F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > xDrive All-Wheel Drive Discussions > XDrive & DDHP vs M Sport
proTUNING Freaks

03-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
Strangec
Rep
Drives: '02 M3 Conv, '14 435i MSprt

XDrive & DDHP vs M Sport

I'm an E46 M3 'vert owner and am looing to add the 435 as a year round Minnesota car when its available to order.

As most know, the X-Drive doesn't come with the M Sport Suspension (even if you order the Sport or MSport lines). You can get Adaptive M suspension and the DHP. On RWD cars, you get the M Sport suspension in the Sport and M Sport lines.

As I understand it, the difference in the two suspensions is:
  • Adaptive M with DHP= An adjustible via botton suspension that can be either stiff or soft. Rides about 1/2" higher than the M Sport Suspension.
  • M Sport suspension is a stiffer traditional suspension that ride about 1/2" lower than standard using shorter springs.

For those that have driven both in the current 335, how does Adaptive M with DHP in an X Drive car compare to the M Sport in the RWD car?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

I've driven both now. The main difference is the feel around the curves. Xdrive actually felt good with the dhp. Maybe the tires could have felt a little more planted, but it wasn't bad at all.

Rwd felt sportier. Steering believe it or not felt a little more connected. The biggest difference is I felt rwd nicely connected to the road where xdrive road on top of the road.

Different experiences but both offer a great ride. But dhp is that must. Very true, it should be standard on sport or m sport. Period.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangec View Post
I'm an E46 M3 'vert owner and am looing to add the 435 as a year round Minnesota car when its available to order.

As most know, the X-Drive doesn't come with the M Sport Suspension (even if you order the Sport or MSport lines). You can get Adaptive M suspension and the DHP. On RWD cars, you get the M Sport suspension in the Sport and M Sport lines.

As I understand it, the difference in the two suspensions is:
  • Adaptive M with DHP= An adjustible via botton suspension that can be either stiff or soft. Rides about 1/2" higher than the M Sport Suspension.
  • M Sport suspension is a stiffer traditional suspension that ride about 1/2" lower than standard using shorter springs.

For those that have driven both in the current 335, how does Adaptive M with DHP in an X Drive car compare to the M Sport in the RWD car?
Going from a e46 to the F3x will be night and day with xdrive. The DHP will give you the flexibility of firming the ride on either RWD/AWD, and for 1K it's a *must get*. The dampers are electronically controlled, so essentially you are tuning how the suspension damps out road noise. It will also reduce body roll, but not as much as lowering springs.

If you ever want to recover the driving feel of your M3, I would go RWD no questions asked. OTOH, you live in Minnesota, and presuming you already run snow tires, I'd imagine you know whether or not you want your next car to be AWD.

If you plan on doing any suspension modifications, I'd recommend not getting DHP, since it's really expensive to properly lower the car while keeping the functionality of your electronic dampers - these are probably your only option:

http://www.kw-suspensions.eu/int/kw_ddc.php
      03-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
giorgioarmani
Private
Rep
Drives: silver m sport 335i & 19s

i have an xdrive and i can tell you it does feel high up when going around a curve at speed and on the highway i always fancy a stiffer less boaty feel. even in sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
reedo302
Estorilblau Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan Estoril 328i M Sport

Getting DHP is a requirement if you get xDrive. That's a given. I think the biggest issue is deciding if you want AWD vs RWD. Eliminate everything else from the equation and determine if you want to continue using RWD, or if you want the AWD instead. I've opted for the RWD for my F30, which affords me the ability to have the sport suspension and get the RWD performance and predictability. That said, it was a very difficult decision to not go with AWD and DHP. I will be modding my car, and I also track occasionally, so RWD and standard sport suspension is ideal for my position.
I tested a couple cars over the years before the F30 came out, and then when it came out I drove an xDrive w/out DHP and was not impressed. Sport suspension made a big difference in the way the car handled corners, as well as how planted the car felt in normal driving. I can tell the difference of that 0.5" increase of the xDrive, and I can feel it too. As was noted above by JK479, I felt like I was on top of the road with the xDrive.
If my car was more of a family car, I'd have opted for the xDrive and DHP to soften the ride while cruising.

The question is, what is ideal for your situation?
Appreciate 0