E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Stock RFT on track

08-02-2007, 09:36 PM   #1
BMWdrmz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Stock RFT on track

Anyone use their stock run flats on track? How did they behave?

I ordered a set of R-compounds, but I literally have 152 miles on my stock tires. I'm thinking I should use those before mounting the R-comps.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

What kind of racing? My boyfriend AutoXed my 330i with the stock runflats and he said they weren't bad.

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 10:14 PM   #3
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
What kind of racing? My boyfriend AutoXed my 330i with the stock runflats and he said they weren't bad.
Yep...I AXd mine (first time) and turned in times close to M3 E46(stock) and E36s (set up) set up for the track!

I even tied the dude in an M5! eheheheheheh
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 11:20 PM   #4
BMWdrmz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellthebeans View Post
Yep...I AXd mine (first time) and turned in times close to M3 E46(stock) and E36s (set up) set up for the track!

I even tied the dude in an M5! eheheheheheh
I was curious how they behaved on a road course (HPDE). How did they hold up to heat, i.e. did they get greasy? How was grip at the limit and at speed (above 120mph)? How was turn in response and overall tire feedback?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 12:29 AM   #5
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

how much track experience do you have?

unless you're a real track junkie you probably shouldn't be on R compounds

even if you are, the stock sport pack tires are fine on track, I pretty much burned mine off on the track
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 06:11 AM   #6
BMWdrmz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

^^ I'm no expert but I've a bit of experience under my belt. I've actually just finished wearing out my current set of r-compounds. I immediatelt bought another set, and kind of had buyer's remorse because I have a perfectly good set of stock max performance summer tire in my garage (albeit run flats) that I could use for my last couple of track days. I was just curious if anyone used them for tracking and if they liked them.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 08:16 AM   #7
RED FURY
Fast Red Cars and Blonde Women are my Passions !!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: CR 335i Sport and Mod MINI S

Garage List
Too bad we don't get more track posts

It seems we are SHORT on ROAD COURSE TRACK drivers .....

and have a surplus of :

1. Dyno Queens :rocks:
2. Drag Racers
3. Street Racers
4. Chest Pumpers and Back Patters

It's a shame since this could be a great track car, hope we get more feedback on that
      08-03-2007, 08:22 AM   #8
Hegemony
Fast Like Tiger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED FURY View Post
It seems we are SHORT on ROAD COURSE TRACK drivers .....

and have a surplus of :

1. Dyno Queens :rocks:
2. Drag Racers
3. Street Racers
4. Chest Pumpers and Back Patters

It's a shame since this could be a great track car, hope we get more feedback on that

We've got a lot of people who post before they read/search as well.

I ran my RFT's on the track. They did reasonably well, but you could definitely tell you needed something more while on the edge of grip. I'd say that if you're a junkie you'll wish you had R compounds, but otherwise you won't care.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 08:44 AM   #9
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
I ruined my Runflat fronts on a two day track event...I do not recommend using them on track unless you drive like my grandma.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 09:34 AM   #10
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

If it's your first season on the track, the RFT should be fine. Remember, the reviewers who wrote all the glowing reviews - did it with the RFT.

The fronts will get chewed up. I pumped mine 42front and 36.5 rear (I know, big variance) but that seemed to help dial out some of the inherent understeer.

You are just going to have to be really patient on power application - too early and you'll push like a biotch
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 11:05 AM   #11
RED FURY
Fast Red Cars and Blonde Women are my Passions !!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: CR 335i Sport and Mod MINI S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
I ruined my Runflat fronts on a two day track event...I do not recommend using them on track unless you drive like my grandma.
Thanks, that is what I wanted to know ...

Have you used your new setup yet ? Non-staggered ?
      08-03-2007, 09:44 PM   #12
sblument
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I guess I've not been driving that hard since my stock RFTs have been through three track weekends and 4-5 autocrosses + about 13k miles of regular driving. They still have a lot of tread left. I now have a set of Kumhos for the track vs. burning up $250-350 RFTs at that rate.

I thought the RFTs performed well on the track.
      08-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #13
RMRC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d

I thought they did a fair job. I'm in the intermediate run groups so not pushing as hard as others but after about six 25min sessions I have only 2-3 sessions left on the fronts. Also, because my car went into limp mode every session I wasn't running hard for a solid 25mins. I have chunks of tread missing all across the contact patch as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 10:15 PM   #14
BMWdrmz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. I have a seperate set of 19" rims and tires that I use for regular street driving. I just feel like I wasted money buying another set of R-comps when the I have the stock tires setting in plastic bags with less than 160 miles on them collecting dust. I also run in the intermedite group. I push as hard as I can with in my limits. I only have two tracks days left planned. I'll be happy if I can get through them with the stock tires, and save my r-comps for next year.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2007, 09:53 AM   #15
davig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

2 c worth from 2 track sessions:
-as mentioned, the front tires outside edges take a beating. Mark the edges with shoe polish and watch for corner rub and adjust pressure accordingly.
-the RFTs generally handle adequately but have a tendency to get greasy quiickly as they build up heat a bit sooner than other tires even on a cool evening. I found that bleeding out a bit of air pressure in the rears helped.
-what you smell on a hard lap is $ burning
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2007, 09:26 PM   #16
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED FURY View Post
Thanks, that is what I wanted to know ...

Have you used your new setup yet ? Non-staggered ?
I did at an autocross last weekend..they did well..but they were really a HPDE tire..and at an autocross..they werent ideal...not sticky enough. My current R compounds are Pilot Sport Cups.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2007, 09:27 PM   #17
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I was so use to rotating that when I was at my track event I jacked up the car and started to rotate them then did the big "DUH", slammed the heal of my hand into my forehead and said "they are staggered you idiot" and put them back the right way...and proceeded to destroy the outside edges of my front tires in the remaining sessions. Oh well..its only money.

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #18
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post

As a complete novice I must have drove like a grandma then.I did a two day event at Heartland Park (Topeka). Temps were BRUTAL! triple digits both days.

The N52 performed flawlessly!

RFTs are fine for my level. I am not even close enough in driving skills to push them to their limits. The nice thing about streets tires is they "chirp & squak" a good deal before letting go. Or so I am told & I believe it....I was to hot coming into a turn or to late or a combination of both...and the tires let me know it. I had her up to 115 on the long straight and there were no issues:rocks::rocks:... Did not have the nerve to push any higher considering I needed to slow down to negotiate turn one.

the tire pressure I ran about 42 up front & 44 in the rear.....not really sure if this is the best combination....I do need more practice before I can really start to worry about tire pressure combination. These I think are OK...there are small little arrows located around the tread edge. You can look at the wear pattern, if it wearing edge meets the top of the arrow your tire pressure is OK. My tires gained about 4-5 PSI as the tires warmed up.

With the high temperatures I would give them an overall thumbs up.

Any one reading this considering to purchase this car because its cool on the track...I would recommend an older E30 325i. Again, As a novice your only scratching the surface on what an E90 (NA) with ZSP can really do. I am thinking of buying just such a car to learn on....this has caused me to reconsider purchasing the M3! As at this point....I am not worthy of its track potential.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 10:43 PM   #19
F30Toad
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Genesis G70

I felt mine communicated grip very well at the track. There was no sudden loss of grip at any point so I was very happy with them. They definitely did start to loose traction during the last 5 minutes of a 20 min session. Probably would have been quicker if I was able to go hard the entire time. Since it was a school with limited passing areas, the tires would get a rest at times once I caught someone and waited for the passing zone. They still seemed to loose grip progressively, so they never caught me off guard. The outsides of the front tires were heavily worn after my 4 sessions. I will be doing one more track day with these and don't expect to have much front tread left. The car will have 12-13k, 4 autox and 2 track schools. I think the rears will still have a decent amount left at this point, the car seems pretty easy on them.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 08:31 AM   #20
ZBMW
Black Forest Bimmerphile
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I ran three 20 minute sessions during a recent instructors day and was very happy with their performance. It was a very hot day and I I used the tire pressure the factory put in. Don't know if you could tell the difference at higher tp due to the stiff sidewalls. Like the others, my outside fronts got well chewed.
An intermediate driver should have no problems with the RF's on a road course. They are more than up to the task.
Appreciate 0