F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > How to accomplish in USA?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

How to accomplish in USA?

New Member and really not sure where to start here.

Looking if any coders have any insight on this - I have pulled the appropiate threads/quotes to give you an idea of where I am going:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCali View Post
And because of its big battery pack (AH3), you can engage the air conditioning to turn on and cool down the car from your iPhone wherever you are before you get back to your car. Imagine eating a meal on a hot day or spending the day at a theme park and you can precondition your car so it's ice cold inside before you even get back to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
New 2013 AH3 (F30H) owner.

One of the key reasons I went with the AH3 was for the feature you listed above. In Florida, it is really needed!

But bottom line, I cannot get this feature to work. The Dealer says the car WILL NOT do this, which I am somewhat miffed about, as I read it elsewhere only finding this forum last night.

So, does this car do this - as has been stated on this thread - and in other publications - or is this a fairy tale? If it does, anyone have instructions?

Thanks in Advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong View Post
It appears to be supported in other countries. I have no idea why the US got the shaft there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post

I was able to enable this "feature" in my car through some coding, but it does nothing because I don't have the actual hardware - which I assume is an ECU that has the ability to start up the car and monitor gas, temperature etc. I'd guess on the hybrid you already have the hardware to run this feature, so you need to do some coding. Maybe poke around the coding forum and see if someone local can help you out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Unfortunately, I don't have a BMW, for the VW family of vehicles the company Ross Tech provides the OBD2 tool VAGCOM for use with their software VCDS. Someone within the Audi community figured out the coding for this feature on the B8 platform.

I'm sure someone in the BMW coding forum has likewise figured it out, just takes one person to guinea pig through it, and there usually is some commonality among a companies lineup, so someone who did it on a 5 series should also be able to help

Quote:
I suspect it's not just coding. It's the BMW remote smartphone app that is restricting features by region. I already have a button on my remote for firing up my AC with compressor and all.... The car is clearly already coded for auxiliary AC.

Quote:
The AH3 already supports, AC wise:
- Turning on the AC right after the car shuts off by hitting the fan increase button.
- Turning on the AC at two preset times via the nav menu
- Turning on the AC by pressing and holding the diamond button on the key fob, at any time.

As long as you have more than 5% or so HV battery charge, the car will comply, and you'll hear the compressor kick on.

In the US, it does not support turning it on via the iPhone app. The iPhone app can be used to send nav addresses to the car, locate the car, lock/unlock the car, beep the horn / flash the lights, but not activate the AC. The reason for that is unknown, as the AH3 cools the car solely using the HV battery's excess charge.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
phx08
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MKV Jetta

In for more information. This could be a great en devour to whoever can get this feature to work.
Appreciate 0