E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > ZSP / Summer tires in the winter

08-21-2007, 09:28 AM   #1
Scarecrows25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 - Jet Black

ZSP / Summer tires in the winter

Do any of you guys in north Texas (DFW) swap out your summer tires in the winter? We usually have those 3 or 4 days of icy mix, and another week or so of questionable traction -- just curious how you guys handle it.

Do you risk it, swap tires, or just park the car?

Thanks!
      08-21-2007, 08:23 PM   #2
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
I'm not familar with winters in northern Texas, but the summer performance tires from the ZSP package aren't designed for snow or even cold weather. I want to say it's anything below 45-40°F where the rubber compound becomes to hard. Even without snow/slush, you can still spin the tires.
      08-22-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
Scarecrows25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
I'm not familar with winters in northern Texas, but the summer performance tires from the ZSP package aren't designed for snow or even cold weather. I want to say it's anything below 45-40°F where the rubber compound becomes to hard. Even without snow/slush, you can still spin the tires.
I knew the part about the snow, but the temp thing is a little eye-opening to me. In any event, I'd say there's one month total out of the year that *may* be cause for concern, but snow tires seem extreme. I sure something in the HPAS/UHPAS category is more fitting, but it's still harsh to think of swapping tires for a month.
      08-22-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
I'm guessing the E90's your only car?

You're right, snow's might be a bit extreme. What about picking up a used pair of all-seasons. Or just a cheap pair off Tirerack. I paid around $1,200 for my winter tires and rims from them. Then bought a jack at Sears for $100 or so.
Small investment of time/money vs. your car ending up in the body shop.
      08-23-2007, 04:40 PM   #5
Scarecrows25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
I'm guessing the E90's your only car?

You're right, snow's might be a bit extreme. What about picking up a used pair of all-seasons. Or just a cheap pair off Tirerack. I paid around $1,200 for my winter tires and rims from them. Then bought a jack at Sears for $100 or so.
Small investment of time/money vs. your car ending up in the body shop.
Yeah, it's my only ride. I may just break down and spring for some cheaper wheels/tires for the winter. I was talking w/ my buddy, and he went with 16"s for his snow tire set up.

Thanks for the feedback, nmulax!