E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How do dealers handle vendor warranties?

10-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
BLKBRY
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 E93 328i 6MT

How do dealers handle vendor warranties?

I purchased my car before having knowledge of the threads so no proper research had been done prior. It came with 41K miles on it and since factory warranty would be out at 50K I opted for an additional 35K warranty from a third party vendor. My question is has anyone had an issue with BMW dealers honoring the vendor warranties and if so, on what and how did it turn out? Right now I'm just over 50K and I want to take it in to dealer to have them fix that weird window rolling down again after I've told them all to go up nuisance. Plus I just want to know what to expect in case anything major happens. This is my first Bimmer and my daily driver so its going to rack up the miles pretty quick. I've already done 9K in 6 months.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
ChipB
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 'vert, 2014 X5

You can ask the BMW service adviser whether they honor any 3rd-party warranties, but I suspect the answer is no. Third party policies typically specify a maximum labor rate, and I'd be surprised if it comes anywhere close to covering the rate charged by the dealer. You might call the 3rd-party company and ask whether thet have any "approved" or "certified" repair shops in your area. Also beware that policies may require "pre-approval" by the carrier of repairs - so read your policy carefully.
      10-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
BLKBRY
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks Chip I'll definitely take all of that under advisement.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
Roowah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

I recently purchased an extended warranty after my BMW extended warranty (6 year/100k) expired. It's through CNA and is the only 3rd party warranty sold at my dealer. I prefer to get my work done through them instead of an Indy.

It's for an additional 4 years/42k. Price I thought was very reasonable considering I'd expect to pay much more for repairs over the course of 4 years and it's quite comprehensive. My car's already 6 years old, so it's just a matter of time something big goes wrong. The great thing it's that it has a 0 deductible if work is done at their dealer. Otherwise it's $100 anywhere else. Since they sell it, I'm assured there won't be any issues with payments.

2006 E90 330i 6MT: TiAg|Black Leather|Poplar Trim|Premium Package|Cold Weather Package
2003 E46 325i 5MT: Retired - The beginning of my BMW obsession!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Taylorguy74
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipB View Post
You can ask the BMW service adviser whether they honor any 3rd-party warranties, but I suspect the answer is no. Third party policies typically specify a maximum labor rate, and I'd be surprised if it comes anywhere close to covering the rate charged by the dealer. You might call the 3rd-party company and ask whether thet have any "approved" or "certified" repair shops in your area. Also beware that policies may require "pre-approval" by the carrier of repairs - so read your policy carefully.
I had same issue for labor rates at the dealer with my Range Rover prior. The third party wouldn't pay the outrageous dealer prices for parts and/or labor. The one time I took the tpw into the dealer, it cost me a couple hundred out of pocket dollars to make up for the difference in parts and labor costs - only did that once! 125/hr for labor was ridiculous!

Ended up finding a reputable and really decent indy Land Rover/Jaguar garage which would charge a heck of a lot less in labor rates (75/hr) and got discounted rates on stock parts - which they ordered through the dealer anyway! Only would cost me a $50 deductible, however - there were pre-approvals needed where the indy had to call the tpw carrier and submit work requests/cost estimates. Kind of a pain waiting as they went back and forth sometimes, but since I frequented the indy and passed along other customers to them, they never charged me more than what was necessary to cover parts cost above and beyond what the tpw would pay for the pre-approved repairs.

I also only used the tpw for major repairs like seal leaks and driveshaft replacements. All the minor gremlins I usually took care of myself with the help of diy forums like this one we have here.

I want to say I paid around 2K for the tpw extended warranty up to 100K miles versus the 5K the dealer wanted. All in all, still saved money in the long run. Worth the hassle? How patient are you?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep
Drives: 0

How much did you guys pay for the third party warranty if I might ask?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
BLKBRY
Enlisted Member
Rep

I think I paid $2300 for the 35K miles. I don't remember exactly but it's something absurd like that. Still kicking myself for not doing my research ahead of time but it was a spur of the moment purchase that I'll never make the mistake of doing again. Lesson learned.

Thanks guys for the heads up on TPW info.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep
Drives: 0

platinum bmw 7/100k is around 3.2k that covers everything except wear and tear items...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
wahooooman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Atlantis M3

I have an extended warranty by LEXUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKBRY View Post
I purchased my car before having knowledge of the threads so no proper research had been done prior. It came with 41K miles on it and since factory warranty would be out at 50K I opted for an additional 35K warranty from a third party vendor. My question is has anyone had an issue with BMW dealers honoring the vendor warranties and if so, on what and how did it turn out? Right now I'm just over 50K and I want to take it in to dealer to have them fix that weird window rolling down again after I've told them all to go up nuisance. Plus I just want to know what to expect in case anything major happens. This is my first Bimmer and my daily driver so its going to rack up the miles pretty quick. I've already done 9K in 6 months.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a extended warranty by LEXUS for an additional 50K and bring it to my local Bmw dealership. the only issue i have is i find myself paying out of pocket and then the warranty reimbursing me after the service adviser sends the bill and asks if Lexus will cover it. The only thing they denied to pay for was the carbon cleaning, for carbon build up.
good luck