E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > possible turbo problems?

05-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
kolio
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

possible turbo problems?

i have an 07 e92 335i with 58k

a few months ago i was at the dealer fighting with them trying to get a new cat. one of the ones on the downpipes clogged and caused me a lot of issues. i got them to replace the one after fighting for a week. the car used to have an original proceed on it. but i removed it 8 months ago.

the car currently only has the harman motive/vishnu exhaust (fully divorced. will be adding an x pipe soon). no secondary cats.

When i am driving in any of the lower 3 gears and i let the car engine brake. it gargles a lot and pops. i know thats not good. it's also not very smooth building boost. and my revs jump sometimes. if i let it idle for 5 min and take off it blows smoke out of the exhaust. i also noticed it's leaking a little at a few exhaust connections under the car and there is alot of black soot there. same on the tailpipes. i also have had to add 2/2.5 quarts of oil in the past 7 months

reapirs done in the last 8k miles:

all coil packs replaced
all spark plugs replaced
3 new injectors and 3 resealed
all other maintenance items completed.

are my snails done?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
rismo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335

Oil could also be related by leaking gaskets.
Gorgels and pops are by knowledge not a problem, mainly caused by vacuum in the exhaust and part of this engine and will be strengthed by your exhaust. It could be an ignition issue but that would be much louder and you would immediately notice that.

2/2.5 quarts in 7 months is pretty normal for this engine of course depending on the amount of miles. (It drinks oil like vodka)

The oil in the exhaust could also be related to a leaking headgasket, leaking oilfilter housing (gasket) and the gasket of valve cover.

You could take the downpipes of and inspect your turbo's.
Your rev jumps can also be caused by either fuel pump issues or bad sensors which could also cause an abnormal boost build up.

Also incorrect oil could lead to oil / water fumes, as the turbo's require a certain type of oil thickness for sealing.

Do the turbo's make noise (whining)?
So you have only the exhaust as tuned part?
Did you check for codes?
Do you use the correct oil?
Do you notice any oil residu around the engine itself?
BMW 335 E92 09 - Full options - DKG - MHD by Buraq - RB Next Gen - RB Inlets/Outlet - Forge Diverter Valves - AR Catless DP - Afe Intake - Helix IC - FuelIT Stage 2 LPFP - Ar Oil Cooler - PPK Water Cooler - M3 Suspension - JRZ RS1 Shocks - Eibach Pro Springs - Drexler LSD - BMW IS Exhaust - Carbon Endurance Brake Pads - Stainless Steel Brake Lines - M101 Wheels - Michelin PS2 - M-Tech Body - M-Strutbar
BMW M550i G30 2019 - BM3
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
kolio
Private
Rep

there doesn't appear to be any oil leaks. there are no codes of any kind. i forgot to mention the car had the fuel pump replaced.

the gargling and popping in the exhaust never used to happen. it's only when i started having issues with the clogged cat. then it went away, and it's back. if the turbos are leaking or burning oil, it would cause the cats to clog.

when the car is idling it sounds funny now too. exhaust sounds weird and constricted. but i could be imagining it.

the oil is changed and topped off with correctly with the correct oil

sometimes i can hear the turbos sometimes not..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

I pulled my cats and my car smoked like crazy. WG were shot and have been for 30k. Just got approval to have the turbo's replaced because of oil consumption. Play dumb and take it in and tell them your going through a lot of oil. qt every 2k. With your history of clogged cat, they should replace the turbos under the turbo extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #5
kolio
Private
Rep

i would but i caught hell for the exhaust last time. i need to borrow a factory exhaust for a week lol

my dp's are stock but after that its a no no
Appreciate 0