, and both are fast, the sport AT is faster as it should be. Having had the experience to drive each version for an extended time, shows me that there is more to the sport AT than just it's cosmetics.
There IS more quickness with the sport AT. Whether it makes a difference to any one person, that is up to you to decide.

I will also say this, I don't know if it's the trans or because of the N20, but I really like the more damped downshifts of the standard AT for daily driving.
It may be a fraction of a fraction slower to downshift, but the standard AT has a smoother manual mode downshift quality, which feels great for daily driving.
I'd like to try a 335i with standard AT to feel how it performs and see if I get the same sensations.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

have the n20 with sport auto and its fucking awesome. shifts so quick and i get close to 40mpg on the highway
      09-29-2012, 02:59 AM   #3
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

thanks for breaking it down. i have the sport a/t and love it. surprisingly, my SA told me recently the take rate on the sport a/t is only less than 20%.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 03:57 AM   #4
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328inGE View Post
thanks for breaking it down. i have the sport a/t and love it. surprisingly, my SA told me recently the take rate on the sport a/t is only less than 20%.
I too have the Sport Auto and loving it. Don't know what percentage of UK auto drivers opt for it, but here it's just £135 on top of the price of the standard box (and worth it).

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
Terpinator
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 550i xDrive M Sport

I just test drove a non-sport 335i xdrive and, even in manual sport mode, it would not hold onto a gear. What is the purpose of manual mode if the tranny will shift for you? Does the sport transmission option hold a gear in manual mode?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terpinator View Post
I just test drove a non-sport 335i xdrive and, even in manual sport mode, it would not hold onto a gear. What is the purpose of manual mode if the tranny will shift for you? Does the sport transmission option hold a gear in manual mode?
the non sport ZF in my dads x3 holds a gear in manual.
      09-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

On the sport transmission, IIRC, sport mode will hold the gear unless you depress kickdown button of the footfeed. Sport+ holds the gear and will also not shift up. As I recall, the transmission will not shift up on its own when DSC deactivated as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terpinator View Post
Do you mean that in manual mode the trans will shift up well before red line, even in "sport" driver mode?
Appreciate 0