E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > winter tire question

10-22-2012, 04:25 AM   #1
Shadow007
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe monaco blue

Exclamation winter tire question

What's going on everybody?
Quick/noob question, I'm currently in the process of ordering winter tires, but I want to know if I could use the same tire size that I have now for the winter. Im planning on getting basic tires and not run flats. On the front I have 225/40 R18 88W and the back 255/35 R18. Will this still work or would I have to buy smaller wheels and tires? Im trying to save a few bucks without being forced to buy the whole package. But being stationed in Germany and according to the forecast, it's going to start snowing next week so getting some tires is a must.

E85 Z4M
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
zzzbullseye
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i (F10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow007 View Post
What's going on everybody?
Quick/noob question, I'm currently in the process of ordering winter tires, but I want to know if I could use the same tire size that I have now for the winter. Im planning on getting basic tires and not run flats. On the front I have 225/40 R18 88W and the back 255/35 R18. Will this still work or would I have to buy smaller wheels and tires? Im trying to save a few bucks without being forced to buy the whole package. But being stationed in Germany and according to the forecast, it's going to start snowing next week so getting some tires is a must.
There's a ton of good information to be found in this sticky. Generally speaking, a square 17" setup is considered optimal for the 328i/335i, but 18"s will work, just not as effectively. Check out the excerpt from Gary at the Tire Rack below that I pulled from the sticky thread:

I'm just going to mount tires on my factory 18" Sport wheels because I have aftermarket wheels for summer or just don't want to buy another set of wheels. Can I use 225/40R18 on all four wheels even though the rear is now 255/35R18?

Yes, you can use 225/40R18 on both the front 8" wheels and the rear 8.5" OE wheels with no problem. This is actually very common to do. Eliminating the stagger in this way works very well for winter and results in better winter traction.

There are so many choices it is overwhelming! What are most doing? What do you recommend for a good package?

I would recommend 17" for winter use on the 335i using a 225/45R17 tire size on all four corners. There are handful of wheels we carry that will clear the brakes and work well. Three of the more popular choices have been the Sport Edition A7, Elbrus I08, and Rial Salerno. For maximum winter traction, consider the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70 or Michelin XiceXi2. For more of a balance between winter traction and dry road handling/cornering check out the Bridgestone Blizzak LM60, or the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3.

I'm running 225/45R17 Blizzak LM60s on a square 17" Rial Salerno setup and have been pleased with the results.
      10-22-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
Speedwagon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sportwagon

If you are here in Germany, you can find all kinds of winter wheels for sale, new and used. The Germans don't use all season tires very much like the Americans do, so it's very easy to find what you want. Last year we had around 4" of snow all winter (Wiesbaden) that being said you never know about the weather. I just put put a set of 18" high performance cont-DWS go flats on. I'm not worried! I will put the runflats, (riding on stones) back on in the spring!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
Shadow007
Captain
United_States
Rep

Awesome, that pretty much answered my next question about having all four tires the same. Well since thats the case Im going to probably go with the Continental DWS since there all season. Thanks again

E85 Z4M
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

Personally, I would not run all season, especially in Germany. Make sure you know the local regulations - to my understanding, winter tires are mandatory to ensure coverage by insurance in Germany. Make sure it has the mountain/snow flake sign.

I would either get 225/40R18 all around on your sport wheels, or get a dedicated set of 17" and do 225/45R17 winter tires.

I'm not sure if you have all-wheel drive or not, but considering your staggered setup, you probably don't. Definitely get dedicated winters.

You have some really good choices of winter tires in Europe, as the market there is much bigger than the US. The ContiWinterContact TS850 I've heard is a really good winter tire.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/wheels-...04/our-verdict
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by anerbe View Post
Personally, I would not run all season, especially in Germany. Make sure you know the local regulations - to my understanding, winter tires are mandatory to ensure coverage by insurance in Germany. Make sure it has the mountain/snow flake sign.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/wheels-...04/our-verdict
Wrong. Dedicated snow tires are not mandated. Certainly a good idea in the snowy parts of Germany, but not required by any Authority or Agency.
      10-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
Shadow007
Captain
United_States
Rep

Ok, I appreciate the input. I think I will go for actual winter tires this time around. I had the Continental DWS on my last car, Infiniti G35, and those performed well durning the last season, I was very impressed. According to the forcast, the snow is coming down earlier this year compared to last year (Dec.). So it looks like this winter is going to be here for the long haul. I've looked at the Bridgestone Blizzak Ws60 and those seem to have decent reviews according to tire track plus the price isn't to steep compared to the other brands. Thanks again peeps, I think I found my choice.

E85 Z4M
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasVS View Post
Wrong. Dedicated snow tires are not mandated. Certainly a good idea in the snowy parts of Germany, but not required by any Authority or Agency.
Sorry, I misspoke - it must bear either the snowflake symbol or M+S (some all seasons have this marking) to be legal. Typically, the snowflake/mountain symbol tires will already have the M+S marking on it. All-Seasons are more of a US product, which spills into the European market, so regulations had to be clarified to cover these.

Overall, it is mandated to have some sort of winter capable tire on - cannot drive with summer tires.

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/...99996/0/search

http://www.garmisch.army.mil/info/Sa...nformation.pdf

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...ter-tyres.html

http://www.blackcircles.com/news/201...laws-explained

Do you have any other information that proves otherwise?
Appreciate 0