E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Accident - what to check?

10-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
F1Senna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 Sedan

Accident - what to check?

I was just hit on the highway - rear wheel and part of the rear door were impacted at 55mph. I was able to swerve out and avoid taking too much damage, the other car looked pretty bad (it was his fault entirely).

My question is, what should I be checking for mechanically? Wheel alignment etc? Are there any quick at home tests I can do? I don't want to take it to the dealer straight away to be upsold on stuff I don't need.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Take it to a body shop.

They'll need to check the alignment, control arms, verify that the unibody is not twisted/bent, etc.

You'll need an estimate anyway, to claim on the other guy's insurance; so take it to a professional.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
tntsE90
Private
Rep
Drives: e90

UP SOLD???

The other guy hit you, so most likely his insurance will be paying out unless you claims your first if you have full coverage and have his reimburse yours. Anyway, drop it off to a reputable body shop and have them deal with the insurance paperwork and come pick it up when it's ready.

A word before hand, you "MAY" find aftermarket, like-kind, remanufactured parts, etc., in the repairs. In the majority of states, it's perfectly legal and will always be the first option when it comes to repair and insurance companies. A lot of people B!Tch about wanting only OEM parts in repair but the moment that car was driven off the lot, it is considered USED and anything suitable non-oem will always be the first choice unless there was no aftermarket option.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
F1Senna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 Sedan

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0