E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Car/Engine sounds during and post use

11-21-2005, 12:00 AM   #1
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Car/Engine sounds during and post use

So I turned on the car today and got out of it while it was warming up. As I was walking away it sounded like there was some kind of not very nice rattle. The engine was running smoothe, but it had some rattle like sounds as if it was a diesel...

When your car gets older, it starts to make a lot of the tick-ting like sounds when its cooling down after a drive. I picked up my car on 9/30, so she is now almost 2 months old. It seems to me like she's huffing and puffing alot after every drive. Doesnt matter if I get on her or baby her, still the same, loud, tick-tang outcome.

Anyone experience either of these?

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2005, 08:27 AM   #2
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

I am not sure I understand your sound description. But by car which is also a 330 has a very noisy engine sound when I crank it up from a cold start. I am not sure if that is also normal and I think it got lounder now than when I first got it in May 05.

To answer your question, No I don't think I have those sounds you described. Get the dealer to check it out.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2005, 01:11 PM   #3
Ex's335
Private
Rep
Drives: 95 civic,

Sometimes that noise is the exhaust manifold cooling down. ya know metal expands with heat and contracts when it cools. my father-in-law's 04 dodge ram makes that noise and so does my old man's caddy. some are more noticable than others. Just my 2 cents.

The other sounds coming from your engine I can't tell you what it is. I know my neighbors 325 E90 sounds terrible when they first start it up but then dies down after it warms up. So I don't think you are alone in that problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2005, 02:41 AM   #4
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by questjack06
Sometimes that noise is the exhaust manifold cooling down. ya know metal expands with heat and contracts when it cools. my father-in-law's 04 dodge ram makes that noise and so does my old man's caddy. some are more noticable than others. Just my 2 cents.

The other sounds coming from your engine I can't tell you what it is. I know my neighbors 325 E90 sounds terrible when they first start it up but then dies down after it warms up. So I don't think you are alone in that problem.
My car is 2 months old. This is why I'm concerned. I know exactly what metal does with heat, but usually you dont hear these things until its been owned for over a year...from previous experience...

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2005, 03:07 AM   #5
Ex's335
Private
Rep
Drives: 95 civic,

i'm not implying you are not knowledable about vehicles. I was mainly pointing out that what I hear from most vehicles when they cool down. Have you had your oil change yet. You should be able to tell alot if they change it and do an oil analysis. We have this in the military and they can even tell how you drive the car and even tell us when the engine needs replacing. I think BMW does this because I have seen someone post their print out on this forum. Just trying to help, but I'm not a BMW guru( not yet anyway)
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2005, 07:15 AM   #6
Edo-
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i

Garage List
My dad and I think the same about our E46. It sounds like a diesel indeed while its in neutral but thats usual on the E46. But could it be that you had Airco on or something cause that could also causes the rattle sound.
Appreciate 0