E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > To anyone with DP issues...

09-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #1
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 67 Camaro SS

To anyone with DP issues...

Well if you haven't read my last thread, amongst all the of eople against me, then I guess I will start by saying that I bought UR catless downpipes and full exhaust for my E90 335i. A truely magnificant product! I will try to find time to take videos of the amazing sound.

The day after the install, I threw a limp-mode code, but my car seemed to be riding "rich". I didn't dyno or check AFRs, I could REALLY feel it(as well as sob as my gas gauge ticked away)

I finally got a hold of someone who could read and clear my codes - it wasn't a faulty install...the O2 sensors were obtaining the same readings because of the lack of a catalytic converter.

So, cleared the code and brainstormed with a friend on how to fix the issue; obviously we had to extend the post-cat O2 bung. But what was the cheapest and easiest way to do it?

Well, I'm not particularly keen on sharing the cheap fix to people who abused me on the last thread, but I do not want to withold any helpful information.

The solution shoud be simple, sparkplug nonfoulers. They are universal in fitting, and friend of mine used it in his bunghole. Anyways, they are mostly used in test DP for 350's etc., but it should work on the 335 as well, seeing as the common goal is to extend the bung to make the O2 sensor obtain a different reading. The great thing is they are really cheap and readily available at your nearest Pep Boys or Auto Zone! (I believe they are around the $4 area, not sure as I have not purchased them as of yet)

I really hope this helps someone out, just throwing my 2 cents out there on the common CEL problem.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.

Last edited by rideelement247; 09-02-2007 at 10:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

have you tested this in your own bungholes?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 07:11 PM   #3
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

bungholio......lol
      09-02-2007, 08:34 PM   #4
2007_E93
Captain
Rep
Drives: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideelement247 View Post
Well if you haven't read my last thread, amongst all the of eople against me, then I guess I will start by saying that I bought UR catless downpipes and full exhaust for my E90 335i. A truely magnificant product! I will try to find time to take videos of the amazing sound.

The day after the install, I threw a limp-mode code, but my car seemed to be riding "rich". I didn't dyno or check AFRs, I could REALLY feel it(as well as sob as my gas gauge ticked away)

I finally got a hold of someone whocould read and clear my codes - it wasn't a faulty install...the O2 sensors were obtaining the same readings because of the lack of a catalytic converter.

So, cleared the code and brainstormed with a friend on how to fix the issue; obviously we had to extend the post-cat O2 bung. But what was the cheapest and easiest way to do it?

Well, I'm not particularly keen on sharing the cheap fix to people who abused me on the last thread, but I do not want to withold any helpful information.

The solution shoud be simple, sparkplug nonfoulers. They are universal in fitting, and friend of mine used it in his bunghole. Anyways, they aremotly used in test DP for 350's etc., but it should work on the 335 as well, seeing as the common goal is to extend the bung to make the O2 sensor obtain a different reading. The great thing is they are really cheap and readily available at your nearest Pep Boys or Auto Zone! (I believe they are around the $4 area, not sure as I have not purchased them as of yet)

I really hope this helps someone out, just throwing my 2 cents out there on the common CEL problem.
Actually,...I think the solution is some "TP for your bunghole"

Just kidding,..hope it works for you man.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 10:18 PM   #5
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I am too lazy to play with my bunghole. I'm going to wait it out for the codes to reappear - if they don't then GREAT!, but if they do, I have to crawl under the car again with oil changing ramps crossing my fingers yet AGAIN hoping not to burn off a nose, ear, eyeball, etc. I'd say another 25 miles or so until I throw another code; it seems they get thrown every 20~25 miles or so and then disappear after I start and stop my car and then anther 20~25 miles they reappear again.

I will let you guys know when I throw another code and get motivated to extend my bunghole.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 10:21 PM   #6
NikAmi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 3.0 Cabriolet

Its not really an issue for me. I just don't want to cross swords.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
Lee Rambler
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335 6mt, 04 e53 x5 4.4

you should try the 02 sims suggested in another thread
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #8
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

i was talking to friend yesterday at a bbq who is a distributor for UR and he happened to suggest the same antifouler bung as you mentioned. Just drill a hole in the bottom of it so the 02 sensor will see some exhaust gas content, and it should be pretty happy...my question is, is there enough room to fit them down there? They are at very minimum 3 inches long from what he tells me...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 08:41 PM   #9
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbrokeagain View Post
i was talking to friend yesterday at a bbq who is a distributor for UR and he happened to suggest the same antifouler bung as you mentioned. Just drill a hole in the bottom of it so the 02 sensor will see some exhaust gas content, and it should be pretty happy...my question is, is there enough room to fit them down there? They are at very minimum 3 inches long from what he tells me...
They are universal in fitting. It won't matter as lon as you get theshrter one, a friend of mine has em on his 350z.

I'm going to intall them this week b/cI threw a code tonight :mad:.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #10
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
This is a fairly well known solution for running catless. I had them in my Evo. I had to put two of them together and drill one out for the O2 to fit through in order to get the sensor far enough out of the stream to not throw a CEL. No big deal provided there is enough clearance to keep the sensor from hitting something once it's installed.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 05:06 AM   #11
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
Being a noob at this kind of thing would you be kind enough to take some photos during the install so we can all learn from your experiences ?

Would be appreciated.

Thanks (ex 350z driver here too :P - I miss it !)
      09-04-2007, 06:22 AM   #12
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post
Being a noob at this kind of thing would you be kind enough to take some photos during the install so we can all learn from your experiences ?

Would be appreciated.

Thanks (ex 350z driver here too :P - I miss it !)
Yea I will try an take pics. It is pretty simple however. Just buy the nonfoulers from Autozone and drill them if necessary. Then run the O2 sensor through the nonfouler and then into your bunghole. That shoud do the trick. I will attempt to do it between today and friday...I will keep you all posted
Appreciate 0