F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30/31 performance exhaust cruise sound level?
GetBMWParts

04-08-2013, 03:30 AM   #1
Sprocket
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 328i

F30/31 performance exhaust cruise sound level?

Hi,

I am considering a m performance exhaust for my F31 328 sport, and have seen the comparisons during idle and revving. However, I am curious about the added sound level during cruise.

I would definitely like more sound during idle and accelleration / high revs as I find the sound the single biggest letdown of the car. It's also a tad too quiet when driving actively in manual, especially with music on.

However, I do not want too much added ambient engine noise during cruise (say 50mph+) at lower revs. I very much like that the car is quiet during longer trips and I know my wife will hate me if she has to listen to a droning exhaust for hours.

I would be very thankful if those of you who have added the exhause would care to weigh in on this. How big is the difference at lower revs and in "cruise mode"? Thanks!
      04-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
mhdelarosa
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 328i Mineral Grey Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket
Hi,

I am considering a m performance exhaust for my F31 328 sport, and have seen the comparisons during idle and revving. However, I am curious about the added sound level during cruise.

I would definitely like more sound during idle and accelleration / high revs as I find the sound the single biggest letdown of the car. It's also a tad too quiet when driving actively in manual, especially with music on.

However, I do not want too much added ambient engine noise during cruise (say 50mph+) at lower revs. I very much like that the car is quiet during longer trips and I know my wife will hate me if she has to listen to a droning exhaust for hours.

I would be very thankful if those of you who have added the exhause would care to weigh in on this. How big is the difference at lower revs and in "cruise mode"? Thanks!
I have the m perf exhaust for my f30 328i. Cabin noise from the exhaust is non-existent when cruising below about 2k rpm. Anytime you pull above 2k rpm, you'll definitely hear the m exhaust go off.

It's a perfect exhaust for those that want the ability to be discreet on command. Given that, it's not gonna be louder than other exhausts on the market when you are accelerating aggressively, but it is still a significant change from stock.

I think all the videos posted on the m exhaust are pretty accurate and you can use them to compare against others exhausts out there.

My opinion is that the m exhaust is perfect for people that want the flexibility of driving on the quiet side when they want. If you want more power or don't care about being discreet at times, definitely go with a different exhaust.
      04-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
MPE is not that much different from stock noise levels when cruising. Slightly more noticeable and a lot more enjoyable.
Appreciate 0