E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > VCG Help! Previous failure?

10-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
djamroz
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

VCG Help! Previous failure?

Bought my e90 330i a little while ago. I had a decent leak by the cover so decided to take it apart. I got everything apart and had 4 broken bolts. Got three out. 4th one is bottom back of block. Cant get to it. Icing on the cake, i reach in to the back and feel the bottom to see if bolt goes all the way through. There is a small hole next to the bolt on the bottom. After further digging, i found a piece of a broken drill bit in there from the bottom. Im guessing this was previous owners attempt at repair and failure so put it back together. Now there is no exposed thread from top and cant rotate it out. Tried 3 different extractors, easy outs, reverse drill bits and the thing wont move.

Any suggestions?!?!?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
djamroz
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

Well you have a couple of choices none of them good. Try to drill out the existing bolt by using a small hardened bit them going larger (I assume you can reach that area because normally in the back you can't). It should not be under any load but the fact that someone tried a number of easy outs makes this sound like it was cross threaded and will only come out in pieces.
Other options are not pleasant as in taking the head off which is extreme for this repair.
3rd option is to drill and tap this one size larger and not real deep and becareful with the torque.

Sure sounds like someone really torqued this to the max and snapped it or cross threaded it...
Appreciate 0