E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 1st gear hard to engage?

11-26-2005, 06:48 PM   #1
Xens
Eh
Rep
Drives: Is Turbo'd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
1st gear hard to engage?

I've noticed the "rubbery" feeling in the shifter since I first got the car, never really paid attention to it.

Yesterday I was in a parking lot and had to stop to let some people pass so I downshifted to 1st, not realizing that I didn't actually go fully into 1st I tried to take off and it made this the sound as if you try to start the car while the engine is running (done that on the old car, haha) I immediately pressed the clutch, pulled it into neutral and made sure it properly went into 1st before I took off and went home.

Maybe that incident is making me paranoid but I'm actually starting to feel difficulty engaging 1st from a dead stop sometimes, makes me worried that there might be something wrong. Am I obsessed or should I get it checked out? :
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 07:06 PM   #2
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
sounds like you wre grinding some gears there fello, Ouch! better see the doctor soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 07:21 PM   #3
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

You're not supposed to downshift into 1st anyway.

I doubt anything serious happened, but if it makes you feel better you should just go and get it checked out.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 07:23 PM   #4
Xens
Eh
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais
sounds like you wre grinding some gears there fello, Ouch! better see the doctor soon.
Yeah thanks, that will probably happen soon.

But know that this isn't the first time I'm feeling difficulty going into 1st gear, like I said I didn't bother to pay much attention before.

I'm trying to find out whether the amplified sensation is due to me looking for it on purpose or due to what happened last night.

Can't help but feel a lot of sarcasm in your reply there, anymore suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 07:29 PM   #5
BMRAMA
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

Garage List
I think you're over reacting. The transmission is built to last 70, 80, 100k miles. One start slightly out of gear will not destroy it.

Am I right in guessing this is your first manual?

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 07:33 PM   #6
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
I'd be safe than sorry, go to your dealer, xplain the abnormality, and say that ase sent you. ok?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 08:01 PM   #7
Xens
Eh
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
You're not supposed to downshift into 1st anyway.

I doubt anything serious happened, but if it makes you feel better you should just go and get it checked out.
That doesn't make sense shim, I stopped dead to let the people pass, they were walking slowly and I wasn't rolling. How could I have taken off in 2nd?

Or are you talking about something else? I don't get it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 08:04 PM   #8
Xens
Eh
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRAMA
I think you're over reacting. The transmission is built to last 70, 80, 100k miles. One start slightly out of gear will not destroy it.

Am I right in guessing this is your first manual?
Probably, knowing myself I'm usually obsessed about one thing or another, keeps my mind busy otherwise I get bored.

But I'll probably make an appointment and let the dealer check it out, like ase said, better safe than sorry. It's just always a lot of hassles and time-consuming going into service for anything big or small. I try my best to stay out of it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 08:12 PM   #9
Xens
Eh
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais
I'd be safe than sorry, go to your dealer, xplain the abnormality, and say that ase sent you. ok?
Are you trying to be funny? I don't get it and I'm not in the mood for jokes now. ok?

Thanks for your advice, that's enough.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 08:32 PM   #10
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

I've noticed the same thing. Some of the time when trying to put the car in first (from a dead stop) it feels as if there is a little "bump" in the shifter that you have to overcome to get the gear fully engaged. Wasn't sure this was normal or not .

I'd like to hear what your dealer has to say about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 08:41 PM   #11
Xens
Eh
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by espo89
I've noticed the same thing. Some of the time when trying to put the car in first (from a dead stop) it feels as if there is a little "bump" in the shifter that you have to overcome to get the gear fully engaged. Wasn't sure this was normal or not .

I'd like to hear what your dealer has to say about it.
I've had that since day one but I'm just finding it more pronounced now, it's either because I somehow messed it up some more or because it's constantly on my mind so I try to look for it at every stop light.

I'll let you know what the dealer says about it, think I'll manage to fit a service appointment in there sometime next week, god I hate the appointment and service stuff, but whatever.

Stay tuned.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 08:57 PM   #12
fredtoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325 328 350

Garage List
1986 328  [0.00]
2006 325  [0.00]
All standard transmissions occaionally have this "bump" going into first from a stop.
It's because the teeth on the gears are not lined up exactly for them to mesh when you push the lever into first gear.
You do not feel this in any of the other gears, as they are spinning when you go to make the shift.

When you are stopped, and it does not want to go all the way into first, just put it back in neutral, and then lift and re-depress the clutch pedal. This will get the gears to move, and you should be able to put it completly into gear.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 09:02 PM   #13
Xens
Eh
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoo
All standard transmissions occaionally have this "bump" going into first from a stop.
It's because the teeth on the gears are not lined up exactly for them to mesh when you push the lever into first gear.
You do not feel this in any of the other gears, as they are spinning when you go to make the shift.

When you are stopped, and it does not want to go all the way into first, just put it back in neutral, and then lift and re-depress the clutch pedal. This will get the gears to move, and you should be able to put it completly into gear.
That's exactly what's happening to me, if I put it back into neutral, let the clutch out and repeat the process again it will go into gear, actually, that's what made me think there was something wrong. I guess it's probably a normal behavior and it's my obsessive personality amplifying the seriousness of the issue.

I'm planning to get it checked out anyways, it'll put my overactive mind to rest.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 09:41 PM   #14
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xens
That doesn't make sense shim, I stopped dead to let the people pass, they were walking slowly and I wasn't rolling. How could I have taken off in 2nd?

Or are you talking about something else? I don't get it.
lol I thought you meant you downshifted to 1st, then stopped with the clutch in, then when you tried to go again, you found out that you didn't engage 1st gear all the way, and it made that disgusting blow up omg sound?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 09:45 PM   #15
Xens
Eh
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
lol I thought you meant you downshifted to 1st, then stopped with the clutch in, then when you tried to go again, you found out that you didn't engage 1st gear all the way, and it made that disgusting blow up omg sound?
You know, everytime I see one of your posts I tend to completely ignore the body of text and just stare at the pic in your sig .................................................. ......................................

I'm sorry what? Oh yeah that wasn't what I was talking ...... um ...... about .................................................. ............................
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 09:47 PM   #16
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You know, everytime I see one of your posts I tend to completely ignore the body of text and stare at the pic in your sig .................................................. ......................................

I'm sorry what? Oh yeah that wasn't what I was talking ...... um ...... about .................................................. ............................
How about now?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 09:57 PM   #17
Xens
Eh
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
How about now?
@#$*!#^&!@()$*!@)#*$@*^)@#!$^*!#(@$!@)#

I CLICKED ON THE LINK IN YOUR SIG, YOU BASTARD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damn how did I forget about these things, lol. Hey where did the girl go? Oh well I guess I'll just have to stare at your avatar then ..........
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 10:39 PM   #18
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@#$*!#^&!@()$*!@)#*$@*^)@#!$^*!#(@$!@)#

I CLICKED ON THE LINK IN YOUR SIG, YOU BASTARD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damn how did I forget about these things, lol. Hey where did the girl go? Oh well I guess I'll just have to stare at your avatar then ..........
lol that one scared the crap out of me. I'm changing my avatar and sig soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2005, 09:28 AM   #19
tiga901
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i, mt pp sp

Hey, I got the some issues with the first gear as well but it's not repeatable. It happens in random, could be the cdv. If you cannot repeat it at the dealership, you are SOL. They will stare at you with blank faces as if this never happens in a BMW. So unless you can repeat it, don't bother going to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2005, 10:40 AM   #20
Atty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 X5 48i M-Sport

Garage List
The problem is common to alot of cars, especially Bimmers. Have the same problem in my E46 too; shifter just feels clunky. I don't think there are any adjustments that can be made to eliminate this.

Putting it in neutral is good advice; also can take it almost into 2nd, then to 1st; this also helps to aligns the gears and is what I do almost religiously before shifting into 1st.

The important thing is to take it easy and be gentle with it. If it doesn't work the first time, pull it back out, take a deep breath, and slowly try to stick it in again..

Wait...I'm not exactly sure what we are talking about anymore.
      11-27-2005, 01:23 PM   #21
Xens
Eh
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atty
The problem is common to alot of cars, especially Bimmers. Have the same problem in my E46 too; shifter just feels clunky. I don't think there are any adjustments that can be made to eliminate this.

Putting it in neutral is good advice; also can take it almost into 2nd, then to 1st; this also helps to aligns the gears and is what I do almost religiously before shifting into 1st.

The important thing is to take it easy and be gentle with it. If it doesn't work the first time, pull it back out, take a deep breath, and slowly try to stick it in again..

Wait...I'm not exactly sure what we are talking about anymore.

Good advice.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2005, 01:39 PM   #22
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Every manual I've ever driven has been like this. The reason (as it was explained to me so don't flame me if I'm wrong ) is that first gear doesn't have a syncro like the other gears so if you're moving and want to shift into first, you'll have to rev match on your own or if you're stoped and the gears didn't line up quite follow what fredtoo said above. You can take this as an opportunity to learn how to double clutch too.
Appreciate 0