M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

04-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
engine oil level indicator on - right after oil change

I went in for an oil change and made the switch to German Castrol 0W-30.

After getting car back was heading to office and oil light went on asking for one more quart. I went back and they added a quart - turns out they only had put in 8 quarts instead of 8.9.

They said that should do it. Oil level light didn't go off. However after resetting it, it went away. On way to office, it came on again and car is asking for one more quart of oil.

Any thoughts on this? Surely it can't burn one quart in 15 miles? I am reluctant to add another quart in case it overfills.

Up till today my car only burnt a quarter of a quart in 6800 miles.

Advice?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Any thoughts on this? Surely it can't burn one quart in 15 miles? I am reluctant to add another quart in case it overfills.

Up till today my car only burnt a quarter of a quart in 6800 miles.

Advice?
This was at a BMW dealership? They don't test drive after an oil change? In any case this is too odd and with potential major problems, take it to the dealer. They can drain and refill if they aren't sure how much they put in when they did the change. Or, change out the oil level sensor if that's bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

... sounds like it's software. If they indeed added almost 9 qts, then do NOT add more.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead
... sounds like it's software. If they indeed added almost 9 qts, then do NOT add more.
They checked the sensor and it was okay. Then they insisted on adding one more quart and that's what they did.

Car is running great and oil level is claiming to be correct.

Very odd.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

This electronic oil level measuring system is really a PITA. I haven't experience anything odd with the M5 just yet, but back in the old days when I had the E90 M3, that thing can jump all over the leveling quite often when restart the car. The similar system on Porsche seems to work much better.

Proper way to ensure the oil isn't overfill or under-fill would probably be draining all of them and put them back in with exact measurement?
      04-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Honestly I always check the oil level every time I get a car back from a service and I only use official dealerships. The number of times the level has been under filled is incredibly. I suspect that is what happened and that the sensor was always correct.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
mpresiv5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

I have 10k miles on my M5 and have gotten my oil changed 4 times.

The first 3 times, the dealer I bought the car from, topped off the oil to the maximum as shown by the OIL SETTING METER.

My oil level has been low for over a week so I went to a DIFFERENT dealer near my work. I clearly told him I want the oil TOPPED OFF. When I got the car back, I checked the oil setting meter and it was only 1/2 full.

I told the service advisor it was only 1/2 full (per the meter), and he told me it takes time for the reading of the meter to accurately measure the level. He went on to explain he has been doing this for awhile and knows what needs to be done.

I checked my oil setting meter 4 hours later, and it is at the exact same point (1/2 full) after I got the oil change.

I usually get an oil level low reading every 2500 miles after being TOPPED OFF. My problem is that, now, since its 1/2 full, I have to get the oil changed around ~1250 miles.

The dealer I usually go to is TISCHER BMW, and they do great work. The service team is friendly and really make you feel special. When I go there to get an oil change, I am in and out in under ten minutes flat.

The dealer I went to today was VOB BMW, and I probably will NOT go back there again. Granted it was my first time going there for this car, it took 45 minutes to get the oil change and I left unsatisfied.

Both dealers are official BMW dealers, but have different ownership/management. Their quality of care for the car and the individual vary.

Just my 2 cents.