F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > First Service
proTUNING Freaks

03-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

First Service

So I brought my F30 335i sport to the dealer for it's first service.

They're doing the normal oil change and whatever else needs to be done in the first year but they're also doing a recall (I think it's the head restraint I've read about), but when I went in this morning the service guy said he also has me down to do a software update.

Any idea as to what the software update is? It's a 2012 if that makes a difference.

Stop reading now for my terrible 328 comparison below as they refused to give me a M5. THE NERVE!
___
Naturally, they gave me a 328i. It's a fairly decent car. It seems bigger than mine, but I think that's due to the interior and the fact that I have sports seats. They're a must for me. Another must is the HUD. Driving without it now feels like a handicap. I can't feel any perceptive difference in weight, but I haven't tried taking any curves at high speeds, but on normal roads I dont expect to as my 335 feels firmly planted as I have adaptive suspension and I didn't check to see if this one does.

The only thing I could notice is the lack of torque. It was obvious stomping on the gas at 40mph. It definitely doesn't have the same 'push you back in your seat' feel at the 335. Although the sound was interesting, sounds like a 4 cylinder <insert car here> but this one moves a lot better. Especially, from stopped. I'd guess 0-40 without brake boosting, the 328 will be neck and neck with the 335. It feels quick off the line, just doesn't have the extra thrust the 335 has.

Didn't want to turn this into a 328 vs 335 debate or anything. It's definitely a good car and if it had sports seats and HUD it's a pretty good buy, but with all the options tacked on it gets pretty close to the 335's price. Definitely a fun tossable car though and not sure if there is a better 4 cylinder out there based on my extremely limited sample size.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
So I brought my F30 335i sport to the dealer for it's first service.

Any idea as to what the software update is? It's a 2012 if that makes a difference.
It's the FEM (Front Electronics Module) software update "recall".

SIB-61-36-12
Date of Bulletin: 01/18/2013

Summary Description:
BMW: TRUNK LID FAILS TO OPEN, HAZARD LIGHTS FLASHES PERMANENTLY, VEHICLE WILL LOCK AND UNLOCK ON ITS OWN, ALL INTERIOR LIGHTS, BY THEMSELVES, WILL TURN ON AND WHEN IGNITION IS TURNED OFF, WIPERS CONTINUE TO OPERATE.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post

SIB-61-36-12

Summary Description:
BMW: TRUNK LID FAILS TO OPEN, HAZARD LIGHTS FLASHES PERMANENTLY, VEHICLE WILL LOCK AND UNLOCK ON ITS OWN, ALL INTERIOR LIGHTS, BY THEMSELVES, WILL TURN ON AND WHEN IGNITION IS TURNED OFF, WIPERS CONTINUE TO OPERATE.
Thanks. Never had that happen, but that would be unpleasant to say the least. I read something about an update related to the ASS system for cars made in a 3 month window in late 2011/early 2012 that I thought may be it since my car fell in that range.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Never had that happen, but that would be unpleasant to say the least. I read something about an update related to the ASS system for cars made in a 3 month window in late 2011/early 2012 that I thought may be it since my car fell in that range.
I didn't have those symptoms either.

I do notice that the trunk opens quicker than before (no delay) after pushing the button or kicking. Much better than before.

I also noticed that ASS is much, much smoother than before. It's almost usable now.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I didn't have those symptoms either.

I do notice that the trunk opens quicker than before (no delay) after pushing the button or kicking. Much better than before.

I also noticed that ASS is much, much smoother than before. It's almost usable now.
Good to know it's not a waste of time.

How long did it take them to do the update/service? With all this NCAA madness going on I'm hoping they're done soon so I can go join the party without having to worry about going across town to pick up my car!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good to know it's not a waste of time.

How long did it take them to do the update/service? With all this NCAA madness going on I'm hoping they're done soon so I can go join the party without having to worry about going across town to pick up my car!
It seems to take a long time. The two times I've had the software updated, they just do it overnight. Supposedly it takes something like 8 hours. I have no idea why. Maybe they download the software over 1200 baud modems from Germany or something.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It seems to take a long time. The two times I've had the software updated, they just do it overnight. Supposedly it takes something like 8 hours. I have no idea why. Maybe they download the software over 1200 baud modems from Germany or something.
Ouch... It's been 5 hours so far. I sure hope they're done soon and it's not an overnight affair.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
vern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Sport 2006 X3

Quote:

SIB-61-36-12

Summary Description:
If they do a software update,will that remove the coding I had done? TIA
cheers
vern
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
If they do a software update,will that remove the coding I had done? TIA
cheers
vern
Yep, It did on mine. They updated 12 of the 21 modules in my car.

I'm also pretty sure that after they update the firmware, they VO code all of the modules. That's what wipes out the coding.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
vern
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I'm also pretty sure that after they update the firmware, they VO code all of the modules. That's what wipes out the coding.
I'm not having any of the problems that the update is suppose to correct. In your opinion should I pass on the up date.
cheers
vern
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

And all your profile settings apparently. Wiped all radio presets, HUD display settings, etc. Didn't affect saved and recent navigation places though which I was pleasantly surprised although I'm not sure why that didn't get wiped.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not having any of the problems that the update is suppose to correct. In your opinion should I pass on the up date.
cheers
vern
I got 48.2 installed about 3 weeks ago. I didn't really ask for the updates, they just did it when I had my oil changed . I just recoded my car when I got it back, not a big deal.

I think DrivenByE30 told his SA not to update the software and they complied, so that may be an option. He didn't want to lose the coding we did.

I found that the update helped some things:

1. BMW removed the trunk open delay that they added then they updated me to 47.4 back in August. Now when you push the button or kick, the truck opens instantly. Before, there was about a 1/2 second delay. I would always push the button again thinking that I had not push it properly. This applies to the interior and exterior trunk buttons. Much better without the delay.

2. The ASS stops and starts are much, much smoother after the update.

My car's back at the dealer this week having the rusty seat frames replaced and the SA said they they may update the software again (I think current is 49.1), so I'll probably have to recode it again when I get it back tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #13
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And all your profile settings apparently. Wiped all radio presets, HUD display settings, etc. Didn't affect saved and recent navigation places though which I was pleasantly surprised although I'm not sure why that didn't get wiped.
I always backup my profiles to a USB stick before I take it in. They are supposed to save & restore them, but they don't always do that.

I bring the USB stick with me and restore the profiles in the dealer lot before driving off!

I think the saved NAVI destination/trips are stored on the HDD, so reprogramming/coding the car will not affect them.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #14
vern
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I always backup my profiles to a USB stick before I take it in. They are supposed to save & restore them, but they don't always do that.
How do you do that?
cheers
vern
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #15
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How do you do that?
cheers
vern
With a USB stick in the glovebox, click Settings, Profiles and then Export Profile. Repeat for all profiles (you can use the same stick). Reverse for import.

It's in the manual under Profile management.

Cars without the tech package can export to the USB in the armrest.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #16
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I bring the USB stick with me and restore the profiles in the dealer lot before driving off!

I think the saved NAVI destination/trips are stored on the HDD, so reprogramming/coding the car will not affect them.
I thought about doing it, but didn't know about the coding until I handed the keys to the SA.

Live and learn.

What I want to know is why did the techs or the kid who pulled the car around need to basically lay the seat back into the back seat like they were trying to be a gangsta. I got in and felt like it was more set up to take a nap than drive. Why do they even need to adjust it at all to drive the car 20 feet?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #17
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for the comparison. Theres really no argument that the the 328i lacks the extra oomph of the 335i. The extra torque or "push back in the seat" does make a difference in what you feel during acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #18
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328inGE View Post
Thanks for the comparison. Theres really no argument that the the 328i lacks the extra oomph of the 335i. The extra torque or "push back in the seat" does make a difference in what you feel during acceleration.
I thought the whole point of the 328i was MPG. It's what everyone keeps bragging about.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #19
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
I thought the whole point of the 328i was MPG. It's what everyone keeps bragging about.
Not for me, it was more about getting to 60mph within .07 sec of the 335i and still getting 15-20% better MPG. Some manufacturers charge more for eco engines that save that much fuel over their other engines. BMW gave me an eco engine that is nearly as fast and for $3500 cheaper. It just doesn't sound or feel as good.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #20
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
It's a 1 mpg difference between the two cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #21
ft1338
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
What I want to know is why did the techs or the kid who pulled the car around need to basically lay the seat back into the back seat like they were trying to be a gangsta. I got in and felt like it was more set up to take a nap than drive. Why do they even need to adjust it at all to drive the car 20 feet?
He probably picked up some hoes with your car on his way to lunch break at the burger place. You better wipe down your steering wheel and possibly other parts real quick.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #22
JUSKIDN
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 EBII 328i M Sport

dont be hating on our 328s