2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs First wash on a Black 535i! What to wash and dry with to avoid paint swirls?

03-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
DitrasetMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

First wash on a Black 535i! What to wash and dry with to avoid paint swirls?

Good evening,

I have had my 2013 535i for months now, and I have been afraid to wash it. Yup, because it is a non-metallic black and the second I wash and dry this baby, I will have paint swirls.

What soap should I buy? What should I buy to put the soap on the car (sponge)? What should I use to dry the car (I have heard that the "Absorber" chamois is the best)?

I am quite afraid of trapped dirt found in whatever applicator/drying mechanism I use - causing swirls. I would like to be able to buy the goods at a PepBoys, and not have to order it.

What type of wax should I use? What type of applicator?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 06:28 AM   #2
Luigi524TD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e MSport

Exclamation BLACK BMWs and Wash / Wax

I have had my 2013 535i for months now, and I have been afraid to wash it. Yup, because it is a non-metallic black and the second I wash and dry this baby, I will have paint swirls.
YIKES - a black BMW and months w/o a wash!! It's surely got a load of crud on the paint that you can't even see BUT you may feel. Whatever you decide to wash it with be sure to flood the paint with loads of water to loosen any of that crud before you grind it into the paint with a wash and dry!
What soap should I buy? What should I buy to put the soap on the car (sponge)? What should I use to dry the car (I have heard that the "Absorber" chamois is the best)?
SOAP: Most any commercially available auto soap is OK. PepBoys, Wal-Mart, Target, etc. for sure. Some are sold as wash-polish-wax miracle combo products. Don't think of them as a replacement for a real polish-wax job.

SPONGE = NO NO NO Even a GREAT open cell sponge will transport dirt and thus increase possibility of paint damage.

IMHO a microfiber mit is one of the best - I use a "FOAM GUN" first to lay a layer of auto soap over the car and let it sit for a few minutes and allow it to loosen any dirt on the surface. Then I hose it off - foam it again and then, working from the top down use a thick microfiber cloth and mit go over the paint.

"Absorber" chamois: NO NO NO !!! IMHO they are heavily marketed and one of the worst products ever foisted on the car cleaning public.

If you have a leaf blower I use it to first blow the water off a washed car then use another Microfiber or 100% thick cotton towel to finish the job.

Depending on how much muscle and time you have most of the (again) commercially available waxes would be fine - especially since you've delayed washing your BMW for months you probably won't have 5-6 hours to prep and wax your car. Maybe you should consider finding a local detailer who can take care of the hardest part of keeping your car clean. It may be worth the money for someone else to do a "minor" detail job 3-4 times a year.

PS - don't forget to wax your wheels!

I am quite afraid of trapped dirt found in whatever applicator/drying mechanism I use - causing swirls. I would like to be able to buy the goods at a PepBoys, and not have to order it.
What type of wax should I use? What type of applicator?
2013 X1 3.5 MSport
1998 Z3 2.8
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

I use the high pressure car wash nowadays. Pre-wash > Soap Wash > Rinse > Spotless Rinse > Drive around to air dry. I sometimes use a California Blade to remove excess water.

For Wax, I use Zymol products. It's easy to apply and easy to remove. It's water based so it's not harmful if you apply it in direct sunlight or a hot hood.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
j535i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535i xDrive

Meguiars products and using the two bucket method have worked well for me. Mine is black sapphire too and every car I've owned has been black, I feel the two bucket has def helped on this one vs my older cars I never used it. Clay bar often...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
I use the high pressure car wash nowadays. Pre-wash > Soap Wash > Rinse > Spotless Rinse > Drive around to air dry. I sometimes use a California Blade to remove excess water.

For Wax, I use Zymol products. It's easy to apply and easy to remove. It's water based so it's not harmful if you apply it in direct sunlight or a hot hood.
I haven't used Zymol for many years, but this doesn't sound like the proper application for any wax. Maybe for some pure sealants, but not for a wax.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

Two bucket method is ideal, but if you're not going to go for that, then at least wash from the top down. Don't start from under bumper and work your way up.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
redvitesse
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, E92, Xterra, RoverVitesse

What type of wax should I use? What type of applicator?[/QUOTE]

"IMHO a microfiber mit is one of the best - I use a "FOAM GUN" first to lay a layer of auto soap over the car and let it sit for a few minutes and allow it to loosen any dirt on the surface. Then I hose it off - foam it again and then, working from the top down use a thick microfiber cloth and mit go over the paint"

Agree with everything written here with the exception of what to wash with.

Swirls in paint are a product of a few things foremost trapped abrasives in what you wash the car with and what you dry with. As a general rule the less contact with the paint the less likely you are going to cause unsightly swirls.

A high quality Boars hair brush is the best item to use when you want to make sure to avoid swirls. A brush is less likely to trap abrasive dirt particles and unlike Nylon or other synthetics is truly non abrasive. A brush also allows you to get into tight cracks and joints. Do a search for Boars Hair Brush and you will find many vendors that sell these. Also, for drying by hand use a high quality car squeegee and then try to use air to dry what is left behind. If you do not have room or the inclination for an air compressor, an electric leaf blower will allow you to dry and remove water from crevices with little need for a follow up with 100% cotton or shammee. Also, the idea of circular application and removal of wax is an old one. Hand application of almost all high quality wax should be straight back and forth. Circular motion is reserved only for glaze application and other paint prep with abrasives. Glaze is also best when applied with the use of an orbital or experienced individuals with a direct drive machine. I am not trying to show anyone up here, but I started detailing exotics before I had a drivers license. Driving is only half the fun of ownership > Have fun takeing care of them too.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 11:32 PM   #8
STORM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Space Gray/Black

Most important part of the process, especially on a super dirty car is use 2 buckets, one with an insert in the bottom. You have one bucket to clean your mitt with after washing a panel, scrub the mitt on the insert so all the sand, dirt and particles settle in the bottom. Then put your mitt in the clean soapy bucket before starting another section. This costs you an extra 5 gallon bucket and the bucket insert. With a car with as much build up as yours you want to use a good pre wash soak, rinse, and then proceed with the above process. Have had a few black cars, and this method I learned from Mike at Auto Geek has served me the best. Be sure to examine the material left in the bottom of your "dirty" water and you'll be glad you didn't rub your paint with a dirty mitt. There are videos on the Auto Geek website that cover just about any scenario you may encounter, and their products and prices are the best I've found. For car was soap, I have used the cheap stuff, but the pinnacle wash only requires one capful, it seems to lasts forever. Bite the bullet, spend a few hundred bucks for good microfiber towels, and the laundry soap especially for microfiber towels. Auto geek sells awesome drying towels, they're green, and they last for years if you take care of them.

I use an old entertainment center I bought off craigslist with 2 doors up top, and 3 drawers, I keep all my stuff in that, it works great and is out of sight. Defiantly invest in a quality wheel wax and tire gel, you apply with a sponge.

Most importantly, was your rags with the microfiber soap, otherwise they are never the same...