E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Transmission Flush Methods

01-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
TheeGovernor
Life is better with burnouts
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Transmission Flush Methods

I got a good deal on auto tranny fluid and i know there are many ways to flush a transmission. I would replace the pan and filter in either method. Should I

1. Perform the diy method and drain and replace the fluid in the pan

2. Take it to a shop that has a transmission fluid exchange machine(hooks into transmission lines) and let them completely flush my system.

There is a risk of running the torque converter dry for method 2 and it costs more money, but it flushes the whole system so there in no old fluid left in. Method 1 will only get some of the fluid out. BTW car has 93 k miles.

Last edited by TheeGovernor; 01-24-2013 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
TheeGovernor
Life is better with burnouts
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Nobody?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
mi_bimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i E90 N52

I personally prefer method 1. I would suggest doing the fluid fill and drain twice. Fill and drain once, drive around for a week, then do the second fill and drain with pan/filter change. That way you get more of the old fluid out and minimize the risk of "shocking" the system.

I don't like the flushing method, too much risk of some crud getting dislodged. Especially for a car that has so many miles on it, and I'm assuming it hasn't had an ATF change done prior (preferred interval is every 60K according to BMW guru Mike Miller)
Appreciate 0