E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > 2010 LCI Facelift E90 with Xenon headlights - Angel Eyes DRL Daytime Running Lights

11-18-2012, 04:46 AM   #1
seemebreakthis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

2010 LCI Facelift E90 with Xenon headlights - Angel Eyes DRL Daytime Running Lights

DRL is not a legal requirement from where I am, so I searched for ways to enable AE DRL and did it successfully by just changing one item in the NFRM module:

TAGFAHRLICHT_ECE_1 --> aktiv

This alone accomplished what I wanted. Bright handsome angel eye DRL.

One thing I noticed is that the AE is brighter when in DRL mode vs. when the headlights are on. Found this thread but it doesn't seem the guy is willing to share the codes to change brightness:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599080

Does anyone know the codes to maintain full brightness for the AEs w/ or w/out DRL, headlight, etc?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

I'm pretty sure the AE's dim when you turn the headlights on so they don't dazzle on coming vehicles at night. The same as they dim when you use the turn signal, so the AE's don't stop people from seeing the turn signal.

It's probably best to leave this feature on.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 01:39 AM   #3
seemebreakthis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I'm pretty sure the AE's dim when you turn the headlights on so they don't dazzle on coming vehicles at night. The same as they dim when you use the turn signal, so the AE's don't stop people from seeing the turn signal.

It's probably best to leave this feature on.
These LED AEs I have http://www.e92-lighting.com/products...0W-1072-0.html probably wont ever be bright enough to dazzle anyone. I can barely see them during the day sometimes even when it is at full power.

There are 2 threads that show how this is done, but both require 'nettodat' coding which I know nothing about...:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499644
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763826

Just wanted to see if anyone has had success on nettodat coding to avoid dimming of the lights, and what voltage to apply?

My AE has an advertised power rating of 20W, and hopefully if this is the case, and given W=VI, do I need to measure the current somehow before I determine the best voltage to use?

Confused... any help appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
seemebreakthis
Private First Class
Rep

OK.. nettodat coding doesn't seem so scary after a bit of reading. Will try this weekend (with NCSDummy).

The only question I now have is that - I have a pair of DTEC CREE 20W LED AEs. Has anyone else try pumping 13+ volts to these? Obviously don't want to burn them up but a bit of increased brightness would be nice...

Hopefully someone with these DTECs who have done this before could help me out. Otherwise I will probably just play safe and code 12.5V for now....
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
seemebreakthis
Private First Class
Rep

Finally done Angel Eye Brightness coding. Yes it does work for my DTEC CREE AEs (I heard LUX AEs has built in capacitor to negate the coding effect, so I feel lucky to have purchased these DTEC ones).

First of all, coding needed to turn on Angel Eyes (my LCI E90 has a FRM3_E89.C32 NFRM module):
VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL --> drl_s
DRL_TFL_MIT_SL_1 --> aktiv

Now with NETTODAT coding (I used NCSDummy), coding the following will alter the angel eye's voltage to 12.5V at all times (again in FRM3_E89.C32)
PWM_SL_1_FKT_BL_TFL --> 0B, 1C
PWM_SL_1_FKT_PARKL --> 0B, 1C
PWM_SL_1_FKT_SL_TFL --> 0B, 1C

To alter the voltage (i.e. the '0B, 1C' part), use this formula:

Voltage * 4095 digits / 18V = the value to code (hexadecimal)

Now I have bright(er) AEs day and night.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
Cdutch513
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 BMW 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seemebreakthis View Post
Finally done Angel Eye Brightness coding. Yes it does work for my DTEC CREE AEs (I heard LUX AEs has built in capacitor to negate the coding effect, so I feel lucky to have purchased these DTEC ones).

First of all, coding needed to turn on Angel Eyes (my LCI E90 has a FRM3_E89.C32 NFRM module):
VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL --> drl_s
DRL_TFL_MIT_SL_1 --> aktiv

Now with NETTODAT coding (I used NCSDummy), coding the following will alter the angel eye's voltage to 12.5V at all times (again in FRM3_E89.C32)
PWM_SL_1_FKT_BL_TFL --> 0B, 1C
PWM_SL_1_FKT_PARKL --> 0B, 1C
PWM_SL_1_FKT_SL_TFL --> 0B, 1C

To alter the voltage (i.e. the '0B, 1C' part), use this formula:

Voltage * 4095 digits / 18V = the value to code (hexadecimal)

Now I have bright(er) AEs day and night.
I know this is an old thread haha but its the closest thing i could find. What does the "0B, 1C" part mean? Do i literally put that where it says "wert_06"?
Appreciate 0